Miami Dolphins - 2014 Free Agent Rumors | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins - 2014 Free Agent Rumors

I'd like to know the reasoning behind the Dallas Thomas pick?

Irish?
Turner?
Philbin?

Which one of the three blind mice is responsible for him?

it really feels like we are going to spend about another 15 or so M in FA and thats about it which would save us some MORE money going into 2015 when the new TV contracts are factored

maybe because there is no reasoning behind it.

got a link with philbin himself saying he doesnt like to start rookies? because he came out of green bay where young talent doesnt rot on the bench. they get 'em in and get 'em going.

and YOU have to remember that we had jeff ireland providing the rookies for this team. philbin didnt have ANYTHING from last years draft TO start! jordan, our prized 3rd overall was an injury concern BEFORE being drafted as well as our top cb selection and a couple others. there comes a point where you have to have bodies on the field and when you have a 98% bust draft handed to you and not much the year before, well, if their injured and cant play or they just cant play because they suck and cant beat out an old veteren, what do you do?

philbin has worked with what he has, and that aint much!! if your rookies suck or are injured why force them in the lineup just to say, "see! i started these here rookie boys"!!

i am sure he would LOVE to start some rookies, he's probably chomping at the bit, but he has to be given healthy prospects who can actually beat someone out in camp.

it hasnt happened.

I stand corrected...

"Q: Other than Ryan Tannehill, Jonathan Martin and Caleb Sturgis every other rookie under Joe Philbin has had to earn there playing time the past two years. I have heard of sitting a rookie QB for a season and let him learn the ropes, but it seems like Philbin does this with all rookies. His original plan was to sit Tannehill his rookie year. Do you think this mentality hurts the team in the long run or helps it? Is this a company policy to sit rookies? James, Moody, AFB

A: Miami's orginal plan was to sit Tannehill as a rookie because he couldn't beat out David Garrard. But he eventually beat out Matt Moore and played. Tannehill earned it. Playing time under Philbin has been earned, and every rookie the past two years has had his opportunity to get on the field. The problem is, most of them can't beat out their competition. Dion Jordan didn't play more because the former Oregon linebacker couldn't set the edge properly. So his snaps went to Derrick Shelby, who has a pretty decent second season. Dallas Thomas got the first crack at replacing John Jerry as the team's starting right guard and he struggled tremendously in camp. He was the first backup to Martin at left tackle and struggled there too. That's why he didn't play. Jamar Taylor's training camp was short-circuited by his groin issue, but Will Davis had a decent camp, pulling down more than half a dozen interceptions in practice. Problem is Davis was inconsistent, struggled in the exhibition season, and didn't prove he was better than Nolan Carroll and Jimmy Wilson in practices. If he had practiced better than Carroll and Wilson there's no doubt Davis would have been playing. Same applies to linebacker Jelani Jenkins. He was bad in training camp, but as he got better he started to earn playing time. I'm fine with rookies EARNING their time because I get to watch practice and I can see how they perform, and what their issues are. None of last year's rookies - outside of Sturgis of course - earned significant playing time. However, that doesn't mean they won't develop into second year contributors like Olivier Vernon and Lamar Miller did in 2013. Sometimes it takes time and patience for a rookie to blossom."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-askomar,0,6671297.story

But, Philbin signed off on the drafting of injured Jordan...

"Earlier in the week, during an organization dinner, Ross had polled all the Dolphins' coaches, asking them who, with no regard to position or draft pick, each coach would want on the team. The name that kept coming up was Jordan. When Ireland told Ross he was going to call Oakland five minutes into the 10 minute draft clock for the Raiders' selection, Ross thought it was a joke."

http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/4/26/4271556/dolphins-draft-picks-dion-jordan-ireland-ross-reflect-on-trade-to-get

More disturbing about our draft is the final snap count, 866:

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2013/12/31/rookie-fail-no-draft-class-had-less-snaps-in-2013-than-the-miami-dolphins/

Dolphinssnaps.jpg

compared to the rest of the league:

Snaprankings.jpg

But that is not true of the 2012 class, 3603 snaps:

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2013/01/01/2012-nfl-final-rookie-snap-counts/

But not every finger can be pointed at Ireland. Jordan was drafted to replace an under-impressive Vernon. Jordan couldn't do it when healthy, which either speaks to Philbin's inability to grade Jordan pre-draft or develop/asses Vernon after 1 year.

The coaches signed off on the draft picks with Ireland. I agree Philbin has not had much to work with after seeing their progress over each year, but he did sign off on the drafting of these players. So, maybe the more important statement here is Philbin cannot identify or assess his development of talent under his own nose.

I'm starting to question what he does well.

Anthony collins, monroe, and Albert are all on our radar as potential upgrades at left tackle. Key is to lock down one of these players, because it's easier to replace other positions on oline. Afraid we will sign true blood at right tackle. Don't be surprised if miami signs a center in Free agency and moves Pouncey to guard. Pouncey was Irelands pick and his antics makes him no guarantee to resign.

