Michigan/Ohio State Rematch, Yay or Nay? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Michigan/Ohio State Rematch, Yay or Nay?

Agent51

Practice Squad
Reaction score
First lemme congratulate any Ohio State fans here. I'm not an Ohio State fan, in fact I really do not like them (especially because you beat my Longhorns, :fire: :lol:), but that was a HUGE win.

Now, on to the question. I guess it's a two-parter. First, do you think there WILL be a rematch, and second, do you WANT there to be a rematch?

1: I believe there will be a rematch. Even if the Gators win out I don't think they make it (sorry Gator fans) just due to the fact that they had some less than impressive wins against lesser opponents (Vandy comes to mind off the top of my head), plus, their win against Western Carolina didn't help their poll spots any, and even though their only loss came to Auburn, Michigan's loss to Ohio State is more impressive. I don't buy into the USC hype, and I think they lose at ND. MAYBE if this were still the Lienert/Bush/White era then yes, I would put USC in there (probably by default because they wouldn't have even lost), but the team doesn't look spectacular with John David Booty to me. Washington State, Washington, and Arizona were all close games, and they lost to Oregon State, which is no Ohio State or Auburn, so they shouldn't even be considered IMO and it's ridiculous that everyone is saying it's USC's spot to lose. Notre Dame WOULD have a serious chance should they beat USC, except for the fact that Michigan wrecked them early on, so how would they jump Michigan if both are one-loss teams and ND lost to Michigan, which lost to Ohio State? Out of those four Florida SHOULD be the only one who has a chance to make it in, but I don't think they should jump Michigan.

2: I DEFINATELY would love to see a rematch. This was in the top 3 college games I have EVER seen, right up there with USC/ND from last year and, of course, my Longhorns beating USC in the Rose Bowl. A rematch would be a great game just as far as football goes, but when you add in all of the other stuff like the 104 year rivalry and all that, and put it in the national title game setting, it has the potential to be the best game ever (well, second best, nothing can top the Longhorns Rose Bowl win for me personally, lol). Also, I just don't CARE about any of the other potential opponents. I mean I know there are Florida, USC, and Notre Dame fans here, so of course they will want one of them in, and it would mean a lot to them, but as nuetral fans, a rematch of last nights game is by FAR the most appealing matchup.

So what does everyone else think?

If USC wins out, with 3 big wins over ND, Arkansas and Cal . . then I mean that is tuff to go against. But right now Michigan has the best argument for number 2 IMO . . Florida will need to be impressive these next 2 weeks to have a shot. Its out of those 3 probably . . . I think ND and Arkansas really have no shot now, and Florida is on the bubble for not having a shot.

Kdawg954 said:
If USC wins out, with 3 big wins over ND, Arkansas and Cal . . then I mean that is tuff to go against. But right now Michigan has the best argument for number 2 IMO . . Florida will need to be impressive these next 2 weeks to have a shot. Its out of those 3 probably . . . I think ND and Arkansas really have no shot now, and Florida is on the bubble for not having a shot.

USC would have a shot yes, but when it comes down to it (USC or Michigan), Michigan should definately get the nod. USC lost to Oregon State, which is currently unranked (as far as top 25 goes) whereas Michigan just lost to Ohio State, which is ranked #1, by only 3 points. Plus, I think if Michigan and USC played, USC wouldn't have a chance. Again, I apologize to Florida fans, but Ohio State and Michigan are really in a league of their own this season, I think either one of them would take care or USC, Florida, ND, or Arkansas fairly easily. If it weren't for that STUPID personal foul late in the game Michigan could have won it and they'd be in the title game and you KNOW Ohio State would be ranked two and get the rematch, so it should be that way right now, with Michigan getting the rematch.

I don't believe USC belongs there at all. As much as I don't wanna see a rematch because I think its completely pointless I would rather see that than an undeserving team in there.

Still a few BIG games to be played that will hopefully clear things up.

Kdawg954 said:

Call me a homer, but there is no way USC deserves to be there more than Florida looking at their schedules. Granted Michigan is the wildcard and a rematch is possible. I just don't think USC deserves it at all.

USC hasnt beat anyone worth mentioning, they let an overatted Cal team hang with them at home in the 4th quarter, not to mention losing to Oregon St.

Florida lost to Auburn (who played the game of their lives) and lost on the road. Florida gets the nod in my book, but obviously thats why im not a voter :D

USC beat Arkansas -- however they were without McFadden, and I'd like to see them try and blow them out again. I don't see how USC took such a jump just a week after losing to Oregon St. Didn't they jump from like 7th to 3rd?

Here's how I see it:

UM/OSU - Would be a great rematch. We know that both teams are very very good and IMO yes, they are the two best teams in the nation. However, we just saw it, and it was so hyped up now and any rematch would make the Nat'l championship kinda anti-climactic.

However, if my other option is OSU vs USC, I'll pass. I'm tired of watching USC in the Nat'l championship. Maybe it was okay when it was Leinart, Bush, White, etc etc etc...but now, a team that gets beat down by Oregon State?

I would like to see Florida there, and Arkansas have a great chance if they can beat Florida in the SEC Championship and ND beats USC.

The only way I see ND making it is if they beat USC, FSU beats UF, and then UF beats Arkansas in the SEC Championship.

I think I'll actually enjoy the other Bowls better than the Nat'l cham. game this year.

Motion said:
I don't believe USC belongs there at all. As much as I don't wanna see a rematch because I think its completely pointless I would rather see that than an undeserving team in there.

Still a few BIG games to be played that will hopefully clear things up.

