Mike Mayock says Alex Mack "not" the best Center | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Mayock says Alex Mack "not" the best Center

That is entirely correct. Jason Brown was a RFA last year and signed the one year tender. He will be a UFA when free agency opens. That web site saying his is a RFA is WRONG. It was mentioned in another thread and I believe the site is football futures or something close to that. There are other mistakes on that list too. Fred Weary is no longer with the Texans for example.

yes it was on football future, it says he is a FRA.. I guess they are wrong after all

This is one issue I have with Mayock, though I usually prefer him 10 to 1 over Helmet Hair Mel. On Monday of Senior Bowl week, he ranked the Cs as Unger, Wood, Mack. Then after two days of practices there, he flip flopped Unger and Wood. IMO, there is little of nothing from just 2 days of practices that should change the order. He spoke of Wood on Wednesday as if he were his #1 C all along and from looking at his list, I know it did not reflect that. If Wood is his #1 center, that's fine, he just should have been before Senior Bowl week.

Well, Eric Wood has been my number one center for some time... :)

i am shocked he chose Unger over Mack... i totally disagree with that.... but i can see Wood up there......

my guy is still Caldwell :)

Mack is Scott Wright's #1 center on draftcountdown.com. Scott has been online doing draft reports longer than anyone I know of, at least since mid 90s and he is usually pretty good.

"Strengths:
Ideal size and bulk...Extremely smart...Decent athlete with good agility and quickness...Physical and aggressive...Nasty with a killer instinct and always finishes plays...Great technician who understands angles and leverage...Outstanding awareness...Very strong and powerful and is a monster in the weight room...Above average mobility...Hard worker...Tough and durable... Has a lot of experience.

Weaknesses:
Does not have great balance and spends too much time on the ground...A little stiff in the hips...Not real light on his feet...Shorter arms than you'd prefer...Can be too aggressive at times...Will get out of control ... Susceptible to being overwhelmed by massive defenders.

Notes:
Recipient of the prestigious Draddy Trophy as a senior, which is also known as the "Academic Heisman", and is given to college football's top scholar-athlete...Redshirted as a true freshman, backed up Marvin Philip in 2005 then started the next three years...Went to the state wrestling tournament as a heavyweight in high school...Four-time Academic All-Pac-10...Graduated with a 3.61 GPA and a bachelor's degree in legal studies...Three-time first-team All-Pac-10...Won the Morris Trophy as the best offensive lineman in the Pac-10, as voted by the conferences defensive lineman, two years in a row...The total package who has everything you look for in terms of both physical tools and intangibles...Rare pivot who is a legitimate first round talent. "

Russ Lande also ranks him #1 at the War Room

War Room analysis
Run blocking: Consistently fires off the ball and delivers a hard initial blow to the defender. Does a good job of keeping his feet moving to stay after the block. Fights and competes until the whistle to keep the defender from disrupting the play. Makes the mistake of bending at the waist too often and can be jerked around by stronger defenders. Easily gets through the line of scrimmage to the second level to block linebackers. Is very fast getting out in front on outside runs. Can be too aggressive at times, which causes him to overextend and miss blocks. Grade: 7.5

Pass blocking: Gets out of his stance quickly to pick up the defender. Has excellent instincts and awareness, which allows him to pick up delayed blitzes. Displays good leverage. On film, looks smaller than his actual size. Tends to be driven backwards by stronger rushers. Grade: 8.0

Initial quickness: Has impressive agility. Sets up his blocks fast. Fires into the defender on in-line run blocks. Battles better against power rushers than his size would indicate. Grade: 8.0

Strength: Struggles to consistently hold his ground against larger defenders. Is not aggressive with his punch on blocks. Displays solid hands, which he uses to pin the defender on the line of scrimmage. Grade: 6.0

Mobility: Is very mobile, especially for a center. Displays the ability to bend his knees and block with leverage while on the move. Is able to get through traffic and make adjustments with ease. Grade: 7.0

Bottom line: Mack's athleticism jumps out and grabs your attention when you watch him on film. He struggled against top competition as a junior, getting overpowered too often for a player of his caliber, but he played with much more consistency against good teams as a senior. Mack has nearly all the traits to become a Pro Bowl center, but to reach that elite level, he must improve his overall strength and avoid lapses in technique.

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2009/players/8429.html

Russ Lande also ranks him #1 at the War Room

War Room analysis
Run blocking: Consistently fires off the ball and delivers a hard initial blow to the defender. Does a good job of keeping his feet moving to stay after the block. Fights and competes until the whistle to keep the defender from disrupting the play. Makes the mistake of bending at the waist too often and can be jerked around by stronger defenders. Easily gets through the line of scrimmage to the second level to block linebackers. Is very fast getting out in front on outside runs. Can be too aggressive at times, which causes him to overextend and miss blocks. Grade: 7.5

Pass blocking: Gets out of his stance quickly to pick up the defender. Has excellent instincts and awareness, which allows him to pick up delayed blitzes. Displays good leverage. On film, looks smaller than his actual size. Tends to be driven backwards by stronger rushers. Grade: 8.0

Initial quickness: Has impressive agility. Sets up his blocks fast. Fires into the defender on in-line run blocks. Battles better against power rushers than his size would indicate. Grade: 8.0

Strength: Struggles to consistently hold his ground against larger defenders. Is not aggressive with his punch on blocks. Displays solid hands, which he uses to pin the defender on the line of scrimmage. Grade: 6.0

Mobility: Is very mobile, especially for a center. Displays the ability to bend his knees and block with leverage while on the move. Is able to get through traffic and make adjustments with ease. Grade: 7.0

Bottom line: Mack's athleticism jumps out and grabs your attention when you watch him on film. He struggled against top competition as a junior, getting overpowered too often for a player of his caliber, but he played with much more consistency against good teams as a senior. Mack has nearly all the traits to become a Pro Bowl center, but to reach that elite level, he must improve his overall strength and avoid lapses in technique.

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2009/players/8429.html

If J.Brown is not an option in FA then Mack would be a great pick with our first.

Back
Top Bottom