Mock Off Season/ Warning: Includes Substantial Reality | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mock Off Season/ Warning: Includes Substantial Reality

Kingdom Come

Active Roster
Reaction score
This scenario will be based primarily on these foundational realities.

Tannehill will be QB. Jarvis Landry will be a Chicago Bear. Dolphins defense remains and Kiko is a starter. No wait. The Dolphins have an extremely difficult salary cap situation. Free agent boons may have to wait until next year. They will want their comp picks for Landry and Hayes.

Look for the Dolphins to sign cap casualties to fill in some roster spots, but they will want to engineer a cap rollover for the 2019 off season when they go for broke.

Tannehill will be mediocre as always and fans should stop thinking he still has room for improvement. That is not reality.

Dolphins free agents: It is doubtful that the Dolphins bring back many free agents except for their ERFA's because there just isn't money to bring back guys like Michael Thomas,Damien Williams, or Walt Aikens .

Dolphins will of course release Julius Thomas and Lawrence Timmons and rework whatever contracts they can to get a little flexibility. Fasano gets one more year. He's cheap and can still run block like no one else.

I think when the defensive staff gets together and examines last year's film they WILL realize that Kiko can't cover , and so I am projecting that TJ McDonald will move full time to the LB position and actually play more snaps next year than Kiko. Roto lists TJ at 6'2" 223, but he is actually closer to 6'3" and he has arms over 33 inches. He may add some upper body weight to to get stronger and improve his ability to shed blocks but he is already bigger than most of the other hybrids out there like Telvin Smith,Deonne Buchanon,Shaq Thompson,etc.

Ju'Wuan James: I think the Dolphins will just have to the roll the dice with this one and keep him on his 5th year option into the league year and then hope to trade him. I believe the general consensus is that the Dolphins are sure they have a replacement or two or three at the RT position. James is well thought of around the league and was ranked second in the NFL by PFF among RT's before getting injured. He is also just 25 years old. Getting good compensation for him should be a lock. Why??

The market. The OT tackle market could not possibly be better. Even if Nate Solder makes free agency he is getting old and after him there is virtually a complete dearth of starters available at either left or right tackle. The league is just filthy with OT needy teams. Perfect time to have an expendable starting OT.

In a different market I would say maybe a 3rd, considering the need to sign him to a long term contract, but in this market a high 2nd would be a conservative guess. The oft mentioned Browns with their 5 picks in the first two rounds would actually probably love to add James to their already nearly ALL PRO OL. RT was the one weak spot and they could lock that up for the next 6 years with a Bulaga type deal for James. With well over 100 mil in cap, the contract is a drop in the bucket to the Browns.

Dolphins get pick# 35

DeMarco Murray RB is going to be a cap casualty and I expect the Dolphins to be all over that one. I see him as a perfect RB in a Dolphins committee. He is an excellent receiver.

Defensive Back Vontae Davis has already been cut and I have said for years that his best position would be be free safety. I see him being just as good or better than Devin McCourty. Davis is thirty now and will not command a high salary. Contrary to popular belief, Davis isn't stupid, he is actually highly intelligent and would have little difficulty learning the nuances of safety, as long as he is sober.

Slot WR Randall Cobb is as good as gone considering the deal they gave Devantae Adams. Cobb isn't close to what he once was but I'm not ruling out a comeback season for him. He won't command a a big contract and may even have to accept a one year deal. Dolphins take a flier.

TE Coby Fleener won't be back with the Saints. He is a concussion waiting to happen, but he is legitimate talent at a position of need and he isn't getting another big contract.

I have PFF's signature stats for 2017 and I have spent over a hundred hours blowing up my mind on endless numbers. Anyway, these aren't just wild guesses.

Draft:
#11 Trade down and garner two 2nd rounders and a 5th from Jacksonville. Jaguars cut Bortles and save a clean 19 mil in cap. They love the kid from Wyoming and he is there at 11. Then draft Mason Rudolph at #29 who I think is better.
#35 RB Rashad Penny Dominated PFF's stats
#42 OL Frank Ragnow Will compete with Ted Larson at RG until the passing of Pouncey. Ragnow was PFF's highest rated OL last year. He projects to start immediately.
#61 Wyatt Teller LG Crazy good guard if he is really there at this pick.

