New Dolphin TE Ben MOA - Gangster turned Football Player | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New Dolphin TE Ben MOA - Gangster turned Football Player

Muck, I never pretended to be an expert on the guy.

I simply was passing on some things I've read about him. I have seen the ESPN interview and a student newspaper did a write-up on him. (I wouldn't doubt if they got alot of there info from the ESPN clip)

I have stated many times it's not my place to judge him. I do however the right to not want to make the team.

If I'm wrong for that, I guess it's just how I feel.

The kid has a past, but at least if his wife wears the pants in the family we won't have to hear about him getting into a fight at a strip club...his wife would kick his a$$...;o)

PhinPhan1227 said:
RUDEbyallMEANS said:
Patriots and Eagles have won consistently without "gang bangers".

QUOTE]

I seem to remember a Pats player being stopped at the border with a bag full of X.
...and that same player putting himself above the law recently....

I've been reading repeated statements in this and other threads to the effect that Ben Moa killed someone.

Did he?

I've seen the words "murderer" and "killed" tossed all about here, and yet an advanced google search on "Ben Moa" with ANY of the words kill, killed, murder, murderer, manslaughter and died reveals nothing to the effect that he killed someone.

Again, this may present a distinction without a difference, but it would be nice to know what the reality is.

Give it a rest guys...........rick is not stupid.....he might just be a punching bag for our boys........or he might be part of the master plan.

And who cares how he talks during an interview........I could care less if he speaks at all.....just as long as he can play. And im sure if rick even smells one of his farts the wrong way he will kick him to the curb.

As a member of the Utah community in which Ben Moa grew up, I feel it is my duty and obligation to provide my own insight and some correction to what I feel is a major misinterpretation concerning Ben Moa's character and past. Please forgive me, as this will probably be a rather lengthy message.

First off... thank you Muck for giving him the benefit of the doubt.

PhinsmissedFG said:
Correct me if I'm wrong Muck, but this has had wayyyyyy more than one mistake to own up to.

If I have this timeline wrong, please someone tell me.

I will be happy to correct you, since you seem to be very wrong.

PhinsmissedFG said:
He grows up in a rough neighborhood, joins a gang because that's what he sees and knows. He is a young kid who steals cars, deals drugs, and is generally just a bad person. Gets out of his juve term and then participates in a drive by shooting and kills a rival gang member. (notice he has taken a human life) Gets out of jail after three years. (this is chance number two)

While I do agree with you on the fact that Ben Moa had an incredibly difficult and trying beginning to his life and he participated in criminal activities which are appalling to say the least during that time, you have completely screwed up the timeline already at the beginning.

Ben Moa, formerly known as Ben Allison (he didn't change his name until after the wallet stealing incident) grew up from a broken home without a father in a bad neighborhood. The youth of his family had always been entrenched within the gang lifestyle which is very difficult to escape from. This cycle originally began where he grew up in San Bernardino, CA.

At the age of 12 years old, Ben was in a freshly stolen car with some fellow gang members when a rival gang drove up next to them and opened fire. Ben returned fire hitting one of the rival gang members in the groin. He does not kill the rival gang member which he shot.

Following this incident, he is shuffled off through the juvenile delinquent beauracracy in an effort by the State of Utah to correct his behavoir. The shooting incident took place before corrective action... not after. He did not go to jail.

During his time spent within the various juvenile delinquent facilities, Ben makes the acquaintance of a special and caring man who personally takes him in and cares for him as one of his own children. He starts to turn his life around.

PhinsmissedFG said:
He finds that he is a big kid with some athletic ability and a coach gets him to play ball and try to move away from of his bad habits of the past. (This is chance number three btw)

No... he is still on his second chance after juvenile dentention and the previous gang lifestyle which he has been removed from.

PhinsmissedFG said:
He goes to college on an athletic scholarship and plays football. While alone in the lockerroom he falls to temptation and steals a wallet. Gets caught and is kicked off the team. He continues to try football and attends a junior college (chance number four) where he meets a young lady he loves and has a child. This young lady tries to leave him a few times due to him not giving up gang activities and the like.

I'll cover the wallet part in a moment, per the actual chronological order that you seem to want.

Ben improves his grades and continues to be a force on the football field. He meets a young lady at the University of Utah whom he has a great deal of interest in. They get married.