I stand corrected...

"Q: Other than Ryan Tannehill, Jonathan Martin and Caleb Sturgis every other rookie under Joe Philbin has had to earn there playing time the past two years. I have heard of sitting a rookie QB for a season and let him learn the ropes, but it seems like Philbin does this with all rookies. His original plan was to sit Tannehill his rookie year. Do you think this mentality hurts the team in the long run or helps it? Is this a company policy to sit rookies? James, Moody, AFB

A: Miami's orginal plan was to sit Tannehill as a rookie because he couldn't beat out David Garrard. But he eventually beat out Matt Moore and played. Tannehill earned it. Playing time under Philbin has been earned, and every rookie the past two years has had his opportunity to get on the field. The problem is, most of them can't beat out their competition. Dion Jordan didn't play more because the former Oregon linebacker couldn't set the edge properly. So his snaps went to Derrick Shelby, who has a pretty decent second season. Dallas Thomas got the first crack at replacing John Jerry as the team's starting right guard and he struggled tremendously in camp. He was the first backup to Martin at left tackle and struggled there too. That's why he didn't play. Jamar Taylor's training camp was short-circuited by his groin issue, but Will Davis had a decent camp, pulling down more than half a dozen interceptions in practice. Problem is Davis was inconsistent, struggled in the exhibition season, and didn't prove he was better than Nolan Carroll and Jimmy Wilson in practices. If he had practiced better than Carroll and Wilson there's no doubt Davis would have been playing. Same applies to linebacker Jelani Jenkins. He was bad in training camp, but as he got better he started to earn playing time. I'm fine with rookies EARNING their time because I get to watch practice and I can see how they perform, and what their issues are. None of last year's rookies - outside of Sturgis of course - earned significant playing time. However, that doesn't mean they won't develop into second year contributors like Olivier Vernon and Lamar Miller did in 2013. Sometimes it takes time and patience for a rookie to blossom."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-askomar,0,6671297.story

But, Philbin signed off on the drafting of injured Jordan...

"Earlier in the week, during an organization dinner, Ross had polled all the Dolphins' coaches, asking them who, with no regard to position or draft pick, each coach would want on the team. The name that kept coming up was Jordan. When Ireland told Ross he was going to call Oakland five minutes into the 10 minute draft clock for the Raiders' selection, Ross thought it was a joke."

http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/4/26/4271556/dolphins-draft-picks-dion-jordan-ireland-ross-reflect-on-trade-to-get

More disturbing about our draft is the final snap count, 866:

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2013/12/31/rookie-fail-no-draft-class-had-less-snaps-in-2013-than-the-miami-dolphins/

View attachment 12258

compared to the rest of the league:

View attachment 12259

But that is not true of the 2012 class, 3603 snaps:

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2013/01/01/2012-nfl-final-rookie-snap-counts/

But not every finger can be pointed at Ireland. Jordan was drafted to replace an under-impressive Vernon. Jordan couldn't do it when healthy, which either speaks to Philbin's inability to grade Jordan pre-draft or develop/asses Vernon after 1 year.

The coaches signed off on the draft picks with Ireland. I agree Philbin has not had much to work with after seeing their progress over each year, but he did sign off on the drafting of these players. So, maybe the more important statement here is Philbin cannot identify or assess his development of talent under his own nose.

I'm starting to question what he does well.

After looking at the draft class last year I still have hope for them. I think there are 7 off our list that will end up being good NFL players. For some reason it will take them longer to develop than typical classes. Jenkins, Jordan, and Sturgis showed good signs last season and will only get better. Davis, Jones, Sims, and Taylor will get better the more they play. I think after 3 years of these players being on the team we all might be surprised how they have improved.

not a rumour but Brian Tyms got released. I would happily bring him to camp

Jordan was not playing at full strength - that is a bad injury to start your career from - I had a similar surgery it takes time

After looking at the draft class last year I still have hope for them. I think there are 7 off our list that will end up being good NFL players. For some reason it will take them longer to develop than typical classes. Jenkins, Jordan, and Sturgis showed good signs last season and will only get better. Davis, Jones, Sims, and Taylor will get better the more they play. I think after 3 years of these players being on the team we all might be surprised how they have improved.

If Sturgis has another season like the one he just had he can kiss his NFL career goodbye. He better hope he gets better.

Depending on how we address the O-line in free agency, plan B could be Calvin Pryor in the draft.

I don't like that fit with R. Jones. Like Jones, he's best playing in the box. He has ball skills, but I don't love his angles or his awareness as he gets further away from the LOS.

I could live with Dix, but I wouldn't love it, and he might not be there. Friday will be a big deal for Jimmie Ward, but he's the guy I like best (in general) and as the best compliment to Jones.

Pryor can play either Safety position. Stud.

please god no Zane Beadles, dude is another Andy Levitre, you don't pay up big bucks for overachievers

Back
Top Bottom