Miami Dolphins are trying to upgrade at nickel cornerback spot | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins are trying to upgrade at nickel cornerback spot

I agree.

I don't think we should take away what Howard does best and that's play the boundary.

So we're basically hoping McCain steps up lol

In all fairness, it is hard to address every need although they did do a great job IMO

I did love the Tankersley pick.

Big, fast, good ball skills, lengthy, tackles low which is great for a man his height and build.

I think Howard and Cordera are our future boundary corners.

I read something say we coveted Cordrea so much that if something crazy happened we would've pick him.

In any other draft, a guy with his size, speed, and ball skills, would be an early 2nd rder

Limited use as Cover 2 press zone CB and doesn't like to tackle. He'd fall into the latter part of the 2nd day every year.

As usual i'm rooting for the incumbent - McCain, would be nice to see him solidify his position as our starting slot corner

He's yet another guy being talked up this offseason...

That’s something coach Adam Gase noted earlier this week. Gase said the team believes McCain is improving.

“Bobby improved a lot through the year,” Gase said. “He started to understand what we were asking him to do. We always kind of have that discussion of ‘We’ve got the leverages down, now let’s be tighter. Let’s make some more plays on the ball.’ He’s done that in this camp. He’s had some PBUs (pass breakups) and getting tight on some coverage.”

McCain said one of his points of emphasis in camp is to create more turnovers.

McCain, a fifth-round draft choice of the Dolphins in 2015, has only one interception and one forced fumble in 32 career games.

“Just getting hands on the football,” he said. “That’s what I want to do. That’s what we want to do. The more turnovers I have the more chances the offense gets to score. That’s how we look at it. Being able to create turnovers, get hands on the football. That can make you a championship team.”

source: http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...lking-miami-dolphins-teammates-in-this-photo/

That was my first thought as well. I know there were other needs more pressing, but this draft did seem like a great opportunity to find someone to challenge in the nickle even in the late rounds. Desmond King comes to mind as a player who ended up going in R5.
Tons of holes on this team from last year, only way in the draft to fill all of them was to trade down accumulate more picks in later rounds and hope they pan out. Offensive guard and another outside linebacker would have helped too.

Sure Tankersley might be a better boundary corner than slot, but if the option is to play him some at slot or have him sit the bench behind Howard, Maxwell and Lippett this year than I would rather see him on the field improving his slot skills and gaining some experience that might help when does get time on the boundary. I would at least give him a look at the job in training camp.

Limited use as Cover 2 press zone CB and doesn't like to tackle. He'd fall into the latter part of the 2nd day every year.

Cordrea (pronounced cohr-DRAY) Tankersley is important to this draft because he’s something of a sleeper the Dolphins have identified in the second round that could be a first-round option if, and only if, everything goes horrible in the first round.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...-salguero/article146944114.html#storylink=cpy

Cordrea (pronounced cohr-DRAY) Tankersley is important to this draft because he’s something of a sleeper the Dolphins have identified in the second round that could be a first-round option if, and only if, everything goes horrible in the first round.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...-salguero/article146944114.html#storylink=cpy

I don't care what the media claimed the Dolphins had him marked as. He fell late into the third for us as well as 31 other teams that passed him in 3 rounds.

Last edited:
If you say so. I think he's a man corner that'll do fine in the slot when asked to play there.

Well, outside of zone we'll defend trips, bunch, strength overloads, etc. w/ pattern match which starts with zone principles but ends with man coverage after routes are declared. That still doesn't fit Tanerksly's strengths as a press and bail CB.

Anything else you have to add?

I don't care what the media claimed the Dolphins had him marked as. He fell late into the third for us as well as 31 other teams that passed him in 3 rounds.

Okay that's exactly what I said about Jordan Willis and I'm pretty sure we had an exchange saying the same things lol

Why did 31 other teams pass on him for 2nd a hlf rds?

It's the same story for the most part.

How can you or anyone just dismiss the idea of it happening?

I understand you don't care but the same paper that called barnett and harris said that.

There has to be some truth and if not then everyone was wrong on Jordan Willis as well

Pre-Draft, I would have predicted that the nickel corner position was a mid round priority for an upgrade.
However, my read is that Gase and Burke are probably comfortable with Bobby McCain. Last week, there was a practice covered by the media when the Defense was clearly on top. It was reported that Jarvis Landry and Tannehill got a serious dose of trash talking from Bobby McCain, as they exited the session. It was also reported that Coach Gase strongly encouraged it. In the press conferences later that day Xavien Howard and Tony Lippert were asked about the trash talking and they said they didn't get into it but Bobby does.
McCain is now in his 3rd season and as the nickel corner, he has had to compete against Jarvis Landry, (arguably the best slot receiver in the NFL) every day since he got here. Don't be surprised if Gase and Burke recognize that competing against the best every day has also made Bobby a better nickel CB along the way, as well.
Other observation is that Bobby McCain appears to have put on some muscle in the offseason.

Okay that's exactly what I said about Jordan Willis and I'm pretty sure we had an exchange saying the same things lol

Why did 31 other teams pass on him for 2nd a hlf rds?

It's the same story for the most part.

How can you or anyone just dismiss the idea of it happening?

I understand you don't care but the same paper that called barnett and harris said that.

There has to be some truth and if not then everyone was wrong on Jordan Willis as well

I had plenty of weaknesses listed for Harris. My take was that he seemed a very solid fit for our wide set pass rush and DE was/is a pressing need.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/cordrea-tankersley?id=2557931

Comes to balance and squares up as a tackler. Looks to tackle low and springs into ball carriers with aggressive shoulder aimed at their thighs.

Scouts say that. Not me. I don't claim to be an expert

Most of it is right here: http://archive.draftbreakdown.com/players/cordrea-tankersley/

You don't need to be an expert to see just how lackadaisical he is in attempting to tackle the majority of the time.

Back
Top Bottom