MLB HOF 2007: Gwynn & Ripken | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MLB HOF 2007: Gwynn & Ripken

BigDogsHunt

Prove It!
Reaction score
Ripken = 98.53% (3rd highest all time, highest position player ever)
Gwynn = 97.1%

bummer.....Gossage, Rice, Dawson, and Blyleven were next and close but no cigar for 2007.

Gossage just missed with 71.2%

Big Mac = 23.5%

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/...t_id=1775441&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

NEW YORK -- As anticipated, the dynamic duo of eight-time National League batting champion Tony Gwynn and Iron Man Cal Ripken Jr. earned election to the National Baseball Hall of Fame on Tuesday, both having attained nearly the highest percentage of votes in history.

On the ballot for the first time, the pair will be inducted into the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown on July 29. They will be joined by any candidates elected in the Hall of Fame Veterans Committee election, the results of which will be announced on Feb. 27.

Ripken garnered 98.53 percent of the vote, the third highest in balloting history done by veteran members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America, but the most for a position player. Ripken finished behind Tom Seaver (98.83 in 1992) and Nolan Ryan (98.79 in 1999). Gwynn's percentage of 97.6 percent, based on his 532 votes, ranks seventh all-time.

Mark McGwire, also a ballot newcomer, fell well short of election, his name appearing on less than a quarter of the record 545 ballots cast, two of which were left completely blank.

There is good news and bad news for Rich "Goose" Gossage, the reliever who is creeping ever so close to his day in the Cooperstown sun. The bad news is that this time Gossage came up 21 votes shy of the 75 percent needed to ascend to the Hall. The good news is that with a much thinner ballot next year, Gossage seems to be on the cusp.

On the ballot for the eighth year, the Goose came in at 71.2 percent, an increase from his 64.6 percent a year ago. In the history of the BBWAA Hall of Fame voting, no candidate has ever received at least 70 percent in an election without eventually gaining a place in Cooperstown. Most recently, Don Sutton (73.2 percent in 1997) and Gaylord Perry (72.1 percent) gained election the very next year.

Goose should be there next year.

I would agree (as long as he doesnt tick off any voters between now and then)

In the history of the BBWAA Hall of Fame voting, no candidate has ever received at least 70 percent in an election without eventually gaining a place in Cooperstown. Most recently, Don Sutton (73.2 percent in 1997) and Gaylord Perry (72.1 percent) gained election the very next year.

There were five FOOLS that voted for Cal Ripken..But DID NOT vote for Gywnn.

They must revoke those guys ballots forever.

There were five FOOLS that voted for Cal Ripken..But DID NOT vote for Gywnn.

They must revoke those guys ballots forever.

There were a couple of writers who protested voting this season because guys like Caminiti, Canseco, and McGwire were on the ballot so that should explain why they didn't get a few votes. For everyone that handed in a ballot and excluded Gwynn and Ripkin, you 1,000 percent right, they should have their rights taken away and should be exposed to the public!

Ripken and Gwynn, both class acts and 2 of my all time favorite players. Congrats to both of them!

Anyone that didnt vote for Gwynn or Ripken should never be allowed to vote again. If they didnt vote in some silly protest they should have their priviledges taken away as well. Why protest? Just vote no and move on. The voters for the baseball HOF are idiots who take personal grudges against certain players way too far.

Getting 100% of the votes is overrated. If people like Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, Cy Young, Ty Cobb and Joe D never got 100% then neither should have Ripken or Gywnn. I doubt they even care if they got 90% or the 70%.

Everyone knows some of the writers are jerks/jokes and won't vote for someone just to "be different" or won't vote for a certain player because he had a bad experience or because that player played for a rival team. It's a shame but those types of writers are thankfully few.

Gywnn...20 seasons...a .338 lifetime average.

Think about that for a while.

BTW...current LOCK Hall of Famers?

I say:

Clemens
Maddux
Jeter
A-Rod
Ramirez

Getting 100% of the votes is overrated. If people like Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, Cy Young, Ty Cobb and Joe D never got 100% then neither should have Ripken or Gywnn. I doubt they even care if they got 90% or the 70%.

Everyone knows some of the writers are jerks/jokes and won't vote for someone just to "be different" or won't vote for a certain player because he had a bad experience or because that player played for a rival team. It's a shame but those types of writers are thankfully few.

I know one voter who didnt have them on his ballot said he did it because he knew they were a lock so he put other people on his ballot who would get less consideration. Guess it kind of makes sense but I dont really agree with it.

Back
Top Bottom