Need a new punter | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Need a new punter

To save money. I think Armando Salguero had an article about this? Someone in the Dolphins FO was crowing about how they were going to save something like $500,000 yearly with Haack's cheap contract.

Great job, guys.

Because we are competing with the Browns and not the Patriots. This is a piece of garbage organization, front office, coaching staff, and football team.

All this talk about the offense (rightfully so), but this is another thing Miami truly screwed up on.

This was a sooooooo Dolphins/Tbaum type of move honestly. Cut a good right footed punter because you hear Belichik likes a left footed punter. While not realizing the other 52 guys in your roster are no where near Patriot level.

Because it gave us enough cap savings to sign a 6-inch meatball sub from Subway?

Money.

We need every penny we can to re-sign our core players like Jarvis Landry. I'm shocked Denny still has a job as our longsnapper, because frankly, at his age, the veteran minimum makes him too expensive for the position.

People looking at spending money on Cutler need to recognize that there are zero coaches in this league that would have stood pat with Matt Moore and no backup. None. That money was spent the moment Tannehill re-injured his knee. The only question was who it would have been spent on. We typically carry cap space over every year ... for precisely this type of situation. THIS was that rainy day, and we followed our contingency plan. But hey, punters rarely get paid a lot.

There are two types of teams. One type wants to find a guy and have consistency at the position. When you find a specialty guy like K Morten Anderson he can make some decent money staying at one place for a long time. Particularly if you are a fan favorite. The other type of team is the one who wants to save money at the specialty positions ... and they tend to churn punters and kickers a lot, and rarely have success in special teams for very long. We are the latter. We save our pennies for free agency, and then overpay for FA's. Not how I would do it, but that's the Dolphins way at the moment.

I remember the days were when we were terrible but at least we could brag about how great our punter was. We can't even do that anymore.

One out of how many? You obviously missed he point.
Mark Buehrle, Chris Capuano, Bruce Chen, Ted Lilly, Paul Maholm, Jamie Moyer, Jason Vargas, and Barry Zito.

MLB is famous for having soft tossing left handed pitchers

Except the kid is clearly inferior to Darr and we obviously need a pro bowl punter with this offense.

I'm guessing they didn't think he was inferior when the move was made. It's becoming evident in the games though that he's having issues.

MLB coaches prefer left handed pitchers, but they don't start a guy that throws 70mph because he is a lefty.

Correct. However, staying with your example, the guy was throwing high 80's and low 90's in spring training and has all of a sudden lost his velocity once the games counted.

Mark Buehrle, Chris Capuano, Bruce Chen, Ted Lilly, Paul Maholm, Jamie Moyer, Jason Vargas, and Barry Zito.

MLB is famous for having soft tossing left handed pitchers

The odds are stacked against a soft tossing lefty. But, since you continue to miss the point I will help you. When you are Bill Belichik and have won 5 Superbowls on a team that averages 11 wins a year you can worry about the ball spinning off a punters foot. When you are smile Tannebuam incharge of a roster of a very mediocre team you don't cut a guy whose booming punts flipped the field and were responsible for several of your wins last year. Not for 250k cap savings, if you need to cut that guy to save 250k you failed.

I'm guessing they didn't think he was inferior when the move was made. It's becoming evident in the games though that he's having issues.

Correct. However, staying with your example, the guy was throwing high 80's and low 90's in spring training and has all of a sudden lost his velocity once the games counted.

Which still would have been like cutting Randy Johnson in his prime. It was just a dumb move for minimal savings.

The odds are stacked against a soft tossing lefty. But, since you continue to miss the point I will help you. When you are Bill Belichik and have won 5 Superbowls on a team that averages 11 wins a year you can worry about the ball spinning off a punters foot. When you are smile Tannebuam incharge of a roster of a very mediocre team you don't cut a guy whose booming punts flipped the field and were responsible for several of your wins last year. Not for 250k cap savings, if you need to cut that guy to save 250k you failed.

Oh I think Tannebuam is terrible and that we need to remove that cancer ASAP and that cutting Darr for this guy was a bad move. Just that your analogy was eh

Back
Top Bottom