Monday 6/14/04 QB Camp Report | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Monday 6/14/04 QB Camp Report

Finsflurry

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
First time it's rained all offseason, sucks for us fans but I guess it's good for the players since they need to practice in something other than sunny weather since it won't always be like that. Timbo was back out there and looking the best he has all offseason, he was particpating in pretty much every drill and had a few stops, so I like what I'm seeing from him. On to the drills.

Turk was doing punting from the end zone with a rush, most of his kicks landed about 5 yards short of midfield which isn't bad, but his hangtime was really bad on most of them and the punt coverage team didnt' have enough time to get down there. He's a veteran and I'm sure he knows how to correct it but that aspect needs some work. DBs did some interception and fair catch drills, Banks dropped nearly every ball he got...Will Poole however had a couple of amazing catches including a one-hander, he seems to have that natural ball-hawk ability. Speaking of ball hawks, Sam Madison was looking terrific today in all the drills, he had an extra spring in his step. After what Mel said about Yeremiah Bell I watched to see how quick he really was...the drill was about 20 yards long with a cone in the middle, he made it to that cone faster than Knight and Freeman combined lol. (JK if you think I'm serious) He has an extremely fast first few steps and that is such a huge advantage in terms of reaction time, it could be the difference in a big play situation, but anyways the young guns were looking good out there. The o-line you still can't tell much, but from what I could see Carey and James were having very nice afternoons. Carey is a freaking mauler, he nearly lifted Pape off the ground on some of his blocks, he's gonna murder people.

The qbs were looking good in the early drills, Newson and Sam Simmons were dropping a few balls, as did Tolver. Jay was a little erratic on these drills, as he had people reaching and stretching for balls that would have no YAC. Jay started looking better as the drills progressed, with 5 people out wide. Chambers has yet to drop a pass in the offseason, this man is money every time the ball is near him, he is so consistent now. AJ started off with a nice bomb to Simmons but followed that up by throwing a stinker to R-Mac on a simple short cross route. It seems like he's trying too hard on the easy throws and pinpoint them exactly and his mechanics falter a bit. Trestman was in his ear about this and he got a little better as practice went on. AJ threw another nice fly pattern to Boston, thsoe 30-40 yard midrange throws are always right on the money, every guy gets it in stride. After 40 yards he gets slightly erratic but those intermediate throws are simply money in the bank. Fiedler ended the warmups with three straight nice throws, then they scrimmaged.

Ricky short stretch run to right side 3 yds
Jay sacked by David Bowens who smoked St Clair
Jay nearly sacked again by Bowens and Chester
Jay 5 yard in to Donald Lee hit immediately
Ricky nice in-cut, good blocking by James and McKinney
Jay would've been sacked again by Jay Williams who turnstiled St Clair again
Feeley in, draw to Ricky nice 8 yd gain
Feeley behind McMichael, again he's trying too hard to pinpoint it on the easy pass
Feeley picked off by Madison for 6, bad throw into double coverage but excellent baiting by SMad (similar to the Leftwich int from last year)
Trestman pulls Feeley off and is criticizing him
Travis Minor breaks a 20 yarder to the left side sprung by Jeno James
Feeley quick out to Newson almost batted down at the line
Feeley nice pass to McMichael on the cross, that time he just reacted and let his arm do the work instead of thinking about it
Fiedler handoff to Sammy Morris minimal gain
Fiedler quick out to McMichael
Jay terrible pass to Chambers nearly picked off by Zach
Minor another nice run
Minor good draw play he's shifting and cutting excellent today
Jay pass to Ricky in the backfield would've been a loss
Ricky off right runs right over Seau and doesn't look back
Feeley fake handoff rollout to right complete to R-Mac
Feeley good throw to Lee
Aj complete to Chambers on the rollout 20 yds
AJ terrific pass to Sammy Morris in double coverage, he really fitted it in a tight spot
AJ over the middle to Ricky, he's starting to look real comfortable
AJ another beauty to Thompson in double coverage, threw it in stride
AJ complete to Konrad, good job avoiding the rush
Side note, I think CK commented that once this kid gets on a roll, he is damn near unstoppable, well I sure saw signs of that because when he started gaining confidence he was on fire and had a very imposing prescence in the pocket for the first time

7 on 7s
Jay over the middle to Ricky
Jay cross to Boston, a little behind him but he still caught it
Jay short pass to Minor
Jay complete to Tolver over the middle
Jay to Chambers, Jay looks in control now
Jay short pass to Renaldo Works
AJ quick in slightly high but nice catch by Snoop
AJ quick out to Chambers slightly high again
AJ over the middle to Sam Simmons
Swing pass to Minor
AJ overthrows Boston on the deep seam route (notice every time he has inc its because he throws it too high or too low, never too wide)
Fiedler in, out to Simmons
Fiedler atrocious pass to Chambers picked off by Knight
Jay another stinker to Thompson, missed by about 20 yards

