Miami Dolphins offense headed toward an overhaul

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Oct 11, 2017.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

We would not have to do this if T-Bum and Grier weren't incompetent.

[​IMG]

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article178226946.html

gunn34 likes this.
  2. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Good. OL needs to be overhauled.

tay0365 and gunn34 like this.
  3. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

We have invested three first round draft picks on the first round. It is completely inexcusable to still be this team's most glaring issue. The good thing is we should be set at both tackle spots, which are more difficult/pricey to fill. It's puzzling that they haven't been able to find two ****ing guards by now. The Patriots are drafting guys in the mid-late rounds.

The day we spend a high draft pick on a guard I'm going to flip out.....

finomenal likes this.
  4. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

We need a center too.

sinPHIN likes this.
  5. AJ Duhe

AJ Duhe FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

This thought from the article pisses me off:

"If the Dolphins suddenly have to spend significant resources in either draft picks or free agency to address the guard position -- which has been a trouble spot for years -- then it would prove last offseason’s thinking that guard could be addressed on the cheap was a mistake"

WE KNEW THIS! The FO and Gase kept telling the media not to worry, they felt good about the position. Most fans knew that going into the season with one FA signing and a lower round draft pick wasn't going to be enough. Now they seem surprised that the unit is underperforming.

6. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

It's ridiculous that these guys don't the the offense. What a crock. We must have the dumbest players in the NFL. This is year 2 and we have WR's running their own patterns. That's laughable and a bigger issue than guard. We need players who can remember the damn playbook. PATHETIC.

Good_Dylan and TheJetsBlow like this.
  7. trojanma

trojanma FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Outside Asiaga not being ready for prime time there wasnt much they could do.
    Both Harris, McMillan represented much more important draft picks than taking a guard there.

The FA Guard market was nuclear.

Dakar001, gunn34 and fishfanmiami like this.
  8. jessejames123

jessejames123 Scout Team

Interior Oline that can move people and a legit TE please.

9. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Thank you for surrounding a quality NFL starting quarterback with garbage for five years and then in year six, when he's injured and you're forced to see how that same offense fares without him, you finally realize that maybe your OL is ****ing trash, you don't have a tight end who can catch a football, and your receivers are the most overrated position group in the NFL.

Good job, Dolphins.

Tailgun, miami365, Spiff and 11 others like this.
  10. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Start with a qb willing to take contact to make a play. I bet cutler does look good in practice settings wearing that red no contact jersey. Then tbe pads come on and the qbs fair game and he's not fooling me.

Cut pouncey tell bushrod good bye cut maxwell if we don't trade him at the deadline cut Julius Thomas trade kenny stills and his bad contract to a taker if you can find one trade Kenyan drake for a 5th rounder.

And finally yeah if Landry is gonna demand top money maybe you do try to squeeze a 2 out of a contender in trade for him.

Unless you believe these wr issues are by and large qb driven which I do. I have no doubts they are.

Stills production or his role still doesn't validate $8 mil per. Trade him

russianbear and Dakar001 like this.
  11. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

We need a new scheme too, not just guards.

gofins60 likes this.
  12. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

It's completely unacceptable. How in the **** can these idiots not know their assignments in year two? It's a ****ing joke. This franchise......

13. hoops

hoops exited stage left

The good news is playing behind this bum *** qb landrys value is sure to drop financially.

Might make it more manageable. Of course his representation is gonna point to the bum *** qb

Trade Kenyan drake while he still has some value. That dudes the biggest tell on the team and outside of specials worthless

Maybe you give stills one year with tannehill but this ghost production stuff and can't block to save his life isn't getting it done

14. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

So true. So many of us talked about the quality defensive lines in the division and needing to match-up with better guard play. The fact that fans saw this, but the front office went on the cheap is disappointing.

Admittedly, the defense had major holes so getting everything the team needed in one offseason wasn't going to happen.

15. BIGSHOT

BIGSHOT Rookie

oh boy , here we go again ...

coalesce and Ray R like this.
  16. SF Dolphin Fan

Miami still needs a "foundation" draft IMHO.

The team needs to put major resources into the offensive line and a little bit more into the defensive line. I'd love for the team to get another quality DE in the draft (Chubbs perhaps) or one of the many outstanding DT's in the college game. From there, go offensive line.

