My take on the Vontae Davis trade | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My take on the Vontae Davis trade

with al due respect, Ireland really only had 2 drafts to call his own, we all know that the first 2 or 3 were run by Parcels, so lets take a look at what Ireland has done so far;

2010- 1st - odrick - starter
2nd - misi - starter
3rd - jerry - questionable - but talented
5th - carroll- starter
5th - jones - stater

2011 - 1st - pouncy - starter
2nd - thomas - 2nd sting rb
4th - gates - jury still out
6th - clay - big time potential

2012 - 1st - Tannehill - starting qb
2nd - martin - starter
3rd - vernon - big time potential
3rd - egnew - needs to screw head on right but potential is there
4th - miller - major contributer

so as i look at it Ireland has done a hell of good job and i think he'll continue to do a good job i think in time we'll be up there with the big boys of the NFL.

I guess u and me have a different opinion on "hell of a good job". That list looks like a bunch of mediocre to bad players to me and just because u put starter next to their name doesnt make them good. In those three years of drafting his best pick so far was a center who was drafted in the teens. If you think those players constitute a "hell of a job" my guess is that no matter who they drafted you would somehow justify it in order to defend Ireland.

My take on OP starting own thread for a post that easily could have been added to an existing topic: stop.

I don't like trading a 24 year-old starting #1 corner, gifted athlete, best cb on the team for 3 years.

No doubting Vontae's talent and skill level, but after 3 seasons and the beginning of his 4th, he still hadn't shown the maturity level and professionalism needed to harness his enormous potential into consistency. It's 1 thing to show flashes, but another to do it every day. Vontae will always be an enigma due to his lazy attitude towards the sport. He just doesn't seem to get it. He is the kind of player, who seems to have several instances per season that cause him to get into a coaches dog house. As a fan you tend to want to over look his short coming off the field in hopes that he plays masterfully on the field. To me Vontae Davis wasn't worth the risk anymore. IF he plays masterfully in Indy, than so be it and congratulations to Chuck Pagano to be able to get Vontae straightened out. I feel as an organization you sometimes need to take a stand whether it be about a player or coach or both. It's apparent now, that Ross wants to rid himself of potential headaches within the organization. There was no way that Miami would have been able to secure a player of equal talent in return or a higher draft pick. I'm not a Colts fan and think they over paid for a player, who STILL HASN'T lived up to his potential. Miami IMHO got lucky in receiving that 2nd round pick. Let Davis be Davis!!! And Let Coyle do is thing with Miami's secondary. I'm not a fan of losing Vontae, hell I even bought his jersey, but I'm no dummy, he wasn't cutting here in Miami. Too many question marks remain with Vontae.

I feel very encouraged by Philibin as well. He's demanding that his players do it the right way and if they don't they are gone. It means in the future we are going to be putting a high emphasis on character and work ethic in bringing players to Miami. In the short-run, though, the Dolphins look like a 2-5 win team and maybe that isn't all bad. A top 5 pick in next years' draft and the ammunition to trade up for an elite prospect if Ireland takes that route. I also agree with you on Davis. I thought he had the potential to be an elite player and he did flash that at times. Maybe this is what he needs to realize his full potential.

we took Davis with 25th pick we are probably getting pick 35-38 next year plus a sixth in return for a 4th yr guy who doesnt fit our system or play to his potential and is immature! Great trade send Dansby out next who has mysterious leg injury since his meeting with Philbin get on board or get out, i think org. is finally headed in right direction!

we took Davis with 25th pick we are probably getting pick 35-38 next year plus a sixth in return for a 4th yr guy who doesnt fit our system or play to his potential and is immature! Great trade send Dansby out next who has mysterious leg injury since his meeting with Philbin get on board or get out, i think org. is finally headed in right direction!

This. We got to test drive Vonte for 3 years and got a pick in return that will most likely be only about 10 spots lower + a 6th. That isn't bad. Especially when you consider that he has shown up to work drunk and out of shape. If we have to endure another losing season, I would rather clean out all the bad apples before they spoil all the new apples.

What I don't get is why fans continue to hold Vontae to the 1st round pick standard... He was picked. He was a part of the team. He was a good player. Who cares if he was picked in the 1st round or 7th? He filled a need. And now we traded him for a 2nd round pick. I will say, yes, that's good value. But now we have a pick and now we have to HOPE that the pick will prove to be more valuable than keeping Vontae. That's what it comes down to. I don't like our chances. Not with Ireland making the calls. You can pretty much count the impact players that Ireland selected in the draft on one hand. Vontae was one of them. I don't know how you guys can be so optimistic that the player we select will be as valuable as Vontae. Because that's the only factor that truly says whether this trade is good or bad. And judging from Ireland's draft history, I have doubts that the pick will work out that way.

Why does everybody expect Vontae to be like Vernon?

He wont be. Vonate has been the same since College. Nothing special.

Because Vernon acted the same way before Singletary got him to pull his head out of his ass. Now he's the best TE in the league.

my take is a head coach needs to learn to work with players he doesnt mesh with attitude wise instead of shipping them out

trading our most talented players on offense and defense for in Marshall's case mediocre picks and in this case 1 decent pick does not work for me. Have your mantra Philbin, but f'n learn to work with talent instead of just shipping it out.

Crappy move if you want to win this year or the next. Davis was our best cover corner! Davis did not make enough plays because Qb's preferred picking on smith. Mark my words the dolphins will get lit up in the secondary for the next few years.

Back
Top Bottom