Mike Mayock on Manny Lawson.... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Mayock on Manny Lawson....

I wouldn't mind taking a chance at Cromartie in the 1st. My second choice would be Donte Whitner. We added some talent in the secondary in free agency, but we don't have a total stud back there.

If we go OLB, I prefer Bobby Carpenter, who is a more heady and complete player than Manny Lawson. I'd be happy to drop down some and still grab Carpenter. But I think we can go into next season with Hodge/Spragan at OLB and be just fine.

nick1 said:
how is a guy who posted 10.5 sacks and 20 tackles for loss last season a workout warrior? the definition of a workout warrior is a player who looks very well in workouts but in a game doesn't do much. when you look at what Lawson did you see that he made alot of plays, he's not a workout warrior! he also blocked 9 punts in his college career

yeah as a defensive end... but with his size hes not being looked at as a DE mostly, but as an OLB in a 3-4, at least thats how we would use him...

Recalling Lawson in some NCSU games, I never thought he was a Bruce Smith type of DE who could literally take over a game.

At 16 I think it's a questionable pick.

I like Lawson as a prospect but I do not like the idea of using the #16 pick on a projection.

He MIGHT become a terrific OLB, but he is a gamble.

Right now I go Greenway, Whitner or maybe Holmes at #16..............unless Justice or Bunkley falls.

hdjetta6316 said:
You will hear some well informed dissension from the VIP crowd....
PLEASE dont start this crap. I go on other message boards and there is one person in every post who says something along those lines or if someone asks a q they say "the answer is in the vip area". Soon we are going to start seeing breaking news as a thread title and the message will say "check the vip area for what it is". I absolutely hate when people shove this stuff into my face and I bet there are a ton of people who agree with me. I am in college and dont have the money to spend on vip message boards yet.

I really hope finheaven doesn't turn into this kind of forum.

arsenal said:
yes thats what hes saying, hes a work out warrior, but in the positional drills at LB he wasn't too impressive hes saying...

so he ran fast, jumped high, benched a lot, etc... but when hes on the field is he good enough to warrant that high of a pick? i dont think so personally... i have never been too high on the guy...

I agree. Everything he did on the field was because Mario Williams was triple covered on the other side and Williams still had better #s.

I'm not saying the guy's a bad player, just a reach at #16.

There's a reason Manny Lawson was voted by his own teammates and coaches as the team MVP, not Mario Williams. He's a hard worker, he's smart, and honestly his workouts and tangibles make Mike Mamula look like Elvis Dumervil, IMO.

He doesn't take over games, but he's ALWAYS there. He's always in the QBs ear hole. Its like clockwork, he never disappears from games. I mean the guy had 10.5 sacks, 20 TFLs, 14 quarterback hurries, 4 passes defensed...he's blocked 9 kicks in his career at NC State.

Here's a fun fact. You know he's returned 5 punts for an average of 13 yards per return? Serious. He returned one for 7 yards in 2005, then for 15 yards in 2003, and 13, 13, and 17 yards in 2002.

I know I know, returns have nothing to do with being a defensive end. I just think that I've not seen a guy who plays so much like JT as this guy. His long arms (35.75" reach, same as D'Brickashaw Ferguson) keep his body away from the offensive tackle tryng to block him. He plays with good power (ask Marcus McNeil, who got bull rushed by Manny right into the QB at the Senior Bowl). And nobody can reproduce that speed rush around the edge. I've heard his spin move called pedestrian but when you're that fast, none of your moves are pedestrian. He's got Jason Taylor's spin move, not Dwight Freeney's whirling dervish.

I think the guy is going to be special wherever you play him because he's a smart player (scored a 28 on the wonderlic), he is a hard worker and a leader (see the Team MVP vote done by his own teammates and coaches), he's a physical freak in terms of speed and his ability to move, and at least in terms of hitting the weights, he's actually pretty strong...not overly strong, but plenty strong enough.

On that last note, Anthony Alabi has long arms like Manny except longer (36.75 inches) and he struggled on the 225 bench...only did 18 reps. But, he can reportedly max over 500 pounds. Why the disparity? Well, the long arms really sap your endurance on the bench, but not necessarily your maximum lift. Manny did 23 reps. Not fantastic, but certainly not bad, and actually quite good when you consider his 36 inch arms. Other guys in the draft with arms as long as many did around 27-28 reps, but they all outweighed Manny by near-100 pounds.