In August of 2000, Ben and his wife are attenting a party which is a combination of a wedding reception and a family reunion. He is inside dancing with his wife and enjoying the festivities. His cousins enter and inform him that a rival gang is outside and that violence might shortly ensue. I would think his cousins have a minor right to attend their own family reunion, although due to their gang affilitation it ends up resulting in some rather negative consequences.

Ben goes outside and simply tries to break things up, ready to fight to defend his family or wife if necessary. He tries to talk things out and get the other gang to leave. He gets shot without doing anything other than trying to talk, and is taken via helicopter to a local hospital. In no way is this his fault.

To recap, he was shot in August of 2000 through no fault of his own. Right before the beginning of the football season. He is unable to practice with the team, and almost kills himself by trying to play catch a week or two after the accident. He breaks open the wound and has to be rushed back to the hospital again.

He is unable to practice or play football, which at this point has become a major force in his motivation to keep his life straight. He sinks into depression.

3 months after getting shot through no fault of his own, he is hanging out in the team locker room. He sees a wallet lying around filled with money, and he takes it.

I do not condone his actions here, and this is where I feel he has blown his second chance. Coach McBride suspends him from football for a year.

Ben and his now wife Christina move to Modesto, CA. where Christina grew up. He enrolls in a local junior college there. He also legally changes his last name from Allison (the name of his nonexistant father) to Moa, the last name of his grandfather who is part of his inspiration. He and his wife have their first child.

PhinsmissedFG said:
He keeps his nose clean for a period and convinces his coaches there to take him back. His wife comes back from home where she had once left him. (chance number five) While back at Utah, or perhaps this is still at the junior college.

His wife never left him.

PhinsmissedFG said:
He has a friend tell him that there is trouble with a rival gang. I ask this question, if he has given up gang activities why is another gang a rival? He should have no rival or interest in such activities by now right? While going to this altercation he is shot and almost killed.

I covered this above, but I want to reiterate a point here. He didn't go to the altercation. The altercation came to him, and he was thrust in the middle of it. He attempted to defend his family and wife by peacefully trying to divert the conflict through negotiation. He is shot. This incident should have absolutely no negative affect upon your opinion. It is not his fault.

PhinsmissedFG said:
He is once again allowed back to the football field. (chance number six)

Chance number three. Not six... three.

PhinsmissedFG said:
He now has another chance to make a nice living in teh NFL.(chance number seven)

When did he blow chance number three? Why is his chance at the NFL a new chance rather than a continuation of the effort that he has put into turning his life around?

PhinsmissedFG said:
If any of this is incorrect please let me know. It seems to me we're not talking of a guy getting a second chance like Will Poole who had one incident.

We're talking about a guy who has about a zillion chances to get and he just hasn't.

The count is at three. Not a zillion.

PhinsmissedFG said:
Will Poole nor Boston have taken someone's life either.

Neither has Ben Moa.

PhinsmissedFG said:
I will not judge due to it not being my place, but I do take umberage that someone would incinuate he hasn't had second chances.

While I agree that Ben Moa has had more than one chance to turn his life around, I also find myself amazed at the adversity and hardship that he has overcome. Yes... he made mistakes. He has also atoned for those mistakes and is considered a model citizen who is an assett to his community.

I did not see the ESPN interview that many here have referred to. From what I've read, he sounded about as sharp as a sack of wet mice. Let me pose a question. What does his intelligence have to do with his actions?

Absolutely nothing.

While he may not be incredibly smart, and he may have made some wrong decisions in the past, he has paid his dues. That is over and done with. His criminal activities ceased prior to his releast from the juvenile detention facilities here.

I admire Ben Moa for his determination and committment to overcome the life that was placed before him. I doubt I could have done it had life thrust me into the same circumstances.

Good luck Ben. If you honestly deserve it, I hope you make the team. I have no doubt concerning your character.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Post in clearing things up.

Isn't someones character determined by what that person did in his past?

I can understand if someone believes he can turn around, but to say "I have no doubt concerning your character" is just an opinion unless YOU know him personally.

Do you know him personally? Relation?

My stance on this subject was more about this teams' character establishment after the Cecil Collins incident and the addition of a guy like Ben Moa to a bunch of high character players and what their thoughts would be.

Interesting Post.

One player on Utah said that although Moa wasn't an actual captain, everybody in the lockerroom looked to him as one. This coming from the same locker room where he stole a wallet is a HUGE indication that the guy has character, if you ask me.

