Mike Wallace Is A Black Hole/Calling Jeff Ireland

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Elliott 1, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Elliott 1

Elliott 1 Banned Hammered

If you don't like my opinion, here are some others.
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

Out of 80 recievers who caught more than 49 passes, Wallace ranked 73rd last year.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-wide-receivers/

Out of 51 FA WR's, PFF ranks Mike Wallace 47th.

Here is what Steelers fans think.
    http://www.steelersfever.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92637

Antonio Brown/http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/65990/antonio-brown-awkwardness-with-wallace

He was almost benched last November. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...llace-of-pittsburgh-steelers-could-be-benched

This guy took the words right out of my mouth:
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...r-will-seduce-teams-in-free-agency-with-speed

Jeff Ireland!!!!!!!! Don't do it!!

2. Playmaker76

Playmaker76 Well-Known Member

You can't judge Wallace solely on last season for several reasons.

1. Big Ben missed quite a few games.
    2. Their pass protection was garbage negating Wallace's biggest strength.
    3. He wasn't happy with the organization. Most organizational behavior research links poor job performance with being unhappy with your organization. It's proven science.

Only a backwards looking fool would think Wallace is not worth the high price tag. He'd open up the entire offense if the Fins could shore up their pass protection.

3. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Well call me a backwards looking fool - I'm not sure that he's worth $12 -14 milion a year for the next 5 years. I'm not sure that he warrants being the highest paid player in a Dolphin jersey. I'm not sure that Ireland wants to bet his job on a player who just had a bad year.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2013
  4. Elliott 1

Last year alone?

Look, Wallace is 6'0" 199 pounds. He isn't big or strong. He isn't a red zone target. He doesn't win contested throws. He doesn't run great routes(except the go). He is a lousy blocker.

All he has ever done well is run go routes really fast. That is why he was picked in the third round. That is why the Steelers paid Antonio Brown and NOT wallace.

"He would open up the entire offense" Sounds like something seen while on acid.

I'm not saying he has no value. I'm saying it isn't half what he is asking.

By the way, everything I just said about his shortcomings; Vincent Jackson is the other side of the coin.

Jackson is perennially one of the top 3 blocking WR's in the league. He is big and strong. He is a red zone target. He runs great routes and get's open in the deep middle.

If we were talking about a complete WR like Jackson I would say yes spend the money, but Wallace is nowhere near the class of a Vincent Jackson.

5. Playmaker76

You are ignorant. Wallace does catch contested balls, especially on fade routes in the end zone. He might not be the best route runner but he can take any give short route to the house. Look at his stats from 2010- 2011 and tell me again he is not elite and isn't worth it. He is an elite WR with an elite skill set that is there for the taking. That doesn't happen very often in this league but when it does you better pounce on the opportunity. It's no big deal to overpay because we still have our QB on a rookie contract for several years and we would still have PLENTY of money left to address other needs. He's worth every penny. Pay the man.

6. Elliott 1

Well, I don't want to look too far back, somebody might accuse me of being a, "backwards looking fool".

7. Playmaker76

Well you better pray we get him before the Pats do or else there will be a lot of backwards wishing we should have signed him.....

8. Elliott 1

That's a joke. The Patriots want nothing to do with Wallace. They are a well run team with sensible management. They have never spent 10 mil+ on a WR and Welker isn't getting it either.

They will spend their money on their lines and maybe at CB. They might make a run at Cruz if he is RFA tendered but they won't offer him over 10 mil.
    Now that........would be devastating. Cruz with Brady would be very bad for business. Cruz is a far greater threat all over the field than Wallace has ever been.

9. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Pay him what he's worth. He's NOT worth more than 8-9 mill IMO. People like you want to see big plays and highlights, but don't understand that there are many aspects involved in winning football games and ultimately winning championships. I think Philbin and Ireland are looking more at the big picture and want to win championships rather than just making the offense more exciting. You don't throw off your entire salary structure on a one dimensional player. Playing winning offensive football is a team game which requires many moving parts working in unison.

10. number1fin

number1fin #onephin Donator

People opposed to bringing in Wallace must come to the realization that the CBA requires teams to spend most of their salary cap prior to the regular season.

Therefore, we'd have to allocate a substantial portion of money to the WR position anyway.

If you're for bringing in Jennings, same deal. He wants to be shown the money too!

If you're exclusively for bringing in rookie WR's only, wake up and smell the coffee! We need a proven guy to come in and solidify the position. Rookie WR's usually have a tougher transition in the league and will require some grooming.

So at the end of the day, it ain't my money, why the hell not wow him with an offer!

It's worth it for the buzz it'll create alone!

11. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Winning trumps buzz all the time. Teams have to manage the cap intelligently. They need to plan ahead and know which players are UFA next offseason and which players have escalators in their contracts. Teams don't have to spend ALL of the cap money each yr. I believe they have to spend a minimum percentage. Reckless and inefficient use of cap money does NOT create dynasties or win championships.

12. Elliott 1

Wow, we have 40 mil after the cap but guess what? Wow!

We have no starting LT.....
    We have no starting FS...
    We have no starting TE...
    We have no starting 3-technique DT....
    We have no quality RT....
    We have no LB depth....
    We should give new contracts to Paul Soliai and Reshad Jones.

We could spend the entire cap in one hour come March 12, no problem there.

13. Chuck-182

Chuck-182 Well-Known Member

THIS!!!! If the Pats get him, it's literally game over for us.

14. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

"$20 says he still sucks by next week...better yet I bet you $50 he couldn't even catch aids! LMFAO!

(not that we would want him to breed anyway. Don't need another dropped pass)!! LOL!"

Wow and I thought our fans were mean
    :lol:

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

READ MY POST >> Pats will NEVER pay Wallace 60 Million anything.. Not in money, not in bag'o chips, nothing. Not going to happen... ever.

15. Xbrett82us

Xbrett82us Starter

All I'm looking at is his stats.

[TABLE="class: wikitable"]

Season
    Team
    [TH="colspan: 2"]Games[/TH]
    [TH="colspan: 5"]Receiving[/TH]

GP
    GS
    Games

Rec
    Yds
    Avg
    Lng
    TD

Pittsburgh Steelers

82TD

Pittsburgh Steelers

95TD

Pittsburgh Steelers

56TD

Pittsburgh Steelers

60TD

Total

95TD

[/TABLE]

Even last year he had 8 touchdowns. How many touchdown receptions did we have in total last year? 9 or 10?

He averages 1000 yds a season and 8 tds a season. That's consistency.

16. number1fin

Reading your post history it appears you're for building through the draft to find our #1 WR.

So given that rookie WR's often don't hit the ground running, it'll take them at least a couple years to get a full grasp for the NFL level. Especially WR's who are very raw.

By the time they get up to speed, our franchise QB's growth will be stunted and we'd be back to square one all over again.

Frankly, NOT addressing the WR position this offseason through free agency is reckless and inefficient use of the salary cap which would continue us on the path of mediocrity for yet another season.

We simply can't afford that (no pun intended)!

17. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

The fact that they have Fitzgerald last is all I need to know.

Also, neither of those websites use coaches tape. So there opinion is null to me.

I watched plenty of Steelers games this year, that WHOLE team struggled. And Mike Wallace was unhappy. We all know what a unhappy WR does.

18. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

Been saying this for a while but these people are convinced that Wallace is the best thing they ever seen on cleats. Wallace is very one dimensional, he's another Desean Jackson. Just a speed guy. I wish we had the cap space to go after Vincent last offseason, would have made a world of difference.

19. number1fin

Your hyper sense of attachment to money is deafening!

I'd hate to call you a cheapskate, so I won't, that'd be to personal.

Instead I'll just refer to you as a thrifty spender, which is not a bad thing but in this case we have plenty of money and picks to address all of our needs, resign and restructure while still paying top dollar for a top end flight WR such as Wallace.

You can breathe now!

20. Elliott 1

Stedman Bailey had 25 TD's in 13 games last year. I prefer him.

DeAndre Hopkins had 18 TD's last year. I prefer him as well.

Santana Moss had 8 TD's playing limited snaps out of the slot and he is probably going to be released and available for a reasonable price.
    Good value for a team wanting to develop some younger guys. Dolphins would probably even be wise to trade a mid-late round pick for Moss. Redskins are in cap hell due to the sanctions against them by the NFL.

There are a lot of possibilities for the improvement of the receiving corps. Improving the OL would help more than anything. Give these guys some time to get open. Give them a running game to open things up.

A strong rushing attack will open up the field a helluva a lot more than a fast WR running go routes.

21. phinfan2003

phinfan2003 Perennial All-Pro

22. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

That should be our "new philosophy" get any players we think New England might be interested in

23. Gsmack_42

Gsmack_42 Well-Known Member

Mediocrity like the Detroit, Arizona, Dallas, Chicago, and the Giants last year all teams with at least 1 stud WR. We only need to look back to see what 10 mil a year got us with BM, 7-9 and 6-10 = the mediocrity you speak of. And on a side note there may be 1 or 2 that i can't remember. But most WR's that get big contracts from teams other than the one's that drafted them seem to become a shell of themselves.

