Miami Players Who Could Elevate their Games | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Players Who Could Elevate their Games

Good point. He also went from being sneaky athletic to not very athletic with the added muscle/weight.

When he moves in the pocket, Tua is looking for the big play which is fine l, but maybe if McDaniel helps him see those "free yards" he can adjust?

Tua mentioned in an article that he had four areas to work on. Didn't specifically mention what those were, but maybe running a little more often is one of them?
well you know where I’m at with Tua right? very disappointed in how he allowed himself to get out of shape as the season progressed and we saw what that looked like on the field when he tried to run, I have no illusions of grandeur thinking he can be some dual threat Qb but I know he was faster and quicker not too long ago, and when you’re 25 years old there is no excuses not be at your apex condition.

He was laboring at the end because of the extra weight.

It’s unacceptable imo so it better be one of the four things he mentioned.jmo

We all have to realize there are many throws off the back foot playing Qb in the NFL

This is not something Tua can do regularly with any consistency, he must have built in options besides being perfectly set up to throw..

At some point in winning championships individual athletic movements by the Qb become paramount to making big plays, not necessarily running around but quick sudden movements in the pocket to reset, so when you are not in peak physical condition those movement are much more difficult and your are prohibiting yourself from reaching your potential and helping the team win the game.

well you know where I’m at with Tua right? very disappointed in how he allowed himself to get out of shape as the season progressed and we saw what that looked like on the field when he tried to run, I have no illusions of grandeur thinking he can be some dual threat Qb but I know he was faster and quicker not too long ago, and when you’re 25 years old there is no excuses not be at your apex condition.

He was laboring at the end because of the extra weight.

It’s unacceptable imo so it better be one of the four things he mentioned.jmo

We all have to realize there are many throws off the back foot playing Qb in the NFL

This is not something Tua can do regularly with any consistency, he must have built in options besides being perfectly set up to throw..

At some point in winning championships individual athletic movements by the Qb become paramount to making big plays, not necessarily running around but quick sudden movements in the pocket to reset, so when you are not in peak physical condition those movement are much more difficult and your are prohibiting yourself from reaching your potential and helping the team win the game.
Right. He used to make those subtle movements better to avoid the rush as well.

We all know why he added the weight. I wonder if that's just who he will be now? I hope not because it takes that running option away somewhat.

If we went back and looked at games, there were yards to be had. I've heard these referred to as free yards because they are there for the taking.

I said a while back I don't know if Mcd has told TT not to run or TT himself doesn't want to. I can accept that if it's 'maybe I can make it.' But when TT needs 5-6 yds for a 1D and can likely get 10-12, it's very frustrating

I said a while back I don't know if Mcd has told TT not to run or TT himself doesn't want to. I can accept that if it's 'maybe I can make it.' But when TT needs 5-6 yds for a 1D and can likely get 10-12, it's very frustrating
I think his mindset was a little different this year. Clearly, the game plan was to get rid of the ball quickly.

Tua's always been tough, but I also wonder how much the concussions affected him and if he didn't want to get hit? He definitely didn't look athletic when he ran the ball either.

It will be interesting to see if Tua comes to training camp slimmed down a little bit.

Last edited:
Right. He used to make those subtle movements better to avoid the rush as well.

We all know why he added the weight. I wonder if that's just who he will be now? I hope not because it takes that running option away somewhat.
imo we better hope that isn’t what he’s gonna be.

#1 is Tua. Not for more playing time, but for elevating his game re: finding solutions to every situation, escaping the pocket, off script plays, etc.

Pretty confident he will be much improved.

Brother, look, do I hope I'm wrong? Certainly. I want a Mahomes type savage in Tua. What fan wouldn't?

But have you ever seen Tua move, at whatever weight? The dude trips over himself & stumbles without even being breathed on. Escaping the pocket, movement- not his game. He is far from graceful in that area.

And there's nothing wrong with that. How many times did Dan escape the pocket? He didn't have to. He was masterful within the pocket.

Thats what we should wish/pray for from Tua: mastery within the pocket. But first, let's go out and get him a pocket that can hold for more than 3 seconds.

Wata yah say, Miami Dolphins? A little OL love to better make use of your pro bowl, league leading passer?

¿Si o No?

Off topic, but would you take McCarthy or Nix if they fell to 21?

If we didn’t have Tua yes I would take McCarthy at 21

What if Harbaugh traded Herbert for the # 1 pick and selected McCarthy at #1 lol could you imagine

Last edited:
But have you ever seen Tua move, at whatever weight? The dude trips over himself & stumbles without even being breathed on. Escaping the pocket, movement- not his game. He is far from graceful in that area.
i have seen him look a lot better at it than season 2023.

Last edited:
for some reason I keep coming back to holland..
Holland is going to be a great one for us. The injury bug got him last year, along with most of the team, and slowed him down. He has 2 bum ankles so hopefully they heal prior to the start of next season. I met Holland at the Barber Shop and he was big and vey tough looking. He's got muscles where most of us don't even have places!! Strong boy!!

Good thread. All a bunch of guys that hopefully can improve their game.. younger guys finally developing, especially mid round picks that we did once upon a time have. Need to get more of them going to rebuild the roster. I think there's a decent chance Cam Smith can become viable. That'll help the cb situation, but reinforcements are needed at db in general. I really hope we can resign Wilkins, AVG, and Hunt the most. Would rather try to replace Connor Williams with that young rookie, although banking on a rookie (AND him falling to us AND being the pick) is risky, to go thru FA without adding a vet at all..

Hopefully Tua gets better too, cut down on the ints, get better scrambling at times. Dumping it down to other options
Exactly. Dumping it down it what is missing in our offense. We have great athletes at RB and these passes are easy completes, keep the chains moving and does give the defense more to worry about. We see KC and Buffalo do the screens, the dump offs and the ultimate safety blanket for a QB, short throws to the TE. When we only need a yard or 2 for a first down I would hope our Coach thinks run first.

Back
Top Bottom