Listen, it is no big deal. He is an UDFA. The first sign of trouble he is gone and we forget about him. He keeps quiet and makes plays, hustles, etc. he makes the team. Still, the first sign of trouble he is gone.

There is ZERO risk in this move. If he seems like a bad apple in warmups for the first practice of training camp, he gets cut. It is that simple. I don't see why anybody is making a big deal of this. He is so inconsequential it is amazing a 4 page thread has been created on the guy.

He has good potential and NO risk.

I just typed a LONG reply to your post SMAD but it somehow did not go through as it stalled when going to the next page after I clicked submit.

This sucks, but I'll shorten it this time.

The "no risk" part of bringing in Moa is not what I'm interested in. I'm interested in the fact that a player with a "troubled past" such as Ben Moa is being brought in as a potential upgrade for this Miami franchise.

Since the Cecil Collins debacle, the Miami FO as well as Wannstedt have been more disciplined with the type of players they bring in to represent the franchise. An example would be going through the last 3 years of drafts and reading profiles on them in which most of them are said to be "high character" players. This franchise had set a standard to get away from a situation like Cecil Collins and selecting the type of players they bring in was the way to do it.

You could go on to say how Wannstedts’ drafts have been inadequate and this and that which is besides the point I'm making, but the matter of the fact here is that Spielman has brought in a player (Ben Moa) that would not of had a glimpse at him from the Dolphins if Wannstedt was in charge of the draft.

Has Spielman linked Wannstedt failures in the draft to selecting high character players all the time in the draft??

When the GM duties were stripped from Wannstedt and handed to Spielman, a Miami Dolphin player (chose to be anonymous) was on record as saying, "It really will not make a difference because the character of players being brought in will be the same" (Not in those exact words but the meaning the same)

What will that anonymous player think when he sees a character like Ben Moa, with what he has been through or whatever, is being brought in to potentially represent the Miami Dolphins franchise on Sundays??

That is what I find interesting and when I read Ben Moa was brought in, it for some reason triggered that article where I remembered an anonymous player saying what I wrote above.

Is Spielman being forced by fans and by the expectations to bring in very talented player regardless of the character he has with him in order to win?? Is ruining the integrity of the team worth that price??

These are the thought I have on this Ben Moa signing. They may be extreme to some but I found this very interesting.

I had more to say but forgot some of it.

Thoughts welcome.

I just want to point out, that in his and his wife's own admission in an interview, she left him, and told him to come back when he "grew up", or something very similar to that extent (been a long time, can't quote). but it WAS made clear that she gave him an ultimatum, one which he didnt step up to right way. He was MIA for a period of time, then showed up saying he wanted to be a man, etc. And built it up from there.

Like I said, the guy has a troubled past. It's easy to side with a guy with whom you have ties, but these things need to be thought about.I personally don't think he'll make the team, i wish the best for him, but I don't really want him here for obvious reasons. He's struggled through life and that's sad, but unless he's TOTALLY clean, something that I doubt from life experience, I don't want him in Miami. H'es probably camp fodder, and just here as a tackeling dummy, but we'll see. It's probably inconsequencial, but still somethign that should be discussed.

Sknight24 said:
How can you not like Eddie Moore he is a linebacker that writes poetry, plus he is a team player.

But he fights like a girl.

:shakeno:

Surferosa said:
Click here for the complete article as well as pictures of all his gunshot wounds. As I said in an earlier thread, ESPN did a 7 minute segment on him earlier this year, on how he turned his life around.

http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Nov/11202003/sports/sports.asp

Ben Moa remembers driving a stolen car. And steering a reckless life. As he and his cousins moved through a Glendale neighborhood in their freshly acquired ride, a car full of gangsters with bad intentions rolled up on them, their guns firing. Moa squeezed off six shots, making one of his rivals pay with a slug to the groin.

He then accelerated onto a Salt Lake City freeway, where, a few minutes later, he and his boys were spotted by an undercover cop who pulled them over and slowly walked toward the car.

Somebody said, "Man, we got busted."

"No, we didn't," said Moa, who punched the throttle, weaving through traffic, running stop signs, hitting speeds of up to 100 mph through residential areas, before slamming the car into a concrete barrier in a parking lot near Franklin Covey Field, and running for a place to hide, all with law enforcement in hot pursuit.

Moa was a kid. Not so little, but he was 12.

What a heartwarming story!
Cecil may have a new cellmate joining him soon. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom