MLB HOF 2007: Gwynn & Ripken | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MLB HOF 2007: Gwynn & Ripken

Gywnn...20 seasons...a .338 lifetime average.

Think about that for a while.

BTW...current LOCK Hall of Famers?

I say:

Clemens
Maddux
Jeter
A-Rod
Ramirez

Adding to the list:

Randy Johnson
Pedro Martinez
Mariano Rivera
Tom Glavine
John Smoltz
Ken Griffey Jr.
Trevor Hoffman

Hall of Fame LOCKS IMO!

Griffey
Piazza
Pudge
Glavine
Maddux
A-Rod
Clemens
Randy Johnson
Bonds
Mariano
Pedro
Biggio
Smoltz
Frank Thomas
Hoffman
Manny

Borderline

Thome
Jeter
Ichiro
Sheffield
Andruw Jones
Schilling

That's my opinion. I might be leaving 1 or 2 guys out but I don't have time to go look them up!

Hall of Fame LOCKS IMO!

Griffey
Piazza
Pudge
Glavine
Maddux
A-Rod
Clemens
Randy Johnson
Bonds
Mariano
Pedro
Biggio
Smoltz
Frank Thomas
Hoffman
Manny

Borderline

Thome
Jeter
Ichiro
Sheffield
Andruw Jones
Schilling

That's my opinion. I might be leaving 1 or 2 guys out but I don't have time to go look them up!

Good post. But in my opinion there's no way that Jeter is borderline. He's a lock. He'll be the 3rd best SS in the history of baseball when he retires (behind Ripken and Wagner).

I think it's too early to tell with Jones, Ichiro or Thome. They need to put together a few more good years (unless Jones gets in on just his glove alone). Schilling is an interesting case, you could argue back and forth for hours whether or not he is, this last year could certainly help his case. Sheffield is an interesting case too because of the whole steriod thing, I'm on the fence with him.

Jeter is a lock, Captain of one what 3 or 4 World Series teams. I believe Allstar team just about every year he played as well.

Getting 100% of the votes is overrated. If people like Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, Cy Young, Ty Cobb and Joe D never got 100% then neither should have Ripken or Gywnn. I doubt they even care if they got 90% or the 70%.

Everyone knows some of the writers are jerks/jokes and won't vote for someone just to "be different" or won't vote for a certain player because he had a bad experience or because that player played for a rival team. It's a shame but those types of writers are thankfully few.

Thank you! I do not understand why people are making such a big stink out of the "they weren't unanimous!" thing. Who cares? They're in the Hall of Fame. Isn't that enough?

Is it stupid not to vote for Ripken and Gwynn? Of course it is. Is that guy who voted for no one because he wanted to make a statement on the "Steroid Era" a pompous jackass? Of course he is. But you can't take someone's vote away just because they didn't vote for this guy or that. This is an extremely subjective process, and therefore, there has to be some allowance for bizarre opinions. Ripken and Gwynn are Hall of Famers, and the rest of it doesn't matter. Believe me, I've been to the Hall of Fame several times, and nowhere on the player's plaque does it say "elected with X% of the vote".

Gossage should get in next time, and it's about flippin' time. He had a big jump in votes, and I think voters thought "huh, if we're going to vote in Bruce Sutter, we'd better elect Gossage, too". I don't think anyone else who was on this year's ballot will make it via the BBWWA vote, though. Jim Rice's candidacy appears to have hit its highest level of support, and next year's election is his last on the ballot. Maybe the Vets Committee will induct him.

As for current HOF'ers, I pretty much agree with everything Ray Finkle said. Jeter would only miss the HOF if his numbers fall off a cliff in the next two years. I'd note one exception, though: Smoltz isn't a lock. I'd bet on him to get in, but he's going to have a strange candidacy.

Gossage should get in next time, and it's about flippin' time. He had a big jump in votes, and I think voters thought "huh, if we're going to vote in Bruce Sutter, we'd better elect Gossage, too". I don't think anyone else who was on this year's ballot will make it via the BBWWA vote, though. Jim Rice's candidacy appears to have hit its highest level of support, and next year's election is his last on the ballot. Maybe the Vets Committee will induct him.

As for current HOF'ers, I pretty much agree with everything Ray Finkle said. Jeter would only miss the HOF if his numbers fall off a cliff in the next two years. I'd note one exception, though: Smoltz isn't a lock. I'd bet on him to get in, but he's going to have a strange candidacy.

The Goose will and should get in finally. And it's about time. I think Rice will get in too next year. His drop was expected this year because of Ripken and Gywnn.

Smoltz will get in and he deserves to in my opinion, he’ll be the only pitcher in baseball history with 200 plus wins and 150 saves. He won a Cy Young, and has been one of the more dominating pitchers during the “juice eraâ€Â. The fact that he was dominating as both a starter and closer pushes him in.

Who is in the running for the hall next year?

Everyone that had at least 5% of the votes this past year:

Rich "Goose" Gossage 71.2%
Jim Rice 63.5%
Andre Dawson 56.7%
Bert Blyleven 47.7%
Lee Smith 39.8%
Jack Morris 37.1%
Mark McGwire 23.5%
Tommy John 22.9%
Steve Garvey 21.1%
Dave Concepcion 13.6%
Alan Trammell 13.4%
Dave Parker 11.4%
Don Mattingly 54 9.9%
Dale Murphy 9.2%
Harold Baines 5.3%

New for 2008:
Shawon Dunston, Travis Fryman, David Justice, Mike Morgan, Tim Raines, Randy Velarde

Thank you! I do not understand why people are making such a big stink out of the "they weren't unanimous!" thing. Who cares? They're in the Hall of Fame. Isn't that enough?

Is it stupid not to vote for Ripken and Gwynn? Of course it is. Is that guy who voted for no one because he wanted to make a statement on the "Steroid Era" a pompous jackass? Of course he is. But you can't take someone's vote away just because they didn't vote for this guy or that. This is an extremely subjective process, and therefore, there has to be some allowance for bizarre opinions. Ripken and Gwynn are Hall of Famers, and the rest of it doesn't matter. Believe me, I've been to the Hall of Fame several times, and nowhere on the player's plaque does it say "elected with X% of the vote".

75% is the only number these HoFers care about. Goose will be thrilled and wouldnt care if its spot on 75%.

That said, I do think the 8 voters for non-Ripken and the 13 voters for non-Gwynn do owe an explanation. I think they should be judged on whether they were competent in their thinking or whether they were making a statement of some kind. A simple checks and balances on sanity is all. Just require them to explain what or why they did what they did.

Any insane or dillusional voters should be expunged and replaced....LOL

The biggest name is David Justice. So saying the pool class is extremely thin is an understatement. Therefore guys like Goose and Rice will probably get in.

I think 2008 is the Goose, Rice, Blyleven and Morris show finally.

Dawson & Smith remain on the outside looking in! Big Mac climbs higher but still not sure if voters issue 75% agreement.

Everyone that had at least 5% of the votes this past year:

Rich "Goose" Gossage 71.2%
Jim Rice 63.5%
Andre Dawson 56.7%
Bert Blyleven 47.7%
Lee Smith 39.8%
Jack Morris 37.1%
Mark McGwire 23.5%
Tommy John 22.9%
Steve Garvey 21.1%
Dave Concepcion 13.6%
Alan Trammell 13.4%
Dave Parker 11.4%
Don Mattingly 54 9.9%
Dale Murphy 9.2%
Harold Baines 5.3%

New for 2008:
Shawon Dunston, Travis Fryman, David Justice, Mike Morgan, Tim Raines, Randy Velarde

Judging by those names new for 2008, Id say a lot of those guys with 60% or higher have a great chance of getting in. Id love to see Dawson and Rice get in, those guys are HOF IMO.

They should at least make the voting results public. Those people that didnt vote for Gwynn or Ripken do owe people a explanation. Theres this silly 'unwritten' rule that some idiots have that they vote for no one on the first try. Theres also backdoor deals with people, agreements to vote for this guy or that guy if you vote for my guy, etc. These idiots should have to answer for their votes at the very least. Honestly I think if we could see who voted for who the voting would be a lot better. I still think anyone who didnt vote for Gwynn or Ripken is simply not a good enough judge of what makes a HOF to keep their vote. The vote should be a priveledge, not a right.

Back
Top Bottom