Mike Mayock on Manny Lawson.... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Mayock on Manny Lawson....

NorFlaFin said:
Mike Mammula was a workout warrior and a complete bust.

The scouts have plenty of film on Lawson to base their opinons.

If you want a workout warrior... see: Vernon Davis

Speaking of Lawson, did he ever play LB in college? I dont think he did but i want to make sure. He is a helluvan athlete but do we want to use our first pick on a guy who hasnt played that position before?

Ideally, a guy that can step right in and play should be the route. Unless, Manny could after camp. What are your thoughts, can manny start the season at olb?

GCD960 said:
Speaking of Lawson, did he ever play LB in college? I dont think he did but i want to make sure. He is a helluvan athlete but do we want to use our first pick on a guy who hasnt played that position before?

Ideally, a guy that can step right in and play should be the route. Unless, Manny could after camp. What are your thoughts, can manny start the season at olb?
Yes. He played OLB before moving to DE his junior year.

wtf does that mean? lawson is sick. greenway scares me b/c hes similar to roth undersized and kind of look like theyll end up as average players. You want a beast who will be like a joey porter, terell suggs type player who strikes fear in the eyes of a qb, who rushes inside when taylor goes outside, who rushes from all different angles and combines with taylor to lead the afc in sacks, then you take manny lawson hands down. we have cover lb and crowder for run stopping. in the 3-4 u need that olb that will rush the qb like porter. thats lawson ;)

hdjetta6316 said:
a 6'5" 241 lb guy running a 4.43 is very impresive.

Yea but shouldn't we be judging him more on his on field talent and potential than his track time.

InSabanWeTrust1 said:
wtf does that mean? lawson is sick. greenway scares me b/c hes similar to roth undersized and kind of look like theyll end up as average players. You want a beast who will be like a joey porter, terell suggs type player who strikes fear in the eyes of a qb, who rushes inside when taylor goes outside, who rushes from all different angles and combines with taylor to lead the afc in sacks, then you take manny lawson hands down. we have cover lb and crowder for run stopping. in the 3-4 u need that olb that will rush the qb like porter. thats lawson ;)
Greenway is definitely not undersized, unless you consider an OLB who weighs 245/247 undersized. Greenway has some of the best insticts of any player in this year draft.

dlockz said:
Yea but shouldn't we be judging him more on his on field talent and potential than his track time.
I agree and his nearly 10 sacks and 18 tackles for losses shows that there is a lot of talent there.

I also like this about Manny.
“A guy I look up to, Jason Taylor, is about my size and height,” Lawson said.

nick1 said:
do you think one could argue that Lawson is better than Williams? I think he is

Whoaaa, that just simply is not the case man. You have to look at it by position. At DE, Lawson just doesn't have the size to even justify that statement. DE is a much higher ranked position than LB on defense, I mean how many times on Sportscenter do u see JT, or Freeney or Abraham getting pressure and stripping the ball, DE is the biggest playmaking position on the Defense and based on Performance and measurables, Williams is the clear better choice. Lawson, like alot of people are saying, is getting way more hype for his combine than his play on the field. I know he had a good year at NC State and was a definite leader on that team, but he was at DE where his opposite End was getting triple teamed in some situations, freeing him up one on one. Lawson is a great football player, not just an athlete, but I do think he is overrated right now, he can be special tho just not NFL ready like Williams is.

How about Andre Wadsworth from FSU? What has he done in the NFL? Boy, were people raving about him as an edge rusher before the draft.

Andre destroyed his kneecap and that injury effectively ended his career before it ever began.

jlfin said:
That's a good comparison. Mamula shot up the draft boards after the combine and private workouts, not because of his college productivity.
How about Andre Wadsworth from FSU? What has he done in the NFL? Boy, were people raving about him as an edge rusher before the draft.

Actually Mike Mamula had a pretty damn good career at Boston College - 3.2 TFL PER GAME!! - and really was mis-cast in Philadelphia. He was really a 3-4 OLB and Ray Rhodes is as much at fault for his mediocre career as Mamula is.

As for Wadsworth, Andre's career was devastated by injuries, but as someone who watched almost every game of his rise from walk-on to #3 overall pick, I have no dubt how good he would have been.

Boomer said:
Mayock is talking out of his asss.
A-MEN BROTHER every time I hear Ma*ock speak it's like running your fingers on a chalk board. He needs to stay in Philly and to stay off the airwaves.

Der Philth said:
I believe Mayock said he was great at the combine and wasn't as impressive on film. He had him graded as a 3rd round pick, which I think is very low for Manny, but it does make you wonder about burning the 16th overall on him. I think I'd rather get him at value later in the 1st by dropping down.
But Mel Kiper thinks he's a 1st round pick. I'd listen to Kiper before Mayock. I have a question...who the hell was Mike Mayock before they started the NFL network? I'd bet 99.9% of you had never heard of him, but now we are basing our opinions on a player based on what he says? Doesnt make sense. Atleast Kiper, whether you agree with him or not, has been around long enough for all of us to have formed an opinion about him. So once again...who's Mike Mayock???

For the record I am intrigued with the idea of Lawson however I am nerveoaus as well considering he would be playing a new position.

Its my feeling Lawson may fall into the "3rd" round, once all the workout stuff is digested and grades are made based on watching film IMO teams will start to realistically rank players.

I feel Lawson looks alot like Jason Taylor however the difference was JT was always looked at as a 4-3 end... and yet was still drafted in the 3rd round.

I feel that because he will have to be considered a project at LB he will slide into the 3rd.

Lastly consider that their is easily 5 true LB's that have a 1st rnd grade so teams may look first to a "true" LB to fill their need before they reach for a project no matter how athletic he is.

zodiak said:
For the record I am intrigued with the idea of Lawson however I am nerveoaus as well considering he would be playing a new position.

Its my feeling Lawson may fall into the "3rd" round, once all the workout stuff is digested and grades are made based on watching film IMO teams will start to realistically rank players.

I feel Lawson looks alot like Jason Taylor however the difference was JT was always looked at as a 4-3 end... and yet was still drafted in the 3rd round.

I feel that because he will have to be considered a project at LB he will slide into the 3rd.

Lastly consider that their is easily 5 true LB's that have a 1st rnd grade so teams may look first to a "true" LB to fill their need before they reach for a project no matter how athletic he is.
Lawson was a OLB before moving to DE permantely before his junior year. He was still called upon to drop into coverage in NC State's zone blitz packages. If you look at Lawson on film, he is at worse a second round pick.

Jason Taylor was considered a tweener coming out of Akron, not necessarily a football powerhouse, and many didn't know where he would play. Some thought he was too small to play DE (many still do) or not fast enough to play OLB in the NFL.

These days in the NFL, a tweener can be coveted because of their perceived versatility.

Back
Top Bottom