NFL clubs Cowboys, Seahawks, Dolphins, vying for former NRL Star Mailata | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL clubs Cowboys, Seahawks, Dolphins, vying for former NRL Star Mailata

I am a big NRL (National Rugby League) fan (Cronulla Sharks). Australians get excited about NRL players coming over here to make big money, but don't have much idea about the NFL. I will check this guy out further. Some of these boys with Samoan heritage are physically huge (and they're getting bigger every year with better nutrition). Some have feet so wide that they have to have shoes specially made for them, not to mention shirts, pants, etc.
Work off the assumption that this guy is physically very tough from playing rugby league but has zero exposure to the NFL game and its rules. He would never have seen a play book. He is like a big lump of clay that can be moulded - a very big lump of clay with power and athleticism.
......................................................................................
Investigated further from the links above. Jordan Mailata is training at the IMG Academy at Bradenton, FL in preparation for the NFL Draft. He's only 20 years old and played underage rugby league for South Sydney in Australia. He has not played a professional NRL game but was considered a terrific development prospect - the headline above is wrong, he's definitely not an NRL star. He has attracted attention from NFL scouts because he is so big (6'7" or 6'8" listed differently in different reports and 345 lbs). Note, he has dropped 28 kilograms ie 61 lbs from when he came to South Sydney (about 15 months ago), to now as he prepares for the NFL Draft. So he's huge and powerful but getting a lot leaner with the IMG Academy training. They have earmarked him for the O-line because of his size, but with a rugby league background he probably has decent ball catching skills. Considered a late round prospect - some team may draft him and take the time to develop him.

Thanks for the info spike. Maybe a DT in the future? Blocking TE? Who knows

Man playing against boys.

That's really awesome. I have tons of respect for rugby players. Probably the toughest athletes out there. Watching this was fun. His team the whole Time is like were is he, were is he... ok pass him the ball.

Remember he's just 20 years old so literally he was playing against boys in some of those clips. He does look like a good athlete.

That's the problem these players arejust standing in front of him while in the NFL
he'd have "human missiles" ready and able to destroy him.

If you ever got up close you can appreciate the power and destruction
a good safety or linebacker can acheive. It's a whole different experience
than having a rugby player just waiting to get trucked.

I'm not hating on Rugby players I'm just saying
some NFL players are a different breed
I don't agree with this, I think it's the other way around. My coach was a professional rugby player and practised with our team without wearing pads or helmet. And I mean full on. He destroyed us. He used to take us to rugby games to show toughness in a sport. I'm not saying it's gonna be an easy transition, but that would only be due to technique. In terms of toughness, he will teach the nfl. Side note, it's only all the padding in the NFL that allows player to act like a missile. What do you think he'd be able to do in pads!

People also need to remember just because you're a big good athlete doesn't mean you can play football. He's never played the game, has no idea of the rules or techniques of any position. There were a ton of big athletic people at the combine that have played the game for most of their lives and a number of them won't make it. Starting from ground zero is extremely against the odds. I know he's learning a lot of that stuff now, but it's an uphill battle. especially when he's ready to play he's going to be at the NFL level. I would rather see people like this get a NCAA scholarship first.

I don't agree with this, I think it's the other way around. My coach was a professional rugby player and practised with our team without wearing pads or helmet. And I mean full on. He destroyed us. He used to take us to rugby games to show toughness in a sport. I'm not saying it's gonna be an easy transition, but that would only be due to technique. In terms of toughness, he will teach the nfl. Side note, it's only all the padding in the NFL that allows player to act like a missile. What do you think he'd be able to do in pads!

