Miles Austin? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miles Austin?

Jerry Jones said today the team has no plans of cutting austin.

Cutting and trading are night and day.

No reason whatsoever Miami shouldn't offer a 4th or even a 3rd for Miles Austin. I think Ck even mentioned he could then be cut for $0 guaranteed. Sign me up because when healthy he's one of the most explosive WRs in the game. IMO I'd rather have Austin anyday over Jennings.

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't think the boys will cut him...but this is what i was trying to get across in the trade for wr x thread earlier this week...no ones taking on austins remaining contract and offering good return compensation to the cowboys for miles austin...it's not a smart trade...with his cap # if he won't restructure you can wait for him to be cut if they want out of his money that bad...

not to mention quality wr draft class that will be much cheaper on rookie contracts...

I would take the guy but not overpay for him. Given his hamstring problems and miami's heat in in the first 3 months of the season the last thing we need is a guy that has hamstring problems making good chance but not really seeing the field or being able to give 100%. We have dealt with that for years at the wideout position in terms of never finding the right guy that can have a fully productive career here.

This needs to be the season miami FINALLY stops grabbing stop gaps and at straws at a minimum draft a top flight guy and don't look back. You will never find that guy if OL are the priority ever year in the first 2 rounds.

If you can trade for Austin even with his huge contract and pick him up for a 4th or even a 5th, why wouldn't you? You're going to pay a WR the same amount in FA and Austin is younger and just as productive as Jennings. The same injury concerns applies for both of them.

I want a top flight prospect as much as anyone but this is a do or die situation for Ireland and possibly the entire staff. You can't rely on a prospect to come right in and make an immediate impact. Just my opinion.

The Cowboys are over the cap and one of the reasons why they are looking to dump Austin now is to get under it before the start of the league year. Since trades can't happen until the start of the new league year the Dolphins can't offer anything beforehand. You would have to try and convince the cap strapped Cowboys to hold onto him until 4:00PM on March 12th and force them to cut other players to get under the cap.

That won't be a hard convincing if they think they can get something for him in trade. They need to create between $6 and $7 million for draft picks anyway. They can easily have Austin occupy that space until he's traded. Then if worst comes to worst they have to cut him on the eve of training camp when they need to sign all their draft picks.

This seems like classic bait technique from Jerry Jones and the Cowboys.

You get teams thinking about Miles Austin by dangling him in the water via rumors of cutting him. That will naturally get teams thinking about where he might fit into their depth chart and salary structure. It will also get teams thinking about the possibility of trading for him in order to pre-empt his reaching the free market, locking in his very reasonable $19.1 million 3 year contract.

Then you pull the bait. You let everyone know you're not cutting him. If they want him, they'll have to trade for him.

It's all posturing.

I've come to the conclusion that Austin and Wallace would be the most ideal duo we could attain this offseason. A Speedster and a YAC guy.

J Jones the master strategist... sic! He says he wants credit for GM-ing the Boys next Super Bowl...

Back
Top Bottom