24. Phinatic8u

THEY WERE IN COLLEGE!

Like dafuq?

25. Elliott 1

Megatron,Larry Fitzgerald,Vincent Jackson, are arguably the top three WR talents in the NFL. The highest paid anyway. It isn't enough for their respective teams anyway. Great receivers don't win championships, and Wallace doesn't even resemble great in any way.

Look at the teams that were in the playoffs last year. Frisco,Ravens Pats,Texans,Denver,Seattle, all of them have top OL's and strong rushing attacks except Denver and they didn't go far. Denver was actually 2nd in pass blocking but they need a couple better RB's.

You want excitement and buzz. Get a top three OL and start winning some games and then you will have excitement. Having a highly paid WR doesn't get the job done. A deep roster with strong lines gets it done.

I'm not cheap, I want every penny of the cap spent every single year; and if the Patriots are going to get by with under the table deals, maybe we need to do the same thing. Nah, then the Dolphins would be raw sewage like Kraft and Belichick.

26. Phinatic8u

Not really. Vincet Jackson, Marshall for the Bears, Terrell Owens. There's plenty others that went to another team and helped them alot more than hurt them.

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

But according to your "football bible" that usees "subjective stats" has Larry LAST.

So there opnion is null.

27. MDFinFan06

MDFinFan06 Fins4life

as time has gone on I dont want to pay any of these recievers for their inflated ego. I think none are as good as the money they want. I am at the point now where I feel lets resign hartline and draft a wr high. If we go after a reciever Id rather it be a larfer body quality reciever through a trade. IMO I feel like these guys are being put on a pedistal and not at all worth what they are asking.

28. Elliott 1

Ah, and so we see once again, QB is pre-eminent. How do help QB's the most??? with fast WR's???? Nooooooo....With a stud OL?? yeeesss.

29. Elliott 1

dafuq?? Is that a code you godly people use? college huh, hmm

30. insomnia411

insomnia411 The world is yours

Yes, the mediocre Giants who won the Super Bowl when they had 2 great receivers and another good one, and then missed the playoffs when they lost their #3 receiver and their #1 was hurt the entire season.
    We aren't ever going to win **** until we upgrade our receivers in a big way. Rookies are always a total crapshoot, and Wallace was metrically the best WR in football when Big Ben was healthy and the Steelers could block worth half a ****. I want us to draft a couple of wideouts as well, but a proven ace like Wallace makes us a much better offense immediately. We have plenty of cap room, I argue that we should use it to improve.

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

Um. Both?

31. jd13

jd13 Starter

Wallace also played in a different offense last year. He might not be the best WR but he has 1 thing that this team is sorely lacking-speed. Realize this about Wallace, everyone knows he's going deep and he still makes plays. He stretches the field and every team has to use a safety over the top. He changes the whole offense. We need playmakers and Mike Wallace is the best 1 available.

32. Andyman

Andyman Canadian Fin Fan

You're right. This idea that he's just a deep route runner is wrong. Check out his Td against the Giants this past year. That was incredible.

33. Elliott 1

Well if that's all it takes to open up the field then why don't we just draft Tavon Austin or Marquiess Goodwin and have them run the 9. Goodwin is supposed to be a 3rd rounder, we'd only have to pay him about a mil. Actually, I have a feeling that if Goodwin and Wallace raced down the field for real, Goodwin would win 4 out 5 times; but that isn't really how things go down, now is it.

34. Elliott 1

This is what you should be watching if you want to see TD's.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy9PSHnWZ9M

35. EvilDylan

EvilDylan A True Fan Donator

Elliott 1, you are a walking contradiction.

You use stats to support your argument, yet those same stats disprove your argument. That fact that you are supporting both of your arguments pretty much destroys your credibility. Secondly, you're hyping up a bunch of college players that you have no clue how they will turn out in the pros.

Bravo.

36. Elliott 1

This is a thread about Mike Wallace, the guy who personifies hype, and I'm the one being accused of hype. Well, that takes the cake.

Time for my nap.

37. Phinatic8u

Yeah it's exactly what godly people do.

Yeah they were in college, and in "weaker" conferences. So there TDs total are irrelevant.

38. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

39. EvilDylan

EvilDylan A True Fan Donator

Sounds like you need a nap to think a little more clearly.

Wallace has legitimate production in the NFL, the COLLEGE players you named do not. There's a huge difference between hype and verifiable production.

40. Bagga-Viagra

Bagga-Viagra A True Fan

You can add to that the fact that they had a new offensive coordinator Todd Haley who doesn't run the same vertical attacking type of offense as Bruce Arians did during Wallace's more productive years.