More McMichael Overlooking.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More McMichael Overlooking....

DolFinatic718

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
:shakeno: With the departure of Shannon Sharpe from the NFL, who do you see as the most likely big-time producer (catches, yards, TDs) at the TE position? Will Jeremy Shockey continue his ways with a new coach, or will Tony Gonzalez hold it down for the league? Maybe Jason Witten can surprise us with a breakout year. I'm very interested in your thoughts!
--Dave, Dallas

I'd have to say Tony Gonzalez already has picked up the torch for Sharpe and will carry it well. He not only has the tremendous skills, physically and mentally, to do so, but he also is in an aggressive passing offense that constantly looks to put the ball in his hands. And, in Trent Green, Gonzalez has a quarterback who can put it there consistently.

Shockey certainly is capable of being a major force, and I would suspect that Tom Coughlin's new offense with the Giants will include a good share of passes to the tight end. But the big question is which quarterback will be making those throws? Eli Manning, a rookie who undoubtedly will experience his share of growing pains? A veteran such as Kurt Warner who will be trying to revive his career and feeling his way with a new team and a new offense?

We'll have to see what Witten can do with the Cowboys, another team with question marks at quarterback. Although you didn't mention him, Baltimore's Todd Heap certainly belongs on any short list of top tight ends, but, again, you are looking at a work-in-progress quarterback situation there as well. Ditto for Freddie Jones in Arizona.

Obviously, it is far too early to even think that any rookie could have a Sharpe-like career, but I would say that Kellen Winslow's collegiate track record and talent provide every reason to think that is possible.
:shakeno:

http://nfl.com/news/story/7345771

If Feidler's is the QB, I don't think so. I don't remember the exact game, but Randy is beating his man by 5yds. and "ten-yard" Jay elects to lob a bomb to Chambers who is being double covered at the time. :angry:

Mcmichael is a good pass catching TE but he's not on the level of Gonzalez, Shockey & co. He's not being overlooked here, he doesn't belong in this converstaion.

Besides my boy McMicheal to step up this year.....

Look for Alge Crumpler to rebound after a sub-par year when Vick went down. Michael Vick is healthy again and Crump should put up very good #s.

The two TE's who will come from obscurity this year will be Boo Williams of New Orleans and Dwayne Carswell who will take over Shannon Sharpe's position in Denver.

I almost forgot too, Kellen Winslow, Jr. aka KW2 will be the top TE in the league in the near future.

nyjunc said:
Mcmichael is a good pass catching TE but he's not on the level of Gonzalez, Shockey & co. He's not being overlooked here, he doesn't belong in this converstaion.

Stupid post.

Gonzalez is the the main receiving threat and focal point on that team when it comes to passing.

Miami's offense has a run-first philosphy. Take a look at Gonzalez's reception targets in the redzone for 2003 (21) verses McMichael's (12). This points out clearly that Gonzalez is in a position to put up better numbers because the Chief's offense is centered around getting him ball when they are passing.

Superself said:
Stupid post.

Gonzalez is the the main receiving threat and focal point on that team when it comes to passing.

Miami's offense has a run-first philosphy. Take a look at Gonzalez's reception targets in the redzone for 2003 (21) verses McMichael's (12). This points out clearly that Gonzalez is in a position to put up better numbers because the Chief's offense is centered around getting him ball when they are passing.

For his first two seasons with Miami he has put up great numbers, and yes we do have a run-based offense but the cheifs as well have a run offense. Its a little balanced with their passing but they do use the run alot as well (Priest's 27 TD's).If our oline comes together their are many options to get the ball down the field

34RWilliams said:
For his first two seasons with Miami he has put up great numbers, and yes we do have a run-based offense but the cheifs as well have a run offense. Its a little balanced with their passing but they do use the run alot as well (Priest's 27 TD's).If our oline comes together their are many options to get the ball down the field

Yes, but when they do pass, who is the more likely target?

But the breakout performer may be tight end Randy McMichael, who doesn't get the hype of Jeremy Shockey, but is equally as talented.

From the "Phins to Super Bowl" SI article. Somebody showing him love. :)

Superself said:
Yes, but when they do pass, who is the more likely target?

Last year it was obviously Chambers because he was showing the ability to catch alto of balls in game clutchgin situations, and Turner was running his style of run offense. With Forester at helm then I expect to see passes to Konrad,Ricky,Chambers,McMike,Boston and #3 who ever he may be.

nyjunc said:

maybe not gonzalez but definitely shockey, heap, and whatever that dude name is from arizona. Mcmicheal is young and up and coming, you watch and see :cooldude:

Superself said:
Stupid post.

The that would make him less valuable than the other players, right? So if he's not being used as much as the other guys he's not producing as much as them. On pure talent he might be on their level but not production wise.

Here's another comparison- Shockey isn't the main receiving threat on his team either, the Giants have Amani Toomer(who by the way is better than Chambers) and ike Hilliard(who is a good 32) yet Shockey put up outstanding #s as a rook and was on pace for better #s in his 2nd season before injury. Also, in 7 less games Shockey's #s were nearly indentical to randy's.

DolFinatic718 said:
maybe not gonzalez but definitely shockey, heap, and whatever that dude name is from arizona. Mcmicheal is young and up and coming, you watch and see :cooldude:

Not even close. I like McMichael, he is a good player but he is nowhere near Shockey's level(and I hate the Giants more than the Phins so this hurts to say this). Just look at the #s:

-Shockey in 9 games had 48 recs and 535 yds w/ 2 TDs.

-McMichael in 16 games had 49 catches and 598 yds w/ 2 TDs.

In SEVEN more gaes he only had 1 more catch and 63 more yards. he's NOT on Shockey's level.

nyjunc said:
The that would make him less valuable than the other players, right? So if he's not being used as much as the other guys he's not producing as much as them. On pure talent he might be on their level but not production wise.

Here's another comparison- Shockey isn't the main receiving threat on his team either, the Giants have Amani Toomer(who by the way is better than Chambers) and ike Hilliard(who is a good 32) yet Shockey put up outstanding #s as a rook and was on pace for better #s in his 2nd season before injury. Also, in 7 less games Shockey's #s were nearly indentical to randy's.

No it doesn't. Randy would be more effective if they gave the ball to him more. Production wise he would be up there if they would throw the ball to Randy. Like I said, Gonzo is targeted more.

BTW, I dunno if other FinFans caught your slight at Chambers, but you are dead wrong there. Chambers is better than Amani Toomer!

Superself said:
No it doesn't. Randy would be more effective if they gave the ball to him more. Production wise he would be up there if they would throw the ball to Randy. Like I said, Gonzo is targeted more.

BTW, I dunno if other FinFans caught your slight at Chambers, but you are dead wrong there. Chambers is better than Amani Toomer!

he obiously doesn;t know what hes talking about. :)

he IS a jets fan.:roflmao:

Back
Top Bottom