Mid-Season: Who You "Got" at Number Seven? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mid-Season: Who You "Got" at Number Seven?

I can't see Houston doing better than 6-10 so that pick will be outside the Top 5 but still very high.

7 or 8 seems about right.

If that is the case i think they will miss out on Sewell or Parsons for sure and best play would probably be a trade down.

I am having trouble being happy with the Fins using the #7 pick as I don't think the value will be there.The best players on the board will likely be at positions that don't fit the Fins needs and the I don't want them to reach for a WR that high.

Bets case is a trade down 5 spots or so and then you grab the WR everyone seems to want.
I think it is very possible that Parsons is there. Not a lock, but certainly a possibility.

I'm adding it up like this... last year, the 2nd and 3rd QBs slid because the teams at 2-4 didn't need QBs, and we had a stranglehold on trading up because we were in a position where we could outbid anyone who was willing to make a deal. The other teams were wary because we could bid them up and then drop it on them... so everyone backed off. It was liar's poker... and we won.

This year, the teams at 2-5 all look like they need QBs and even though we control the board again, we've got our guy...and are more apt to trade down than up. The Jets and Jags will both take QBs, the Giants and Noskins might. Hell, the Cowgurls might. The Patriots certainly need to take one... I foresee a serious rush on the position and that will drop EVERYTHING else down.

Now... in general, we all agree that the premium positions in the NFL are passer, pass rusher, push defender, and pass blocker... and those positions will generally go next, even in years where the touts believe the players to be weaker than most years. Sewell, Surtain, Rousseau, Paye... Leatherwood, Cosmi, Basham, even Barmore might jump ahead of Parsons. Hell... Ja'Marr Chase might.

So will Parsons slide a bit... especially after opting out?

I'm willing to call the bet and see what happens... just like we did with Tua.

Last edited:
Now... that said, one thing concerns me.

A friend of mine knows Parsons. He can speak up here if he wants to. He tells me that Parsons might not be the guy to become a team captain. Tells me that he has an odd personality, and might not be an actual leader.

That part concerns me a little, I'd like our MLB to be the captain and leader of the defense... and Parsons might not be that guy.

Well it's like I said months ago - as long as Miami maintains a pick in the top 10 they will have a shot at Micah Parsons. Coming off the board about where Luke Kuechly did is about right.

I probably wouldn't expect him to last as long as Patrick Willis or especially Tremaine Edmunds did.

With the likelihood of Lawrence, Fields, Sewell and potentially Lance all going top 4, the question becomes who are the next 3-5 best players in the 2021 draft. The process of elimination will potentially determine who we can guess Miami selects.

So let's all put our minds together and figure it out as Dolphins fans?

We all know Parsons is amongst those next group of players, but where?

Top 10 you probably get 4 QBs, Sewell, Parsons, Russo(sp), Chase, Surtain, Farley, maybe Waddle or Smith

Well that's what I'm saying. It doesn't matter how high anybody thinks they should go. Only matters how high they do go and how good of a football player they really are. Which is why mock drafts don't interest me.

Anybody that can show me 10 better players in college football than Smitty or Jaylen Waddle can get $50 or free VIP for themselves and a buddy and I'll delete my account here today. Both those kids are top 10 talents in this draft no matter where they're drafted.
Either would be a perfect addition for Miami as well. Parker is really the only keeper at wide receiver.

Top 10 you probably get 4 QBs, Sewell, Parsons, Russo(sp), Chase, Surtain, Farley, maybe Waddle or Smith
I've recently seen Paye projected top 5. Since he's a pass rusher that could be possible. He's someone that will certainly test well.

I think it is very possible that Parsons is there. Not a lock, but certainly a possibility.

I'm adding it up like this... last year, the 2nd and 3rd QBs slid because the teams at 2-4 didn't need QBs, and we had a stranglehold on trading up because we were in a position where we could outbid anyone who was willing to make a deal. The other teams were wary because we could bid them up and then drop it on them... so everyone backed off. It was liar's poker... and we won.

This year, the teams at 2-5 all look like they need QBs and even though we control the board again, we've got our guy...and are more apt to trade down than up. The Jets and Jags will both take QBs, the Giants and Noskins might. Hell, the Cowgurls might. The Patriots certainly need to take one... I foresee a serious rush on the position and that will drop EVERYTHING else down.

Now... in general, we all agree that the premium positions in the NFL are passer, pass rusher, push defender, and pass blocker... and those positions will generally go next, even in years where the touts believe the players to be weaker than most years. Sewell, Surtain, Rousseau, Paye... Leatherwood, Cosmi, Basham, even Barmore might jump ahead of Parsons. Hell... Ja'Marr Chase might.

