Mike Evans is a big problem. Meet the 5-foot-10 guy who might cut him down to size. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Evans is a big problem. Meet the 5-foot-10 guy who might cut him down to size.

Believe it or not, I am not so worried about Evans. Yes he will get his catches on quick passes and slants mixed in with the case of drops he tends to have but DeSean Jackson is what scares me. Not a Winston fan but if he lobs the ball up there enough times, it's bound to be caught on a burning DeSean sprinting to the end zone, hell not even sure how their TE is doing since he was drafted, I am sure he will feast on our LBs a good bit.

As for what would NE do, I think we know how BB handles the opposing teams best player, question is, can our defense/secondary handle that method?

Kinda feels like evans and winston have been building up to this year...they should be a dangerous tandem this year, or even more i should say. At least with Parker we might have a similar threat this year.

In recent years we've held our own against pure #1 types..surely forgetting some glaring omission but we spent more time getting underneathed to death last year.

Winston, like Cutler, is inaccurate but will still lean on the strength of his arm and the physicality of receivers and sling it downfield hoping the receiver makes a play. That's were both Evans and Jackson present problems and Bucs will be able to easily create mismatches b/c we play our CBs on a strict left and right basis. Howard plays RCB and Maxwell/Verner will be at LCB.

I think our biggest problem could be the lack of a pass rush. Corners can't cover forever. I'm hoping our pass rush will get there but we'll see

Ozzy rules!!

Living in central Florida, get my fair share of bucs games. Not impressed. Won't be long before bucs are looking again for that franchise qb. Have they ever had one? Doug Williams?
Looks like they'll be in the boat that we are currently in :(

That is a yokel headline that belongs in the section of my mind titled, "Norman Rockwell beating up a child."...Which is exactly what will happen if you put Verner on him.

Any further off-topic Tannehill discussion will result in points and potential ban.

Howard should be on Evans most of the time
Typically, our corners don't travel. They're assigned a side and they stay on that side, so Tampa Bay will pick the matchups, not us. It's hard to get CB's who can be equally effective on either side, but it really opens us up to being exploited if they cannot.

Every one of the Tampa weapons are bad matchups for us. We don't have a CB that can match up well against their 6'5 guys, and they have 3 of them, WR Mike Evans, TE OJ Howard and TE Cameron Brate. We also don't have anyone who can match up with the speed of DeSean Jackson. Nor can our LB's match up with their 3rd down backs Keith Sims or Jaquizz Rodgers. We're just going to have to have a dominant pass rush and/or Winston needs to have a bad day.

While the Bucs have lots of weapons, I think that Jameis is seriously over-rated. He has also looked pretty ordinary at times in their practice games. It is interesting that so many of the NFL experts regard him so highly and rave about his amazing leadership. What I see is a lot of loud rambling histrionics to whip his team into a frenzy and at times his over the top antics appear frankly quite childish. My read is that he can be pretty inaccurate but Mike Evans is such an incredible player, he's always in with a good chance to catch the ball. You realize that Evans made Johnny Manziel look good at Texas A & M and permitted him to get drafted in the first round.
I was surprised that Tampa Bay are favorites to win the game. I honestly thought Miami would be slight favorites but I also expect Jay Cutler and Jay Ajayi to do well.

I understand that Mike Evans is a big problem but from what I've seen so far from this dolphins defense specifically the secondary... anyone who can catch the ball (WR, TE, RB, FB,) is a big problem for us.

If you want to send me a PM and discuss it please do but we will not do it here and any further off topic comment will be deleted.

Let's get back on topic guys. Simple request.

We need some hard hits from Jones or Howard early in the game. Wouldn't hurt to batter Winston early either.

In years past and possibly this year too I cringed at such match-ups. NE once more always come up with these schemes that says "your best player will NEVER beat us!" They would rather devote 2 CBs to shut down Evans and play everyone else straight up.

Will we do something similar or are we going to allow their best WR to destroy us? We'll find out shortly!

The problem is unless DeSean Jackson has lost a step he's just as good. And that OJ Howard kid looks like he might be a beast of a TE as well. If you want to shut down those three we need to hope Winston is throwing it up for grabs off his back.

Tampa's passing rank under Winston was 17th in 2015 and 12th in 2016. Thats not bad and he should improve with the extra weapons, extra year in the offense, etc.

Back
Top Bottom