More competition for Wallace

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SCall13, Feb 26, 2013.

1. SCall13

SCall13 Finheaven QB

Ron Rivera has hinted that the Panthers are interested in signing Wallace. While Carolina is cap strapped at the moment, it 's just an example of how many teams we will be going up against should we pursue Wallace. The reason I feel this is Dolphins related is, well, the obvious: he is a hot commodity at our biggest position of need. Thing is, it seems the majority of the posters here seem that the Dolphins landing Wallace is merely a formality. We are going to be getting into some serious bidding wars for his services if we truly want him in Miami. There are multiple teams that will be tripping all over themselves to get him. This said, if we don't get him (or Jennings because of the potential tag) then the masses will begin the annual chant about how we can't bring in talent to Miami and our front office sucks, etc. But if these bidding wars pushes Wallace's price even further through the roof, I, for one, will be glad to back out of the Wallace sweepstakes. We can go younger and cheaper via the draft, see who we can develop with Tannehill and hope for a more "sure thing" WR is next year's draft if we don't see the development the team needs. While there is little question we will be a better football team this coming season, I am careful to keep in mind that everything can't be fixed at once. Granted, every effort should be made, within reason, to solidify our receiving core NOW. The draft doesn't offer a Calvin Johnson by any means this year. But the draft is deep with speed and potential. In all honesty, I'm slightly cooling a bit on Wallace for the simple fact that I don't think he is worth $12-14 mill a season. That's 1/4 of our available cap space on one position. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. I won't be disappointed if we sign him. But I doubt I find myself moping over it if we do not. I guess what I'm getting at is that we shouldn't get our hopes up too high just yet. Our biggest need, best available at that need, may not end up wearing a Dolphins uniform.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...a-hints-carolina-panthers-need-a-top-receiver

2. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Plenty of teams will want him. Us, the browns, patriots, bengals, Vikings... it wont be easy and he will sign for whoever pays him the most. Dont count on signing Wallace folks.

3. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

I am not sold on Wallace being a fit and don't view him as our biggest need. But you are correct that a lot of fans see his signing as a mere formality.

4. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

He's nowhere close to being worth the money he wants. He dropped a ton of passes this yr.

5. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

I wouldnt be upset if we didnt get Wallace, in fact, I really hope we dont get him cause we'd have to over pay him like crazy and he's just not worth it. Plus if we did pay him a ton of money, then that means good bye to the hopes of drafting a WR early in the 2nd or 3rd round and definitely not in the first round.

6. SCall13

SCall13 Finheaven QB

Even if we sign Wallace, I'd be comfortable betting that we'd still draft one in the 2nd round.

7. SunsPhinsfan03

SunsPhinsfan03 A True Fan

Carolina has no money...so no they won't be players for him....AT ALL

8. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

As it stands right now Carolina doesn't even have enough money to sign their draft picks never mind
    a $12 million a year free agent. They better start restructuring all those $10 million a year players on their team
    Johnson,Gross,Gamble,Beason

9. jd13

jd13 Starter

Miami along with Cleveland, Cincy and Indy all have over 40 mil in cap space. Wallace is looking for the most money he can get so I think that will be in Miami. If it wasnt all about the money for Wallace, he would've signed the deal that Pitt than gave to Antonio Brown. I don't think it's a mere formality that he signs in Miami but I like our chances.

10. SQuinn17

Didn't they cut Gamble already? I think even if they did or are planning on doing so, they're fools for paying top dollar for both Stewart and Deangelo.

11. dcnr226

dcnr226 A True Fan Donator

Start negotiations at 10 per year for 5 years..be willing to up to to 12. That should be the ceiling IMO but whoever thinks the draft will deliver us a mike Wallace kindve talent is dreaming. We go that route if we must but TRY AND SIGN WALLACE. $12 million to play and live in Miami..that's not going to be turned down by too many players.

12. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

[​IMG]

Would welcome him enthusiastically but not at any cost that would screw up our cap. Just want us to end up with someone who's a potential game-breaker, even if comes down to it being Miles Austin.

13. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

Six dropped passes = a ton of dropped passes?

14. The Tannehills Have Eyes

The Tannehills Have Eyes A True Fan

6 dropped passes all year. Oh the agony!

Edit: Wow poster above me ninja'd me in just a few seconds

15. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

This. Mike Wallace will be a Dolphin before the clock strikes 12:01am as soon as contract can be signed. We will establish the market March 9th and then outbid them for him by March 12th.

News in the next few weeks will be: Starks tagged, then Mike Wallace signed, then our own will begin to come to agreements shortly thereafter. :)

16. BC26

BC26 Active Member

Ireland will do the same with Wallace as he is our own free agents - other teams will set the market, then Miami will determine if they want to meet the price or not.

17. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

Never believed we'd actually land him. Hell, I don't really have much hope we sign any of the big four and go into the season with a inexpierenced, mediocre WR core to once again blame another 7 win season on. I hope I'm wrong.

18. Miamifin23

Miamifin23 Seasoned Veteran

He'll be a patriot with the cap space Brady opened up

19. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

I guess Brady wanting the Patriots to resign Welker and/or Vollmer has nothing to do with it.

20. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

There is always Greg Jennings.

21. gofins

gofins another MD finfan

Sign Wallace then trade him straight up for Revis.

22. Atila

Atila Atila - the freshmaker. Finheaven VIP

Wallace turned down $10mil/year from the Steelers in hopes to get more in free agency... I'll pass on that.

23. PAfinfan69

PAfinfan69 Active Member

Is he REALLY worth the money he will be getting? That would be a BIG maybe and I would rather use a maybe on 1 or 2 of the guys in this draft which will be MUCH cheaper.

24. SCall13

SCall13 Finheaven QB

I wasn't implying that Carolina WAS going to sign him (but the possibility IS there. Teams do have ways to get under the cap and finagle contracts). I was just using that as as an example of yet ANOTHER team interested in Wallace. I was demonstrating that Wallace is not a sure thing for us.

25. SQuinn17

Tell me why he should be paid 12+ mil a year? Do you not realize he already rejected what Vincent Jackson got with the Bucs? Open negotiations at 10 mil/year? Stop lying to yourself.

26. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

I think it will be a minimum of $12 million per season and a pretty large signing bonus for us to land him. I'll bet he ends up in New England and signs a smaller contract to be able to play with Brady.

27. Perfect23

Perfect23 Banned Hammered

I feel greg jennings would be willing to sign with miami rather than some other team so if we dont land wallace hopefully im correct about jennings

28. Joba-nator

Joba-nator Rookie

I think NE cleared the money for Ed Reed and Welker. I dont see them wanting Wallace all that much. I dont think he's one to drink the kool aid, similar to Brandon Lloyd.

29. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Nobody thought Denver was a player for manning, remember when him to Miami was a formality

30. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

If you ask me Miami's only competition is themselves. Lol you think he wants to live in Cleveland or Indy. Brady cleared cap space for Welker, Reed, and possibly Vollmer and Freeny/ Osi

31. herndonsr

herndonsr Well-Known Member

jeff is not smart enough to sign a good free agent

32. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

:rolleyes: of all the things to criticse Ireland for

33. phinking

phinking A True Fan

You are RIGHT ON. They are so cap strapped they may have to cut Chris Gamble.

34. Digital

Digital Starter

The ideal place for Wallace is Pittsburgh. He knows the system, has a QB able to extend a play and preferring to throw it than run, power running game to free him up, perennial playoff team, and the's already the focal point of their offense. They're offer was more than the 5 year 55M that Vincent Jackson got, and he wasn't even interested in negotiation at that figure.

Unfortunately, the bidding for Mike Wallace BEGINS at 12M per year and goes UP from there. If Miami could be assured of getting him at 12M per year, I'm fairly confident that it would be a done deal. The fact that he could easily get 14M per year is precisely why I don't see him being a Dolphin. The disappointing truth is that every team in the league knows what a weapon he is and how young he is ... and that WR's like that don't usually even hit the FA market.

This silliness where some people think we'll sign both Wallace and Jennings is simply irrational. We will not spend the 22M on 2 WR's that it would take at a minimum to grab both of them. People complaining about Hartline asking for 6.6M probably don't realize that Jennings is asking for 14M (never going to get anything close to that) and Wallace is asking for even more. Realistically, my guess would be in the neighborhood of Hartline at 5.5M, Jennings at 9.5M, Wallace at 13.5M. That's why I see Miami going after Jennings and resigning Hartline. Then drafting 2 WR's with at least 1 of those guys having the speed to play the X, such as Cordarrelle Patterson.

35. SCall13

SCall13 Finheaven QB

You gentlemen who are so focused on Carolina not being able to sign him are apparently missing the real point of the thread which is: it seems the majority of the board had already had Wallace in Miami when there will likely be a lot of competition out there for him. Wallace becoming a Dolphin is not as sure a thing as most seem to think.

36. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

The only thing about that is those guys are unproven and don't always make an immediate huge impact. I'd rather bring in one of the experienced, proven top FA wideouts even if we have to spend a bit of money. This offense needs a major shot in the arm and guys like Wallace, Jennings, Welker or even Bowe would provide that.