NFL clubs Cowboys, Seahawks, Dolphins, vying for former NRL Star Mailata | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL clubs Cowboys, Seahawks, Dolphins, vying for former NRL Star Mailata

Training him for the OL makes the most sense. He won't have to bother with ball handling which should make his transition that much easier.

Did you notice how long Mailatas legs were? They were really long. He looked like an enlarged version of drake with what looks like twice Drakes upper body size. His proportions remind me of Anthony Munoz who played tackle for the Cincinnati Bengals from 1980 to 1992. He is a hall of famer. He played the part of an orderly in the movie "The Right Stuff". You can see his proportions and how big he is in that film. He dwarfed everybody.

It appears to me that a lot of the bigger offensive linemen in the NFL seem to have larger torsos and normal to somewhat shorter legs. This is good if you need to get under somebody but limits the effect you get when you try to stand your opponent up. A man with Mailatas proportions would lift an opposing player off the ground when he straightens up. That would really kill their traction. That's a good thing for an offensive lineman to be able to do, as long as he can get underneath his opponent.

Mailata is probably more than fast enough for a lineman. The real question is if he is quick enough. It didn't show up in the film, but he was selecting his running path before he opened up. He may be quick, we just don't know. Since physical contact isn't a problem with him, he just needs to get used to wearing and using a football uniform and learning how to explode off the line. This is not trivial and it will take some time for him to get used to and become effective.

There is also the concept of the game. American football is much more structured than rugby and tends to discourage individual actions taken outside of the game plan. Rugby is like soccer or basketball in that the game plan is more generalized, but individual actions are taken as available to help the general plan.

It seems to me that the biggest difference between rugby and American football is the way you use your energy. In rugby you spend much more time running around and less time pushing & shoving and even less time that that resting, typically after a whistle. In American football you go through a lot of high energy bursts, separated by short, high effort periods of total exertion and then a short rest getting ready for the next play. There is a lot of stop and go. In rugby there seems to be more go and less stopping. I think that rugby demands more endurance; and while American football demands plenty of endurance, it demands much more energy which is used in short, repeated bursts of maximum strength output.

I would like to see him play.

Cszonka #2

I was thinking the same thing when watching his highlight reel, and enjoyed watching him way more than I should.

He looks like a cross between a heavily-muscled moose and well-oiled rhinoceros that had his supper stolen away.

Good stuff.

Sure, you could toss him on the Oline or Dline, but I think that would be a waste of his tremendous athleticism. Although rugby players dont secure the ball in a similar fashion to an NFL back, I cant imagine the transition would be too difficult for him.

Back
Top Bottom