Mussim Muhammed for Pat Surtain | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mussim Muhammed for Pat Surtain

juniorseau55 said:
Does anyone know who Muhhadmad is? When he's healthy is more productive than Chris Chambers and at some point in the league he was considered to be at top 5 wide receiver. He was one of the reasons why Carolina went to the Super Bowl. I believe he lead the league in third down convertion catches.

I don't really disagree with most of what you're saying, but I think that certain parts do need to be gone over:

When he's healthy -- Out of 8 years, MM has played in 16 games just twice. If this is acceptable, I guess Jay's 1 full season our of 4 is also acceptable.

is more productive than Chris Chambers

I think "was" is a better choice of words because MM's best days came in 1999 and 2000. Those are the only years he outperformed CC's 2003 numbers. I also would have to argue that "productive" suggests yards per catch numbers. MM averages 13.1 over his career while CC averages 15.7. MM's average number of TDs a year is 3.5 while CC's is 7. This is the biggest part I disagree about.

I do recall MM being considered top 5 or near top 5 in 2000 and 2001, but he didn't live up to that billing in any year.

In the end, it seems you're giving MM the respect you accuse some of us giving Randy McMichael. At least we're doing it for a player on our favorite team...

Gonzo said:
If any of this suggested trades happened, it would be the end of me.

microwave.gif

You wouldn't take a 1st and a player who could contribute (or an additional pick) for Pat even if it meant we could sign AO, CC, and RM?

ok in the thread it says mussim but its muhsin k :D got that off my chest, and Miami would be the dumbest dum of neanderthals ever if the even put this into thought

Jimmy James said:
I don't really disagree with most of what you're saying, but I think that certain parts do need to be gone over:

When he's healthy -- Out of 8 years, MM has played in 16 games just twice. If this is acceptable, I guess Jay's 1 full season our of 4 is also acceptable.

is more productive than Chris Chambers

I think "was" is a better choice of words because MM's best days came in 1999 and 2000. Those are the only years he outperformed CC's 2003 numbers. I also would have to argue that "productive" suggests yards per catch numbers. MM averages 13.1 over his career while CC averages 15.7. MM's average number of TDs a year is 3.5 while CC's is 7. This is the biggest part I disagree about.

I do recall MM being considered top 5 or near top 5 in 2000 and 2001, but he didn't live up to that billing in any year.

In the end, it seems you're giving MM the respect you accuse some of us giving Randy McMichael. At least we're doing it for a player on our favorite team...

No one can step back in the top if they don't overcome injuries. However he had solid games last year and was one of the reasons that his team went to the Super Bowl. Chambers has yet to have a stride of games where he can run consistent routes and play consistent overall. His ball hardly comes to his direction because of his lack or Route Running. He is a good receiver but he needs to improve. He's been our main receiver for 3 seasons already.

I am stating the facts about mussin muhammad, I can count the posters in here who know who he is without looking him up in google.com or the internet. I seen this guy play constantly and I always liked him, he's had awful injuries thats all. People in here would go as far as saying randy is the best tight end in the league and he's not. His blocking has been mediocre and isn't consistent by it. Usually outpowered by linebackers and defensive backs on the line. Overall, MM runs his routes better and puts himself in position to grab the ball and explode and make yardage. Too bad that the panthers inconsistency at quarterback haven't helped his career much but he's still a threat for any defense to cover. He can get those third down conversions. He can catch the deep ball well.

juniorseau55 said:
I am stating the facts about mussin muhammad, I can count the posters in here who know who he is without looking him up in google.com or the internet.

I'm definitely one of the guys you can count. That's one reason why I don't totally disagree. It's sad that things have turned this way for him. I'm definitely intrigued by the thought that he could be receiver #3 on this team. I just think it ludicrous to suggest that Muhammad is at this point a superior receiver to Chambers. That seems to be what you're suggesting. Muhammad couldn't outperform Steve Smith last year. Are you also putting him ahead of #84?

You might be right that if Muhammad has a sudden Isaac Bruce-like return to good health, he could be a major force. I just don't see how anybody could bank on that happening to MM. I would just like maybe 40 catches and 500 yards out of him if he comes here.

He shoudl be no less than a number 2 option in another team. Steve Smith is an Emerging young receiver who has not been as unfortunate as mm. Steve Smith will develop into one of the best in the coming years. He's on his way after making those awesome catches during the playoffs.

Where do you think MM could be a #2 guy? Baltimore and San Francisco come to mind, but it's tough to think of a good situation for him beyond those places. That suggests to me that MM may well have to settle for being a #3 guy as a June cap casualty...

Jimmy James said:
You wouldn't take a 1st and a player who could contribute (or an additional pick) for Pat even if it meant we could sign AO, CC, and RM?

Missed that trade idea, but no, I wouldn't. Madison, yes, but not Surtain, especially if the additional player was going to be the #3 WR. When does RM's contract expire?

Still wouldn't do it. I would sacrifice AO to keep Surtain. I don't think they will have a problem resigning CC and RM. I just don't want to see our secondary depleted to (possibly) improve our WR corps.

I can respect the love for our secondary, and I think that would be my preference as well. At the same time, I can understand that there could be arguments that our secondary won't be able to play the same way next year, that we won't be able to re-sign PS because he wants top dollar, because he does have knee questions, and that secondary is a real strength due to the way this offseason unfolded.

What would you want to see the team get if they felt they needed to move Pat?

Well, if we are going to begin to dismantle our strength, it might as well be done to improve our weakeness. Either a top tier LT or QB. I wouldn't expect a trade on the scale of the Bailey-Portis trade, but pretty dang close, especially with how Surtain had more interceptions and defended passes than Bailey (though not as many tackles). Also, who will fill his spot? Howard? He had two decent seasons (actually, 2002 was a little better than last year). As much as I like Poole, he is still a rookie and therefore a risk.

The only problem I see with a trade like that is that a top LT or QB would want to get paid just as much as Pat would if not more. I would have to think that cap relief would have to be a big motivation for any trade.

There are other ways of dealing with the cap that don't include dismantling the team. I would much rather see AO or Madison go before Surtain if that was the only way. Surtain is one of the best at his position. I don't see the point in clearing up cap space by getting rid of one of our best and picking up extra mediocre filler players.

I can respect that stance, particularly when the issue is Surtain for MM.

I don't think Sam can go anywhere any time soon, though. His new deal gives him a pretty big amount of job security for a while, I think.

Back
Top Bottom