More competition for Wallace | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More competition for Wallace

SCall13

Finheaven QB
Reaction score
Ron Rivera has hinted that the Panthers are interested in signing Wallace. While Carolina is cap strapped at the moment, it 's just an example of how many teams we will be going up against should we pursue Wallace. The reason I feel this is Dolphins related is, well, the obvious: he is a hot commodity at our biggest position of need. Thing is, it seems the majority of the posters here seem that the Dolphins landing Wallace is merely a formality. We are going to be getting into some serious bidding wars for his services if we truly want him in Miami. There are multiple teams that will be tripping all over themselves to get him. This said, if we don't get him (or Jennings because of the potential tag) then the masses will begin the annual chant about how we can't bring in talent to Miami and our front office sucks, etc. But if these bidding wars pushes Wallace's price even further through the roof, I, for one, will be glad to back out of the Wallace sweepstakes. We can go younger and cheaper via the draft, see who we can develop with Tannehill and hope for a more "sure thing" WR is next year's draft if we don't see the development the team needs. While there is little question we will be a better football team this coming season, I am careful to keep in mind that everything can't be fixed at once. Granted, every effort should be made, within reason, to solidify our receiving core NOW. The draft doesn't offer a Calvin Johnson by any means this year. But the draft is deep with speed and potential. In all honesty, I'm slightly cooling a bit on Wallace for the simple fact that I don't think he is worth $12-14 mill a season. That's 1/4 of our available cap space on one position. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. I won't be disappointed if we sign him. But I doubt I find myself moping over it if we do not. I guess what I'm getting at is that we shouldn't get our hopes up too high just yet. Our biggest need, best available at that need, may not end up wearing a Dolphins uniform.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...a-hints-carolina-panthers-need-a-top-receiver

Plenty of teams will want him. Us, the browns, patriots, bengals, Vikings... it wont be easy and he will sign for whoever pays him the most. Dont count on signing Wallace folks.

I am not sold on Wallace being a fit and don't view him as our biggest need. But you are correct that a lot of fans see his signing as a mere formality.

I am not sold on Wallace being a fit and don't view him as our biggest need. But you are correct that a lot of fans see his signing as a mere formality.
He's nowhere close to being worth the money he wants. He dropped a ton of passes this yr.

I wouldnt be upset if we didnt get Wallace, in fact, I really hope we dont get him cause we'd have to over pay him like crazy and he's just not worth it. Plus if we did pay him a ton of money, then that means good bye to the hopes of drafting a WR early in the 2nd or 3rd round and definitely not in the first round.

I wouldnt be upset if we didnt get Wallace, in fact, I really hope we dont get him cause we'd have to over pay him like crazy and he's just not worth it. Plus if we did pay him a ton of money, then that means good bye to the hopes of drafting a WR early in the 2nd or 3rd round and definitely not in the first round.

Even if we sign Wallace, I'd be comfortable betting that we'd still draft one in the 2nd round.

Carolina has no money...so no they won't be players for him....AT ALL

As it stands right now Carolina doesn't even have enough money to sign their draft picks never mind
a $12 million a year free agent. They better start restructuring all those $10 million a year players on their team
Johnson,Gross,Gamble,Beason

Miami along with Cleveland, Cincy and Indy all have over 40 mil in cap space. Wallace is looking for the most money he can get so I think that will be in Miami. If it wasnt all about the money for Wallace, he would've signed the deal that Pitt than gave to Antonio Brown. I don't think it's a mere formality that he signs in Miami but I like our chances.

As it stands right now Carolina doesn't even have enough money to sign their draft picks never mind
a $12 million a year free agent. They better start restructuring all those $10 million a year players on their team
Johnson,Gross,Gamble,Beason

Didn't they cut Gamble already? I think even if they did or are planning on doing so, they're fools for paying top dollar for both Stewart and Deangelo.

Start negotiations at 10 per year for 5 years..be willing to up to to 12. That should be the ceiling IMO but whoever thinks the draft will deliver us a mike Wallace kindve talent is dreaming. We go that route if we must but TRY AND SIGN WALLACE. $12 million to play and live in Miami..that's not going to be turned down by too many players.

2nlwy6q-1.jpg

Would welcome him enthusiastically but not at any cost that would screw up our cap. Just want us to end up with someone who's a potential game-breaker, even if comes down to it being Miles Austin.

Start negotiations at 10 per year for 5 years..be willing to up to to 12. That should be the ceiling IMO but whoever thinks the draft will deliver us a mike Wallace kindve talent is dreaming. We go that route if we must but TRY AND SIGN WALLACE. $12 million to play and live in Miami..that's not going to be turned down by too many players.

This. Mike Wallace will be a Dolphin before the clock strikes 12:01am as soon as contract can be signed. We will establish the market March 9th and then outbid them for him by March 12th.

News in the next few weeks will be: Starks tagged, then Mike Wallace signed, then our own will begin to come to agreements shortly thereafter. :)

Back
Top Bottom