Scrimmage #2

Well the first and second stringers hit the showers so now it's Sage's turn

Sage over the middle to Russell
Sage to Russell hit in the backfield
Sage out to Ben Moa
Renaldo Works minimal gain
Sage bad pass broken up by Banks
Sage sacked by Bua on the blitz
Sage handoff to Russell nice moves but no yds
Sage over the middle to Russell
Sage overthrows Works by the sideline
Sage nearly picked by Poole

I couldn't stomach any more of the Ultimate Sage Experience, maybe he should do that full-time because today he didn't belong on a football field.
As far as Fiedler and Feely go, I'd say they were pretty close, I'd give a slight edge to Feeley because he looked better in the scrimmage whereas Jay looked panicked and was being sacked left and right. They both made some great throws, some bad throws, and each one one unbelievably bad throw. BTW, JR Tolver is fading fast, he made like 1 catch all day and is probably 6th on the depth chart right now.

3 Stars

Sam Madison: Best day of camp so far, was real active in all the drills and played phenomenal during the scrimmage, shutting down Boston and returning the pick for the TD

Travis Minor: Several nice runs, nearly broke 2, and good catching out of the backfield. Whoever made the statement that he might not make the team, I'd take that back.

Jeno James: Many, many nice blocks (on every good running play he factored in) and also good pass protection.

Highlight: AJ's 8 plays during the end of the scrimmage, I swear it looked like someone else out there.

Lowlight: Both qbs int's, both terrible throws and decisions

Thx for the update flurry, I really enjoy reading your camp reviews. Keep it coming cause your doing us all a service.

Wish I could be in Miami soaking up the sun watching my Fins instead of stuck up here in rainy Saskatchewan watching no ball at all.

Thanks for the info! I wish we could be a fly on the wall in the locker room. Surly the WRs have an idea as to who should be the starter at QB. It seems they both have a bit of a consistancy issue, but AJ forces the D to respect all levels of passing. Not just the 20 yarders and under.

great report!!!! everything you wanted to know and more

:allhail:

Thanks, from the West Coast, for the update.!

Great report as always!

Wow, can you imagine Feeley after a full TC and some preseason games? It's starting to sound like Rick made the right move. How come Jay gets sacked so much and Feely doesn't I thought Feilder was the scrambler and Feeley wasn't? Or is Feeley simply releasing the ball faster?

As for Feeley's pass nearly getting batted at the line, get use to that. He's not all that good with the throwing lanes. I've watched him on the tape hit his own linemen in the back or helmet a few times, let alone have guys like Daryl Gardener and Grant Wistrom get their hands up on him and bat passes down.

He also has a tendancy to fumble when he tries scrambling for positive yardage. He gets in traffic and doesn't protect the ball like he should.

As for the streakiness, its hard to judge in mini-camps, and one reason he might not look so good is its hard in mini-camp to feel those emotional highs that help you go on a streak. I never said he goes on streaks where he looks unstoppable, I said he goes on streaks where not a single pass is off-target...and he goes on streaks where they all are off target too. We should be use to that, Jay does it like that sometimes as well. Bulger is that way, I remember reports of him (long time ago, while he was still third string) saying that he would go whole practices where he wouldn't throw a single pass off target or would complete every pass. I liked him back then, and I like AJ Feeley now. Lets hope that I'm half as good at this stuff as I sometimes act like I am.

bigmiamifan said:
Great report as always!

Wow, can you imagine Feeley after a full TC and some preseason games? It's starting to sound like Rick made the right move. How come Jay gets sacked so much and Feely doesn't I thought Feilder was the scrambler and Feeley wasn't? Or is Feeley simply releasing the ball faster?

This is the first time Jay has been sacked more than Feeley that I've seen, and yes Feeley was releasing the ball much quicker, Jay looked more hesitant than usual.

I never said he goes on streaks where he looks unstoppable, I said he goes on streaks where not a single pass is off-target...and he goes on streaks where they all are off target too.

Sorry I meant that just phrased it wrong. When he was in that zone every pass was on the money, just meant he looked unstoppable because I felt every time he went back the pass was going to be complete.

You the man finsflurry i thought i was there. I cant wait to move down there just 1 month away from the rest of my Florida life. It sucks up here in patriots jets and giants land. I have a feeling about Feeley that he will deffinatlley be the starter and he will control the offense alot better than Fiedler in the LONG RUN...Jay can be like night and day but thats from the 3rd to the 4th and we cant have that. I have confidence in AJ if he can keep stringing out 8-10 straight completion runs thats phenominal and a great report i am getting amped for the season and hopefully ill be down in time to check camp out !

As long as AJ is throwing the deep ball well, I'm not worried. The shorter stuff will come in time....time for the season!

I hope AJ is the real deal!

Back
Top Bottom