One last point. Depending on how Parker plays the rest of this season, a number one receiver could be in play. And, if the team is picking really high (possibly) I wouldn't rule out quarterback.

17. SF Dolphin Fan

Misreading the offensive line has set this team way back. The way the defense is playing, Miami could have had a real chance this year. Maybe even with Cutler.

The strength of the offense is Ajayi and the running game. Without that threat, and a lesser quarterback in Cutler, there really isn't much on the offense. The Dolphins should have augmented that strength by bringing in physical guards. It was so obvious to all of us fans. Just too easy for the opposing defenses to take Ajayi away.

Hard to say about the wide receivers. Personally, I'd make sure to keep Landry. He's still the heart and soul of the team. If Parker doesn't emerge (there have been good signs), I wouldn't take a number one receiver off the table come draft time. And, if the team is picking real high quarterback could still be a possibility.

18. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

This franchise has needed a 'foundation draft' for the last 20 years. Still waiting....

SF Dolphin Fan likes this.
  19. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

I go back to the Bills signing Charles Clay a couple of years ago, that really ****ed us.

We had a quality TE who fit in well with our offense and worked well with our QB, and Buffalo threw a huge contract at him so that they could keep him in as a run blocker 80% of the time. Now the Bills are in a position where they're probably going to cut Clay after this season (production + injury) and Miami has been shuffling around a bunch of lead footed slugs at the position for the last couple of years.

Then we spend years developing Dion Sims, and he finally starts showing some flashes of athleticism in 2016, and of course, Chicago throws more money at him and we won't match.

I'm not going to say we should go get Jimmy Graham, because we can't afford him and Seattle has ruined him, but damn, we need to do something.

20. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

Would have been sweet if we could have invested three first round picks in the second round...unfortunately can't be done.

One of the first round picks is broken goods. Should have never given him that new contract. The bigger issue is the two non-first rounders playing on the interior.

21. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

I wanna steal that term from you "foundation " draft.....love it.
    This stop gap approach can't work anymore....that's for sure.

TheJetsBlow and SF Dolphin Fan like this.
  22. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Everyone is making this harder than it is. The O-line is the big problem. Fix it and you can then run the darn football which would help the passing game. The best way to fix it? Simple, use free agency to get two free agents, one guard and one center. Why free agency? Because you know what you're getting instead of having to "hope" that whoever we draft will be the answer. You have your two OT's and you have Asiasta to go along with Steen and Davis. Bring in one guard and one center and you're set. Of course that what I was hoping they'd do the last two offseasons but they didn't. Of course having Tannehill back will help and btw, forget about Landry coming back guys. We will NOT have the money for him. Dumping Maxwell and Pouncey will only give us money for James and the draft plus in season moves for 2018. Who else can we cut to clear enough room for Landry? Everyone else seems to be on GTM kind of deals so Landry's as good as gone guys but hey, some people here just love t-baum

Ozzy rules!!

fininpsl likes this.
  23. flynryan15

flynryan15 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Absolutely amazing WRs running their own routes! To bad they don't pick routes past 5 yards 95% of the time. Oline picking their own blocking assignments? Trash undisciplined trash!

24. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

We can start by drafting the guy in my avi

25. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

What has been a surprise to me is Asiata who's played ZERO offensive snaps
    for us this season. Makes you wonder is he's an imbecile,out of shape, lacking in strength
    or all of the above. Looks like he'll never see the field and another year to wonder
    what we have with him

Ray R likes this.
  26. dolphinheel

dolphinheel A True Fan

I agree with all of this except resigning Juice and cutting Pouncey. I think based on what Gase himself has said we will resign both as long as Pouncey is healthy. Steen has performed pretty well and hopefully Asiata will be ready next year, so with Tanny back we should be a lot better on O.

27. TraderJoe

TraderJoe FinHeaven VIP

The section below taken from the article tells me clearly the players have lost faith in Gase and that is why they are doing things on their own. The idea that Gase can't get on top of this problem is making me lose faith in him as well.

"On any given play a wide receiver will run a pattern he apparently just dreamed up a second before the snap instead of the one in the playbook.