All "bias" aside, lol, do you honestly think Florida is better than Michigan? I'm not being sarcastic here at all, I'm being serious. In your opinion do you think Florida is a better team than Michigan? I think Florida played one hell of a schedule (the SEC is SO tough) but I think if Florida and Michigan played right now, Michigan would win, and therefore I believe Michigan should get that rematch. I don't think it's pointless at all, I think that was a great game last night, marred by a stupid personal foul and what looked to be an over-confident Michigan D (in the first half anyway, til they started finding ways to stop them in the second half), so I'd liek to see what the outcome would be a second time around, when both teams know how to prepare for the other and (hopefully) it doesn't come down to a dumb penalty. I'd love to see a flashy but physical game like last night's for the title, they are way more interesting than blowouts or even defensive struggles. The USC/ND game, last year's Texas/USC Rose Bowl, last night's game, those are the 3 best football games I have ever seen, PERIOD, out of college, pro, high school, Pop-Warner, whatever, those three were amazing games, because they were physical but they were also high scoring so they had the "wow" factor which makes watching fun. You weren't sitting there watching one team KILL the other one or watching them go 3-and-out all day til a late FG in the 4th quarter wins it, those are boring to me.

At this point, I would say the #2 and #3 teams are about interchangable between Florida and Michigan.
I say Florida should get the nod, should it beat Arkansas and become SEC Champions. I don't think Ohio State would put up 500 yds against Florida's Defense.

HysterikiLL said:
USC beat Arkansas -- however they were without McFadden, and I'd like to see them try and blow them out again. I don't see how USC took such a jump just a week after losing to Oregon St. Didn't they jump from like 7th to 3rd?

Here's how I see it:

UM/OSU - Would be a great rematch. We know that both teams are very very good and IMO yes, they are the two best teams in the nation. However, we just saw it, and it was so hyped up now and any rematch would make the Nat'l championship kinda anti-climactic.

However, if my other option is OSU vs USC, I'll pass. I'm tired of watching USC in the Nat'l championship. Maybe it was okay when it was Leinart, Bush, White, etc etc etc...but now, a team that gets beat down by Oregon State?

I would like to see Florida there, and Arkansas have a great chance if they can beat Florida in the SEC Championship and ND beats USC.

The only way I see ND making it is if they beat USC, FSU beats UF, and then UF beats Arkansas in the SEC Championship.

I think I'll actually enjoy the other Bowls better than the Nat'l cham. game this year.

I don't think the game would lose it's hype just because we just saw it. To me it would be like a huge rematch in boxing (I'm not a boxing fan, just using the analogy), like Ali/Frasier II or something like that. It's not like they would be playing it again in a week or two, it would be what, like 7 weeks from now? That's plenty of time for last nights game to kind of subside and for the realization that these bitter, century-old rivalry will now have higher-stakes, a nation title.

As far as ND making it, if they do, the polls are SERIOUSLY flawed, because ND LOST to Michigan, so I don't see how they could be rated as a higher team than Michigan, who lost to undefeated, #1 ranked Ohio State, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Agent51 said:
All "bias" aside, lol, do you honestly think Florida is better than Michigan? I'm not being sarcastic here at all, I'm being serious. In your opinion do you think Florida is a better team than Michigan? I think Florida played one hell of a schedule (the SEC is SO tough) but I think if Florida and Michigan played right now, Michigan would win, and therefore I believe Michigan should get that rematch. I don't think it's pointless at all, I think that was a great game last night, marred by a stupid personal foul and what looked to be an over-confident Michigan D (in the first half anyway, til they started finding ways to stop them in the second half), so I'd liek to see what the outcome would be a second time around, when both teams know how to prepare for the other and (hopefully) it doesn't come down to a dumb penalty. I'd love to see a flashy but physical game like last night's for the title, they are way more interesting than blowouts or even defensive struggles. The USC/ND game, last year's Texas/USC Rose Bowl, last night's game, those are the 3 best football games I have ever seen, PERIOD, out of college, pro, high school, Pop-Warner, whatever, those three were amazing games, because they were physical but they were also high scoring so they had the "wow" factor which makes watching fun. You weren't sitting there watching one team KILL the other one or watching them go 3-and-out all day til a late FG in the 4th quarter wins it, those are boring to me.

No where in either of my posts did I say Florida deserves it more than Michigan. I didn't compare the two at all. What I am saying is that providing USC and Florida both win out, I think Florida deserves it more than USC based on the schedules and I absolutely 100% think Florida is a better team than USC. As far as Michigan goes, and I know I'll get flamed for this, but they had their chance. As great a game as it was I don't think there should be a rematch. Just my opinion.

DonShula84 said:
If UF or USC win out they should jump UM imo.
See, I don't know if either team should jump UM, but I do know the current system makes me sick. There is just no way to objectively compare UF with either team(the USC/Arkansas game is ancient history as Arkansas is a completely different team), and there is barely such a common thread with USC and Michigan other than ND. Using one similar game to compare two teams is very short sighted.

This year, I really see 4 teams who deserve a playoff

UM, OSU, USC and UF. Lets get a +1 going right now, c'mon BCS!

The OSU players dont want there to be a rematch

"If you're coming off a loss and don't win your conference, I don't think you deserve to play for the national championship," Barton declared.

I'm not for a second chance," said cornerback Antonio Smith. "I think it takes away from the rivalry here. But it's not up to me to decide."

Barton continued to show his class

"The game I'm looking at is probably Notre Dame-USC," Barton said. "I'm thinking the winner of that is going to be our opponent."

"I'll be rooting against Notre Dame," Barton said. "I'm not a big fan of their coach and the program."

I don't know," he said, before going sarcastically diplomatic. "They're a great program, they're Notre Dame -- wheeewww."

Pause. "They couldn't handle us."

On USC

"I always wanted to play them," Richardson said. "I've heard too much about them."

Back
Top Bottom