So will Parsons slide a bit... especially after opting out?

I'm willing to call the bet and see what happens... just like we did with Tua.
Opting out and potentially lack of leadership, as another poster suggested, could drop Parsons.

Opting out and potentially lack of leadership, as another poster suggested, could drop Parsons.
It could... but I am incredibly sensitive to the covid topic. Like the Gainwell link I posted, that poor guy had four members of his family die... and yet, some of these people want to call him a quitter.

That's just horrible.

I think each player's situation has to be examined. Did they take advantage of a situation... or did their family die? That's quite a spread.

It could... but I am incredibly sensitive to the covid topic. Like the Gainwell link I posted, that poor guy had four members of his family die... and yet, some of these people want to call him a quitter.

That's just horrible.

I think each player's situation has to be examined. Did they take advantage of a situation... or did their family die? That's quite a spread.
100 percent agree. I think most teams will look at the reasons for opting out as well.

Seven might be a no-man's spot in this draft. Not that there won't be excellent talent available there, but Miami could be in a position to miss out on Parsons and even a potential trade down scenario with a quarterback needy team. We'll see of course, but top five figures to be something like this (in no order): Lawrence, Fields, Sewell, Parsons, Lance. Chase and Surtain II might be in the mix. I've made no bones about Parsons being my top player as I just see him as an excellent fit in a Flores defense. Linebackers rarely go top 5, but I think Parsons will. If he's gone, and the top 5 goes something like above, whose your pick at #7?

I would probably go Chase there. I know that's high for a wide receiver and the talent at that position goes deep in this draft. But Miami's next pick could end up being in the low 20's, which means Smith, Waddle, Bateman and Moore could all be off the board.

Miami needs a linebacker, but #7 is way too high for Bolton or Moses. Moses hasn't looked that great this season, but he's probably still a first rounder. I've seen Bolton mocked in the early second, but I think he goes sooner than that. Really like Bolton and would highly consider him with that 1b selection, depending on who else is available.

The Dolphins need a DT, preferably someone who can stuff the run. Barmore, from Alabama, may end up somewhere in the top 15 and could be the first DT off the board. Wilson has had a rough year, but he's probably still a first rounder, maybe available for Miami's 1b. Tufele, of USC, is nice as a late first, early second. I believe he opted out. Georgia's Davis and LSU's Shelvin are run stuffers. Twyman is one of the more intriguing DT's, as someone who plays in the opponents backfield and can pressure the qb.

Pass rushers? This is a buyer beware group, but there are players emerging. Pitts Jones is probably my favorite and maybe pushing into the top 15. Paye of Michigan, is another to watch. Rosseau is an opt out, who I think will fall quite a bit. He's very talented, but with just one year under his belt, that might be hard for a team to pull the trigger on early. Roche is interesting. I could see him in that Van Noy role for the Dolphins.

Offensive line? After spending so many high picks there in 2020, can the Dolphins afford to look middle rounds instead?

If the draft was tomorrow there would be a good chance Parsons would be there at 7 looking at the teams above us needs.

1. Jets - Lawrence
2. Jags - Fields
3. Cowboys - Farley
4. Giants - Sewell
5. Washington - Lance
6. Chargers - Leatherwood

The Cowboys could go for Parsons but their secondary is abysmal and surely will be top priority. The Chargers are desperate for Oline help.

That would give us 3 great options.
A) Parsons
B) Chase
C) Trade down with someone wanting Zach Wilson

7 would be too early for me to take a WR and Parsons will probably be off the board.

I would be thinking trade down at that spot right now but who knows what the board will look like in April?

ya it’s brutal to think about. We need that pick to exceptional to help propel us.

This pick, right now, is the fourth most valuable asset we have behind Tua, Flores and the stadium they play in.

I also don’t want to go WR that high if the grade on Chase is high enough I’d be ok with it, if Parsons is gone and Rousseau doesn’t seem worth the selection. I support their decisions to opt out but would’ve loved to seen more of GR.

If things broke right for us I’d really love to get a combination of Penei Sewell and Creed Humphrey......and wish the rest of the league good luck stopping Tua.

QBs care more about their protection than their skill players so it wouldn’t shock me if we try and create a dominant OL.

Trade down scenarios might be in play for us at both 1st round spots, depending on where some of these QBs fall not named Trevor or Justin.

I’d be ok with extending our draft assets into the future.

Back
Top Bottom