NFL Network- Dolphins Chris Hogan worth watching | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Network- Dolphins Chris Hogan worth watching

I've yet to see a post about Rishard Matthews on here, or Jeff Fuller. Jesus Christ! Who are we gonna keep at WR? There's no differential between our #2WR and our #8WR
Keep the JC out of your posts. Thanks

Drew Rosenhaus "absolutely" thinks Chris Hogan makes the team. Hogan is not a client of his, by the way.

"You watch this guy and he looks like an NFL wide receiver. He gets open, catches the football and makes plays. (The Dolphins should keep him) otherwise someone else is going to gobble him up, and people will say, 'How did the Dolphins let this guy go?'"

Drew Rosenhaus "absolutely" thinks Chris Hogan makes the team. Hogan is not a client of his, by the way.

"You watch this guy and he looks like an NFL wide receiver. He gets open, catches the football and makes plays. (The Dolphins should keep him) otherwise someone else is going to gobble him up, and people will say, 'How did the Dolphins let this guy go?'"

People tend to knock Rosenhaus as an information source, but for me the two staples in sofla are Barry Jackson's Sports Buzz and the Rosenhaus segments on WSVN Sunday nights after the 11:000 news. I haven't been down there for a few months so I missed this go around, but iirc Rosenhaus not only provides some good info, he's pretty accurate as well. I always look forward the the Rosenhaus clips.

I think its fair to say, We are collectively shaking in our boots at such a terrible thought. Nothing against this current regime as I'm sure they WILL make the right decision concerning the depth chart, BUT we fans have been hurt far too often.

We maybe observing the same thing but using a different language to describe it.But for me his ability to "set-up" the defender is down right NASTY!!!! I wouldn't be surprise if his Lacrosse-playing has alot to do with that. A perfect and savage example is in the HK episode where he absolutely violates R.Jones and another CB(My mouth dropped!!). Honestly, I haven't seen something like that from one of our Wide-Outs since....well, Wes Welker! Not the overall quickness but the ability to throw defenders off-balance with sudden quickness, burst and most impressively I call "mental-games." It means he has the "rare" ability to shifting his body, balance and overall motion in an expected direction(From the Defenders point of view aka the "set-up") and then suddenly and completely shift "unnaturally" the other-way!!!! Like a "nasty" cross-over in BB.

Its really hard to describe, But when you see it your like ****KKKKKKKK

He seems to have a couple of gears added to some mad handling skills.

Here for me in the little that I've seen him is the difference. R Wallace fires off the line at full speed and then either tries to make a cut (with little upper body movement) or he tries to blow past the CB. It is very very hard to make sharp cuts when at full speed.

Hogan comes out at 85-90% (just a example) speed. What is important about that is that now the defender has to stay at 85-90% speed or risk giving up a curl etc. What Hogan now does is add upper body movements to very quick and sharp and then cuts using 3-4 VERY fast steps. He goes from 85% to 100% in a freaking flash. It is very very hard for a CB to stay with him.

PS He is a ankle breaker

Easy now does it really matter who we put there at this point? they are all unproven and looks like whoeveer is going to be thrown to the wolves

I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on that. It's a good angle the media seems pretty unprepared to cover.

Lacrosse dodges are a lot like basketball moves from the point. The best dodgers get people to commit their hips, then they have the ability to go the other way with it.

The big difference with basketball and lacrosse is the size of the field. You have so much more space to work with, that it requires a different kind of speed/quickness combination than b-ball.

I would bet, based only on HK, that Hogan has the ability 1 on 1 to blow by guys. With that said, he was a leading scorer on Penn State. You aren't a leading scorer in legit lacrosse by going to the goal. You dodge to dump, not to shoot. Yes, you have to keep teams honest. But dodgers are the guys who get assists.

That brings me to where I think his team value was as a lax player. This is based on only his leading scorer designation and a few youtube clips that I found.

Since he was a leading scorer, he must have been the guy who shot off of feeds. That means he was 1. sneaky smart (moving away from the ball off double teams), 2. ran off ball cuts very well, and/or 3. has a knack for catching and shooting in traffic (in front of the goal).

His ability to get people to bite on cuts has me thinking he does at least #2 very well. I saw one clip where he got open on the backside of the defense, which is a very small sample of evidence that he does #1 well.

It all comes down to this though, he knows how to get people to commit their hips in space.

Lacrosse dodges are a lot like basketball moves from the point. The best dodgers get people to commit their hips, then they have the ability to go the other way with it.

The big difference with basketball and lacrosse is the size of the field. You have so much more space to work with, that it requires a different kind of speed/quickness combination than b-ball.

