New Dolphin TE Ben MOA - Gangster turned Football Player | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New Dolphin TE Ben MOA - Gangster turned Football Player

I ask those questions to that affect because I remember an article about Spielman being the GM and one of the Miami players saying something like this..

"The type of players that will be brought in will be the same. I don't see Spielman changing the character of this team...."

Something like that.. Not a direct quote. The article was in February maybe March.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont give a squat what the guy did in the past he has a fresh start here.

I saw that segment on ESPN or on HBO...

From what I can gather, he was a knuckle head in the past. But a few near death experiences, his wife threattening to leave him and the birth of his first son, helped change his life around. He subsequently changed his name in honor of his grandfather which signified a new beginning.

So FWIW, I pretty sure RS did his research with his UTah coaches to get the scoop on him. nonetheless, everyone deserves a second chance especially if they've showed constant change and improvement for a period of time.

btw, not for nothing, maybe he'll end up being camp fodder, however he fits that gritty football player bill that has been the underlying theme of the dolphin draft, so I wouldn't be suprised if he makes the roster.

RUDEbyallMEANS said:
Apparently the character issue is of no importance to Spielman??

:rolleyes:

Cmon dude. Give that tired mess a rest. These aren't guys who are IN trouble. They are guys who have been in trouble in the past but have become solid citizens.

I'm sure you've never done anything wrong in your life. Heh, if everyone here opened up their vaults and let out their pasts, I'm sure you'd be monumentally suprised at what you'd read.

Because you need camp bodies. And you always want to carry three. Plus, one of them (John Jones) is a special teams ace from Baltimore.

Guys, this guy is not gonna make our team. We'll carry 4 TE'S and we have Randy, Lee,Jones and Perry. he's just another body for camp but it'd be a malor surprise if we let go of the other to make room for him.

Ozzy rules!!

I heard Moa has terrible table manners and sometimes chews with his mouth open and even talks with food in his mouth. He’s also been known to put his elbows on the table. If I were you though I wouldn’t call it to his attention in public because he might snap and pop a cap in you’re azz.:)

We got Moa?...YES!!!Go Moa its yo birthday we gonna pawty like its yo birthday...we picked up 50 cent as our TE haha hell yes!

Muck said:
:rolleyes:
Cmon dude. Give that tired mess a rest. These aren't guys who are IN trouble. They are guys who have been in trouble in the past but have become solid citizens.

I'm sure you've never done anything wrong in your life. Heh, if everyone here opened up their vaults and let out their pasts, I'm sure you'd be monumentally suprised at what you'd read.

Tired mess?? I never heard of anyone posting about Miami's team character changing or anything of that sort. If I'm not mistaken, this may be the first one.

You're going way off left field. This was an interesting question (I thought) for the sake of conversation. If you get defensive, that is your problem, not mine.

Ever since the Cecil Collins embarassment with Jimmy Johnson, high character players were the Maimi focus as well as high talent. Miami did not want to risk giving players money only to have it lost because of a players inability to stay out of trouble in the streets.

Will Poole had some character issues as well as Moa as well as Boston. Spielman had them brought in.

You can make a case for Poole and Boston because both have excellent talent. But Moa?? Of course there's no effect on Miami if Moa goes ahead and pops a cap on someone else since he was an undrafted free agent, but what about the players on Miami right now who said that spielman "would not change the character of the team" even though he is now in charge of the draft and free agent process?

Wouldn't you see it as a desperate attempt at bringing in talent?

Patriots and Eagles have won consistently without "gang bangers".

It was an interesting question, I thought.

FinaciousOne said:
I heard Moa has terrible table manners and sometimes chews with his mouth open and even talks with food in his mouth. He’s also been known to put his elbows on the table. If I were you though I wouldn’t call it to his attention in public because he might snap and pop a cap in you’re azz.:)

I heard he likes to run with sicssors in his hand. :shakeno:

Danny said:
Guys, this guy is not gonna make our team. We'll carry 4 TE'S and we have Randy, Lee,Jones and Perry. he's just another body for camp but it'd be a malor surprise if we let go of the other to make room for him.

Ozzy rules!!

Moa I believe will be moved to FB from what I've read.
He'll crack heads like Rosevelt Potts use to.

Last edited by a moderator:
RUDEbyallMEANS said:
Tired mess?? I never heard of anyone posting about Miami's team character changing or anything of that sort. If I'm not mistaken, this may be the first one.

Exactly. And signing a camp body who turned his life around and a guy who also owned up to a mistake doesn't change that fact.

You're going way off left field. This was an interesting question (I thought) for the sake of conversation. If you get defensive, that is your problem, not mine.

On the contrary, I thought your initial post was what was off in left field. The whole knee-jerk, black-and-white reaction you posted. I just thought it was "jump-to-conclusions" comment, rhetorical in nature.

And why would I get defensive?? That's a kinda crappy assumption to make.

Anyway, that's how it read. I apologize if I misinterperated what you meant.

Patriots and Eagles have won consistently without "gang bangers".

This is what I take issue with. You're making it sound as if Speilman will bring in anyone regardless of baggage. I simply disagree. He's brought in two guys with PASTS. Guys who haven't been in trouble in a long time.

I just don't agree the "unforgiven" stance you seem to have taken. That if a guy makes a mistake, he's done. That's why I used all of us as an example.

Were you not a Bryan Cox fan?? I sure was. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong Muck, but this has had wayyyyyy more than one mistake to own up to.

If I have this timeline wrong, please someone tell me.

He grows up in a rough neighborhood, joins a gang because that's what he sees and knows. He is a young kid who steals cars, deals drugs, and is generally just a bad person. Gets out of his juve term and then participates in a drive by shooting and kills a rival gang member. (notice he has taken a human life) Gets out of jail after three years. (this is chance number two)

He finds that he is a big kid with some athletic ability and a coach gets him to play ball and try to move away from of his bad habits of the past. (This is chance number three btw)

He goes to college on an athletic scholarship and plays football. While alone in the lockerroom he falls to temptation and steals a wallet. Gets caught and is kicked off the team. He continues to try football and attends a junior college (chance number four) where he meets a young lady he loves and has a child. This young lady tries to leave him a few times due to him not giving up gang activities and the like.

He keeps his nose clean for a period and convinces his coaches there to take him back. His wife comes back from home where she had once left him. (chance number five) While back at Utah, or perhaps this is still at the junior college.

He has a friend tell him that there is trouble with a rival gang. I ask this question, if he has given up gang activities why is another gang a rival? He should have no rival or interest in such activities by now right? While going to this altercation he is shot and almost killed.

He is once again allowed back to the football field. (chance number six)

He now has another chance to make a nice living in teh NFL.(chance number seven)

If any of this is incorrect please let me know. It seems to me we're not talking of a guy getting a second chance like Will Poole who had one incident.

We're talking about a guy who has about a zillion chances to get and he just hasn't.

Will Poole nor Boston have taken someone's life either.

I will not judge due to it not being my place, but I do take umberage that someone would incinuate he hasn't had second chances.

Back
Top Bottom