On any given play an offensive lineman will block someone he wasn’t supposed to and leave the defensive lineman he was supposed to block to run unblocked at Cutler.

Those things are happening at an alarming rate. They are being done by different people each time. And so an offensive “unit” has had no cohesion.

And it is everybody.

Core players such as Jarvis Landry, Julius Thomas, Laremy Tunsil, Jermon Bushrod, and Ja’Wuan James have blown assignments."

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...-salguero/article178226946.html#storylink=cpy

28. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

OK, just tell me, where will the money come from? If Pouncey's back that means we're paying him 9mill and keep on mind that we have pretty much no money under the cap so if he's back now we're over the cap. Add the fact you have James at RT to take care of and Landry wants 12 to 15 mill a year. Sorry bro, Gase can talk all he wants about bringing them both back but there's just no money for them. Even if you cut Tannehill it'd still not be enough, not to mention you'd create yet another big hole at QB. I'm not saying I don't want those guys back. I'm just saying we won't have the money to keep Pouncey, James and Landry plus have enough money for the draft. Someone has to go

Ozzy rules!!

andyahs likes this.
  29. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

The more I think about this the less it makes any sense. How was the offense competent last season than if nobody knows what they are doing? Maybe Ryan Tannehill is an absolute superstar who we have all underestimated? Maybe these guys really do suck and he elevates them? However the offense also capable with Moore and I don't care about the level of competition. If guys don't know what to do it will al;ways show up. The biggest difference is Cutler. I can't see how everything doesn't point to him or an overall lack of leadership which points to Gase. Again, it's easy to understand the struggles of the interior oline. The guards are jags and the Center has hardly played any football in over a year. The QB is off his couch so you could even see his struggles. Other than overrated, waste of time Julius Thomas I just can't understand the struggles from the WR's. The group who was second in the league in producing big plays don't know what routes to run? How can that be?

30. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

But wait -- isn't Gase an offensive savant who must know his players inside and out and therefore well before the season started
    we were ready for some high octane performance -- taking 30+ ppg with headroom to spare!

What am I missing?

31. Good_Dylan

Good_Dylan Well-Known Member

I agree...It just looks like a bunch of nobodies in Fins uniforms trotted out with no real plan,experience or knowledge of how to simply run a football play. The defense totally shuts down EVERY attempt at positive yardage almost like they have insider info except they dont...the plays must be so basic and so poorly executed a HS linebacker could see it developing before it happens.

Its mind boggling these guys can actually be Pros...I bet the scabs from the last major NFL contract walkout would beat these guys like a drum.

32. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

Remember back when people were upset that Drake AND Grant were drafted.... and the awesome trade of picks for a WR....

33. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Im sure you can tell how frustrated I am with this whole thing. It would be one thing if the d was a dumpster fire again but the one year it's not I don't even have my qb and the one we do have might as well be playing flag.

Drake gives us what 1 snap a game either drops a dump or a screen or bee lines off tackle any carry he gets. Hell he doesn't even get any draw run. Somehow he escapes the ire around here.

tbe balls bigger than grant lined up as a wr. Looks like one of those Charlie Brown characters out there.

At least he wasn't a day 2 pick.

I said before I'm not watching 16 games of matt Moore and I will be damned after 4 games of cutty if I'm gonna watch 16 games of that fairy either.

I will fast forward thru the offense.

Wake me in 2018.

Albert Romano likes this.
  34. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

Wait. Weren't the OL issues all Tannehill's fault? Pocket awareness. Not getting into better plays. Locking on to a receiver too long. Coming off to the check down too soon. Holding onto the ball. Getting rid of it too quickly. etc etc etc

35. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Didn’t you guys know? It takes 3 president terms to build an average O-line.

36. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

our O-line is not average....our O-line is way below average

Ozzy rules!!

37. hoops

hoops exited stage left

What? No count down of games left in the jay cutler error?

38. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

No need. We know it’s 12 games. Since Gase won’t remove him otherwise.

39. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

The O-line on their best day, which is about 2 times a year is average. This line with 3 1st rd picks will never be anything better than that. Such a shame.

40. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

When you ignore the guard position, your o-line is going to suck. Bringing in garbage like Davis, Steen and Bushrod is not going to work. We need TALENT