Mid-Season: Who You "Got" at Number Seven? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mid-Season: Who You "Got" at Number Seven?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Seven might be a no-man's spot in this draft. Not that there won't be excellent talent available there, but Miami could be in a position to miss out on Parsons and even a potential trade down scenario with a quarterback needy team. We'll see of course, but top five figures to be something like this (in no order): Lawrence, Fields, Sewell, Parsons, Lance. Chase and Surtain II might be in the mix. I've made no bones about Parsons being my top player as I just see him as an excellent fit in a Flores defense. Linebackers rarely go top 5, but I think Parsons will. If he's gone, and the top 5 goes something like above, whose your pick at #7?

I would probably go Chase there. I know that's high for a wide receiver and the talent at that position goes deep in this draft. But Miami's next pick could end up being in the low 20's, which means Smith, Waddle, Bateman and Moore could all be off the board.

Miami needs a linebacker, but #7 is way too high for Bolton or Moses. Moses hasn't looked that great this season, but he's probably still a first rounder. I've seen Bolton mocked in the early second, but I think he goes sooner than that. Really like Bolton and would highly consider him with that 1b selection, depending on who else is available.

The Dolphins need a DT, preferably someone who can stuff the run. Barmore, from Alabama, may end up somewhere in the top 15 and could be the first DT off the board. Wilson has had a rough year, but he's probably still a first rounder, maybe available for Miami's 1b. Tufele, of USC, is nice as a late first, early second. I believe he opted out. Georgia's Davis and LSU's Shelvin are run stuffers. Twyman is one of the more intriguing DT's, as someone who plays in the opponents backfield and can pressure the qb.

Pass rushers? This is a buyer beware group, but there are players emerging. Pitts Jones is probably my favorite and maybe pushing into the top 15. Paye of Michigan, is another to watch. Rosseau is an opt out, who I think will fall quite a bit. He's very talented, but with just one year under his belt, that might be hard for a team to pull the trigger on early. Roche is interesting. I could see him in that Van Noy role for the Dolphins.

Offensive line? After spending so many high picks there in 2020, can the Dolphins afford to look middle rounds instead?

Last edited:
I am all in on Devonta Smith. My second choice would be Parsons, Chase third.

Our second first rounder I’d look bpa. Somebody probably falls further than you thought.

First second rounder I really want a RB or free safety.

Second second rounder I think we can find an inside linebacker.

Bottom line is we really need some playmakers on offense. Multiple WRs and multiple RBs if I’m doing the picking. I’m taking Kenneth Gainwell RB from Memphis if he is there in the third. I’m taking Malik Herring DE if he is there in the fourth. Just don’t reach for guys. I think we reached for Igbinoghene last year.

7 would be too early for me to take a WR and Parsons will probably be off the board.

I would be thinking trade down at that spot right now but who knows what the board will look like in April?
If there's still a quarterback available, that could be an ideal trade down spot for Miami.

Hopefully, Houston won't win too many more.

I am all in on Devonta Smith. My second choice would be Parsons, Chase third.

Our second first rounder I’d look bpa. Somebody probably falls further than you thought.

First second rounder I really want a RB or free safety.

Second second rounder I think we can find an inside linebacker.

Bottom line is we really need some playmakers on offense. Multiple WRs and multiple RBs if I’m doing the picking. I’m taking Kenneth Gainwell RB from Memphis if he is there in the third. I’m taking Malik Herring DE if he is there in the fourth. Just don’t reach for guys. I think we reached for Igbinoghene last year.
How high do you think Smith goes? In other words, how far can Miami move down and still get Smith.

There doesn't seem to be a strong consensus on him among these mock drafts.

With all these QBs rising, I think it almost HAS to push the Wide Receivers down even further.

How low do I think they'll fall? just look at last year's draft. It had a similar quality of players.

Ruggs @ 12
Jeudy @ 15
Lamb @ 17

etc

How high do you think Smith goes? In other words, how far can Miami move down and still get Smith.

There doesn't seem to be a strong consensus on him among these mock drafts.

I don't look at mock drafts so they have no relevance on the value I place on players - all I can tell you is Ted Ginn went 9th overall with his foot in a walking boot.

Smitty is a better player than Ted Ginn.

I think it'll be top 5 when its all said and done. As long as we walk away with Chase, Sewell, Parsons, or Rousseau then we'll strike gold. Ideally I'd love to see Parsons and Devonte Smith in the 1st. Najee Harris and best edge player on the board in the 2nd. In the 3rd go after best Interior Olineman

I don't look at mock drafts so they have no relevance on the value I place on players - all I can tell you is Ted Ginn went 9th overall with his foot in a walking boot.

Smitty is a better player than Ted Ginn.
Oh, for sure. I also don't think Ginn should have gone that high, but he did carve out a long NFL career. Revis would have been nice. Sigh.

With all these QBs rising, I think it almost HAS to push the Wide Receivers down even further.

How low do I think they'll fall? just look at last year's draft. It had a similar quality of players.

Ruggs @ 12
Jeudy @ 15
Lamb @ 17

etc
If I had to guess, I'd say Smith and Waddle are top 15. Chase maybe top 10. But I haven't looked at what other teams needs are at this point. Bateman maybe top 20?

Oh, for sure. I also don't think Ginn should have gone that high, but he did carve out a long NFL career. Revis would have been nice. Sigh.

Well that's what I'm saying. It doesn't matter how high anybody thinks they should go. Only matters how high they do go and how good of a football player they really are. Which is why mock drafts don't interest me.

Anybody that can show me 10 better players in college football than Smitty or Jaylen Waddle can get $50 or free VIP for themselves and a buddy and I'll delete my account here today. Both those kids are top 10 talents in this draft no matter where they're drafted.

I can't see Houston doing better than 6-10 so that pick will be outside the Top 5 but still very high.

7 or 8 seems about right.

If that is the case i think they will miss out on Sewell or Parsons for sure and best play would probably be a trade down.

I am having trouble being happy with the Fins using the #7 pick as I don't think the value will be there.The best players on the board will likely be at positions that don't fit the Fins needs and the I don't want them to reach for a WR that high.

Bets case is a trade down 5 spots or so and then you grab the WR everyone seems to want.

I can't see Houston doing better than 6-10 so that pick will be outside the Top 5 but still very high.

7 or 8 seems about right.

If that is the case i think they will miss out on Sewell or Parsons for sure and best play would probably be a trade down.

I am having trouble being happy with the Fins using the #7 pick as I don't think the value will be there.The best players on the board will likely be at positions that don't fit the Fins needs and the I don't want them to reach for a WR that high.

Bets case is a trade down 5 spots or so and then you grab the WR everyone seems to want.
I think you may be right. After Sewell, the next best offensive lineman is probably Davis. I really like Davis, but I don't think he's a top 10 pick since he's a guard only. After Parsons, the next best linebacker is probably Bolton, who might go in the 20's. Chase, Smith and Waddle are all high-end receivers. I don't necessarily want a receiver in the top 10, but maybe that's where the value falls this year. It's definitely a need for the Dolphins.

Surtain II would be nice to have, but with X. Howard and Byron Jones, where does he fit? Unless Miami trades Howard, or initially plays Surtain II at safety. The Dolphins need a defensive tackle and a pass rusher (DE maybe), but is there any worthy of a top 10 pick? I saw a CBS mock draft that had Paye going #5 overall. That seems very high to me. Of course, teams will gamble on quarterback and pass rushers so maybe we'll see those types of gambles early.

If a quarterback is there, a trade down might be the best option. But if Miami doesn't have a trade partner, maybe a wide receiver is the way to go???

Back
Top Bottom