I dont agree with this...NOTHING
HOW MANY PREVIOUS RUGBY PLAYERS HAVE PLAYED IN THE NFL
AS A POSITIONAL PLAYER ?

i'LL tell you how many non punters or kickers
that were successful in the HISTORY of the NFL...
let me use where Ronnie Lott's AMPUTATED FINGER use to be to let you know,
THE ANSWER IS ZERO
And don't say Jarryd Hayne...HE STUNK

17 carries for 52 yards
6 receptions for 27 yards
3 fumbles

I dont agree with this...NOTHING
HOW MANY PREVIOUS RUGBY PLAYERS HAVE PLAYED IN THE NFL
AS A POSITIONAL PLAYER ?

i'LL tell you how many non punters or kickers
that were successful in the HISTORY of the NFL...
let me use where Ronnie Lott's AMPUTATED FINGER use to be to let you know,
THE ANSWER IS ZERO
And don't say Jarryd Hayne...HE STUNK

17 carries for 52 yards
6 receptions for 27 yards
3 fumbles
Wow it's as if you didn't read my post at all. And since your response it pretty much all caps(ie screaming) I'll converse with you np further.

That's an OT prospect. That height at DT would play against him, and never-mind the speed. His agility and strength is what would make him a good OT. My one misgiving drafting him would be that the fact that he has never played football before means you'll be waiting 2-3 years before he can play at all, and by then his rookie deal will be nearly up.

I am a big NRL (National Rugby League) fan (Cronulla Sharks). Australians get excited about NRL players coming over here to make big money, but don't have much idea about the NFL. I will check this guy out further. Some of these boys with Samoan heritage are physically huge (and they're getting bigger every year with better nutrition). Some have feet so wide that they have to have shoes specially made for them, not to mention shirts, pants, etc.
Work off the assumption that this guy is physically very tough from playing rugby league but has zero exposure to the NFL game and its rules. He would never have seen a play book. He is like a big lump of clay that can be moulded - a very big lump of clay with power and athleticism.
......................................................................................
Investigated further from the links above. Jordan Mailata is training at the IMG Academy at Bradenton, FL in preparation for the NFL Draft. He's only 20 years old and played underage rugby league for South Sydney in Australia. He has not played a professional NRL game but was considered a terrific development prospect - the headline above is wrong, he's definitely not an NRL star. He has attracted attention from NFL scouts because he is so big (6'7" or 6'8" listed differently in different reports and 345 lbs). Note, he has dropped 28 kilograms ie 61 lbs from when he came to South Sydney (about 15 months ago), to now as he prepares for the NFL Draft. So he's huge and powerful but getting a lot leaner with the IMG Academy training. They have earmarked him for the O-line because of his size, but with a rugby league background he probably has decent ball catching skills. Considered a late round prospect - some team may draft him and take the time to develop him.

Spike, you follow the Sharks......and just how did they go against the Red Vee.

But yes, the rest is right. He never played NRL, was a great prospect but never followed through. Could he be an NFL OT, who knows. he would have the size and fitness, but not the technique, but that can Be taught.

Red Vee baby.

Put him at running back, he is his own Oline. Besides, I wanna see linebackers we face be afraid, very afraid.

That's the problem these players arejust standing in front of him while in the NFL
he'd have "human missiles" ready and able to destroy him.

If you ever got up close you can appreciate the power and destruction
a good safety or linebacker can acheive. It's a whole different experience
than having a rugby player just waiting to get trucked.

I'm not hating on Rugby players I'm just saying
some NFL players are a different breed

Yes, they are a different breed. I have followed both sports for dozens of years ...nrl from 1972, NFL since 89. Both games are as tough as each other but in different ways, the cardio fitness and ability to takes hits without protective equipment makes the nrl players as tough as the NFL players, but then the NFL players can target and drive with what appears to be more force and aggression than the nrl players.

But, my god, both games are violent, aggressive and inflict pain on all players.

This bloke in the vid, bare in mind he was the biggest guy in the comp, by a mile, and was playing with men 2 to 3 years younger at times.

He is a pure prospect, that is all. Not an ex nrl star. I wish him well.

Oh, and Colin Scotts, Adam Gotsis are two that were not kickers or punters. fYI

Back
Top Bottom