3rd trade down a few and add a 5th..... MLB Nick DeLuca I have him the top ILB in this class. He slides because of small school bias and legitimate durability issues. I have seen every game he played in at NDSU and this guy is the picture that should form in your mind when you here the word playmaker.
4th WR Trey Quinn Filled up PFF's stats like no other WR out there. Best hands in college football. As rock solid as it gets. Probably beats out Cobb before the year ends. Landry would not be missed.
4th Mike Gesicki TE...
5th Donte Jackson CB Might run a 4.2 Wouldn't matter much. He is a project and a special teamer.
5th Godwin Ikweibuke safety
6th Trequan Smith WR One of PFF's top rated deep threats
7th Brian Womac OLB/DE How many sacks?
7th Davontae Harris DB Golden. This is draft value right here
7th Joe Ostman DE/LB/ST's How many sacks?
URFA's
Tee Simms DE PFF's highest rated pass rusher
Nic Shimonek QB
Logan Woodside QB
Punter Ryan Winslow
DT Kevon Perry
RB Jamal Morrow
RB Ralph Webb
DB Dee Delaney
OL David Bright
OC Trey Martin
LB Jonathan Peterson
DL Jullian Taylor

Roster:
QB.....Tannehill,Rudolph.....PS Shimonek and Woodside
WR....Parker,Stills,Cobb,Trey Quinn,Grant,Trequan Smith
RB.....Penny,Drake,Murray,Webb
TE.....Fleener,Fasano,Gesecki,Gray
OT...Tunsil,Jesse Davis, Eric Smith,Zach Sterup,David Bright
OG...Frank Ragnow,Wyatt Teller,Ted Larson
OC...Pouncey,Brendel,Trey Martin

DT...Suh,Phillips,Godcheaux,Taylor,Perry
DE...Wake,Branch,Harris,Womac,Ostman,Simms,Jullian Taylor
MLB...DeLuca,Chase Anderson
Will...TJ McDonald,Kiko,Hull
Sam...Raekwon McMillan,Stephone Anthony,Jonathan Peterson
Safety....Jones,Vontae Davis,Godwin Ikweibuke,Jordan Lucas,Dee Delaney
CB....Tankersley,Tony Lippett,Bobby McCain,Xavien Howard,Donte Jackson,Davontae Harris,Tory McTyre
Punter..Ryan Winslow
Kicker...Parkey
LS...Denney

Great fictional wish list, I'd buy in although not sure some of those players can be had and i'd fall on the floor if we got a high 2 for James.

Things I agree with:

Julius Thomas and Lawrence Timmons are gone.

James's 5th year option is picked up. I do not think they trade him.

I 'like' most it as in it's a positive, possible scenario but most the FA signings are AWFUL.

Davis? With this year's FS FA market? It's the only FA market with good value. Reid is a done deal to be available and won't be too expensive. He's a scheme fit too.

Cobb? If Landry walks it's Carroo, seasoned with some Grant and a draft pick IMO.

Fleener? Derby is Thomas' replacement, what we need is a blocker. Virgil Green from... Wait for it... Denver! Is a lock, IMO.

The trade with Jax is not awful or that far fetched but I stopped reading when I got to Rudolph. Yuck!

Agree on the Eric Reid bit. I have no idea what San Fran was doing with him last year.

I 'like' most it as in it's a positive, possible scenario but most the FA signings are AWFUL.

Davis? With this year's FS FA market? It's the only FA market with good value. Reid is a done deal to be available and won't be too expensive. He's a scheme fit too.

Cobb? If Landry walks it's Carroo, seasoned with some Grant and a draft pick IMO.

Fleener? Derby is Thomas' replacement, what we need is a blocker. Virgil Green from... Wait for it... Denver! Is a lock, IMO.

The trade with Jax is not awful or that far fetched but I stopped reading when I got to Rudolph. Yuck!

The whole thread was to give a glimpse of what the off season may look like if they go for the comp picks, right? How then are you complaining about FA's when the whole scenario is about not entering the free agent market in order to secure a 3rd round comp and possibly a fifth as well; and to to accomplish some roll over for the 2019 off season.

If the Dolphins are abandoning hope for comp picks and roll over, then that is a completely different situation.

And for crying out loud, Caroo? It is extremely unlikely he makes any roster next year.

I don't love Tannehill but I would never say he doesn't have room for improvement, any player under the right circumstances has room for improvement. See Thomas Jones post cardinals career, or Steve Young after 30 years of age.

The whole thread was to give a glimpse of what the off season may look like if they go for the comp picks, right? How then are you complaining about FA's when the whole scenario is about not entering the free agent market in order to secure a 3rd round comp and possibly a fifth as well; and to to accomplish some roll over for the 2019 off season.

If the Dolphins are abandoning hope for comp picks and roll over, then that is a completely different situation.

And for crying out loud, Caroo? It is extremely unlikely he makes any roster next year.

Wow, I take you're that low on Carroo. I'm not.

Back
Top Bottom