Mostly likely 1st round pick in 2017? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mostly likely 1st round pick in 2017?

Miami is doing better, so it looks like we're going to draft somewhere in the middle now. I say we go DE, still, but no Garrett. Based on what some fine Dolphin draft gurus have said, I can see us going for a Carl Lawson from Auburn or a Charles Harris from Missouri. We definitely need an infusion of speed and youth (and of course talent, always) in our front 7, for sure.

To me, it was always going too be BPA, and after the first 4 games I thought that the player would be Garrett or Fournette, and it would be pick 4,5 or 6.

However, I don't think we will be picking that high after the last 2 games. I am more optimistic of a much later pick.

That said, it has too be defence all the way. Garrett will be long gone, and RB is no longer a real concern (hopefully) so it should be The best defensive player available. Be it DE, OLB, ILB,S or CB. And we have too make a run at defence and possibly trading back a bit.....and also grabbing a decent TE.

But BPA at defence.

If we end up picking in the middle of the draft I'm hoping we end up with Rueben Foster unless a top DE is still on the board. We need to get younger at DE badly, but we have been without an elite MLB for WAY too long. I think Foster fixes that. A lot of this is predicated on CB not being a desperate need which mean we need Howard to come back strong, Lippett continuing to show competency, and Culliver to be both serviceably healthy, and re-signable. In the second maybe look for a seam threat TE as there are a few good TE options in this draft.

If we end up picking in the middle of the draft I'm hoping we end up with Rueben Foster unless a top DE is still on the board. We need to get younger at DE badly, but we have been without an elite MLB for WAY too long. I think Foster fixes that. A lot of this is predicated on CB not being a desperate need which mean we need Howard to come back strong, Lippett continuing to show competency, and Culliver to be both serviceably healthy, and re-signable. In the second maybe look for a seam threat TE as there are a few good TE options in this draft.

My thoughts exactly. Foster and either Howard or Butts would be a great 1-2 selection IMO.

If Miami keeps winning, Foster may be out of reach as I've seen him mocked top 10 quite a bit. Adams, the safety from LSU, would be next on my list with perhaps his teammate Beckwith in the 2nd. McMillan could be another first round target.

Add Harold Landry to the list of names. Outside of Garrett, he may be the best pure pass rusher in the draft. His dip off the edge is reminiscent of Von Miller's. I expect a 3-cone in the 6.70-6.90 range and a sub-4.60 40. In addition to his 11 sacks, he has forced 6 fumbles this season and posted 15 TFL. As a credit to his consistency, he's forced a fumble in 6 out of 9 games this season. He's also been getting some double-team treatment.

He's not a DE in the NFL. He's in the mold of Von Miller and Vic Beasley. So if you're running a 3-4, he's likely a WOLB, and if you're running a 4-3, he's a SOLB, who kicks down to rush the passer when appropriate. Garrett is the clear-cut best Edge prospect in this draft, but it terms of pure ability to turn the corner, Landry may be the best in this class. I realize that this is somewhat unfair to Garrett, given that he's been saddled with injuries.

Amazing how the season has shifted... From thoughts about Garrett, a top 5 pick, to need at CB, to hey we just have few manageable holes to fill... all this without 3 of our most valuable players (Jones Pouncey Tanne) and a gimpy Albert. Clarifies one thing: COACHING is huge in NFL. Of all major sports a top football coach makes all the difference. Baseball managers and basketball coaches haha - honestly half the posters on this board wouldn't cost their baseball teams more than a 5% swing in games.
In Football- it's everything.

Add Harold Landry to the list of names. Outside of Garrett, he may be the best pure pass rusher in the draft. His dip off the edge is reminiscent of Von Miller's. I expect a 3-cone in the 6.70-6.90 range and a sub-4.60 40. In addition to his 11 sacks, he has forced 6 fumbles this season and posted 15 TFL. As a credit to his consistency, he's forced a fumble in 6 out of 9 games this season. He's also been getting some double-team treatment.

He's not a DE in the NFL. He's in the mold of Von Miller and Vic Beasley. So if you're running a 3-4, he's likely a WOLB, and if you're running a 4-3, he's a SOLB, who kicks down to rush the passer when appropriate. Garrett is the clear-cut best Edge prospect in this draft, but it terms of pure ability to turn the corner, Landry may be the best in this class. I realize that this is somewhat unfair to Garrett, given that he's been saddled with injuries.

Well I guess I'd better look at him then. Account me skeptical he's a better pure pass rusher than Charles Harris though.

Well I guess I'd better look at him then. Account me skeptical he's a better pure pass rusher than Charles Harris though.

He put up another nice game today - 1.5 sacks, 1.5 TFL, 2 PD, and an INT. Easily one of the top-5 most underrated players in the country. I like him a little better than Harris, but I see Harris as more of a true DE.

Thing that bothers me about Harris is his penchant for getting locked in to his 1 on 1 and for losing track of the ball. There's an awareness issue there, I think.

Talent as a rusher is awesome though. Still...

Back
Top Bottom