And what is remarkable to me is that he plays with power. He bull rushed the 340 pound McNeil right into the QB for a sack. He is easily able to use his upper body strength and long arms to keep the tackle off his body in the ground game, and this allows him to redirect after the ball carrier really well.

When you break down tape of Jason Taylor, you don't see some flashy spin move like Dwight Freeney. You don't see the bull rushing of Trace Armstrong. You don't see the club move of Reggie White or the rip move of Michael Strahan. You just see a guy who is tall, upright, extremely fast around the edge, strong enough to hold his arms out at the point of attack, has an endless motor, and otherwise just plain more athletic than everyone he faces. This is why he's able to string together any number of moves he wants even if he's not the expert in those maneuvers. He's always there. I don't know that you see a bunch of games where JT just takes over the whole thing (although he seems to consistently do so against the Broncos, strangely enough). He'll have his hat trick game every year, but otherwise he's just steady, always putting pressure on...never completely disappearing.

NickJr. said:
I agree. Everything he did on the field was because Mario Williams was triple covered on the other side and Williams still had better #s.

Well that's just plain not true. Mario Williams got 10 of his 14.5 sacks against Wake Forest, Southern Miss., and Maryland. Not exactly powerhouses with great OL those teams. He was not the one voted by the team and coaches as the Team MVP, it was Manny.

Prior to Wake Forest, Mario was not the star on that defensive line. Manny had been the guy that was more well known on the DL for being the speedy guy with tremendous athleticism. In 2004 these guys were right with each other the whole time in sacks, hurries, and TFLs. They were again right with each other in 2005.

I find it funny that someone would bring up Mario Williams knocking Manny Lawson for being a workout warrior, because Mario is only where he is because of his measurables as well.

ckparrothead said:
Well that's just plain not true. Mario Williams got 10 of his 14.5 sacks against Wake Forest, Southern Miss., and Maryland. Not exactly powerhouses with great OL those teams. He was not the one voted by the team and coaches as the Team MVP, it was Manny.

Prior to Wake Forest, Mario was not the star on that defensive line. Manny had been the guy that was more well known on the DL for being the speedy guy with tremendous athleticism. In 2004 these guys were right with each other the whole time in sacks, hurries, and TFLs. They were again right with each other in 2005.

I find it funny that someone would bring up Mario Williams knocking Manny Lawson for being a workout warrior, because Mario is only where he is because of his measurables as well.
do you think one could argue that Lawson is better than Williams? I think he is

Ever since the combine Manny has been the guy I want. If there is even a chance that this kid can give us another 10 years of "JT" or even close, I think we have to take a shot at 16. I am even more conviced he can be that type of player after reading CK's post....very well said brother. I think the Santonio Holmes', Tye Hills, Donte Witners, and CHad Greenways of the world are a dime a dozen in the first day of the draft.

NorFlaFin said:
Mike Mammula was a workout warrior and a complete bust.

The scouts have plenty of film on Lawson to base their opinons.

That's a good comparison. Mamula shot up the draft boards after the combine and private workouts, not because of his college productivity.
How about Andre Wadsworth from FSU? What has he done in the NFL? Boy, were people raving about him as an edge rusher before the draft.

NickJr. said:

I too was on the manny lawson bandwagon.
Then I remember watching the senior bowl
saying, to myself that number 91 is getting
no penetration. I really don't know if he can play olb
I hope I'm wrong.

but
Bobby Carpenter can play de/olb
he's a Monster on the field
very flexable in his hips

NorFlaFin said:
Mike Mammula was a workout warrior and a complete bust.

The scouts have plenty of film on Lawson to base their opinons.

Thing is, they've got plenty of film on his as an undersized DE. He'll play LB in the pros. So it's not quite Mike Mamula staying at DE.

Finfan14 said:
says Lawson is a wor out warrior and was not impressive at the combine in drills or on film in college.

Guys like that worry me. He would be a major reach at #16.

I couldnt disagree more... Lawson is a hell of an athletic speciman... but he is also an extremely talented player. He has a high motor and is all over the field.

He would be an animal in our defense...

Back
Top Bottom