I would bet, based only on HK, that Hogan has the ability 1 on 1 to blow by guys. With that said, he was a leading scorer on Penn State. You aren't a leading scorer in legit lacrosse by going to the goal. You dodge to dump, not to shoot. Yes, you have to keep teams honest. But dodgers are the guys who get assists.

That brings me to where I think his team value was as a lax player. This is based on only his leading scorer designation and a few youtube clips that I found.

Since he was a leading scorer, he must have been the guy who shot off of feeds. That means he was 1. sneaky smart (moving away from the ball off double teams), 2. ran off ball cuts very well, and/or 3. has a knack for catching and shooting in traffic (in front of the goal).

His ability to get people to bite on cuts has me thinking he does at least #2 very well. I saw one clip where he got open on the backside of the defense, which is a very small sample of evidence that he does #1 well.

It all comes down to this though, he knows how to get people to commit their hips in space.

Thanks for the input.

EDIT: Not sure why I put a ? there. I meant it wholeheartedly, thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
really, really like what [and i admit, little] i have seen from him. he is my fav camp hopefull and i personally think he has the goods.

but, he isnt making the team. if they had ANY plans for him, he would have been getting in the game earlier than he has with a lot more oportunities and plays where he is the go to guy on the play.

isnt happening. its obvious they are not looking to develope him and are size enamoured witht the 6,2" wr's we have, even though they have never cracked our lineup and are easily covered one on one.

and if they do practice squad him, the pats or one of our other division rivals will be snapping him up.

its almost looking like once agaithat we have a staff that is stuck in the "this guy has more experiance" over "this guy shows big talent" tread mill our staffs have been on for a dozen years now. i hope i am dead wrong and hogan comes out with the starters this week or isn in ALL of the 3 and 4 wide sets, but, i dont see it. we should have seen it this past week if he was on their "we gotta get this kid in the game now and see if he is a legit starter" list.

and personally, i dont give a nats sack if our wr's have 50 years "experiance". out side of bess, none have anything anywhere, nanee, pruitt, wallace, none can seprerate and have been run from other teams so why arethey getting all this attention over hogan who has burned every db on our roster and been open in the pre games so far with our qb's not looking at him and missing plays.

so the mentality is those three are big wr's and have been in the nfl for a few years. not accomplishing ANYTHING, but been on the pine and chucked a few balls at in 5 wide sets.

to me, the guys that were here before are just as new as anyone else we brought in as f/a's or draft pics. none of the "experinace" guys we have were in this system or the staff before. so why the big leg up over the wallaces, nannes and pruits?

right now, as far as production and nack for big plays and showing the little "something, my top 4 wides are bess, hogan, marlon moore and mathews.

as i said, the competition should be equal as this is a brand new system and staff, all should be given the same chance. and shouldn that decision be based on PRODUCTION? outside of bess, NONE of thesd guys have been ANYTHING in gthe nfl so far so dont see them as having any legit leg up as a starter over guys who have less experiance, or are smaller. PRODUCTION and SPARK is what i want to see and so far, hogan, mathews and moore are those guys.

all you can do is evaluate what you see in camp and go from there be it wallace or hogan or pointdexter goombah. you NEVER know untill the regular season starts and these guys go up agaisnt big time db's and and are in a game plan situation. there is a lot of this, well, its camp, he has only been here for a short time, etc... you cant pencil him in on what wwe have seen so far in camp.
r
eally? why? thats how the staff can evaluate ANY of them, wallace or pruitt. its a new scheme and staff. PRODUCTION SHOULD BE THE ONLY CRITERIA.
r
eward that. and, if it doesnt work out in the games, make a change, but trotting guys out who still dont get open and have been career bench warmers doesnt send a good message and stunts the growth of the promising player.

i hope i am dead wrong and this staff gets hogan in and we see him in some regular season games.

I believe Chris Hogan has made the team. It would be more clear if he'd managed to catch that ball down the right sideline but the DB got away with a little bit by grabbing Hogan's left arm and not letting him go up for the ball with two hands.

Chris Hogan showed me what I needed to see with his special teams tackle and that catch where he broke a linebacker's grip and gained 17 yards from nothing. That's what you need to see. Bonus points were how he ran that nine route and made himself available to catch the ball, if not for the sneaky interference.

It's eerie how much Hogan reminds of Miles Austin. Same athleticism. Same strength. Just about the same path from UDFA to abnormally-large slot receiver. Differences of course being Miles was a kick returner and had more football experience, but the two even both came out of Monmouth.

That would be fantastic

really, really like what [and i admit, little] i have seen from him. he is my fav camp hopefull and i personally think he has the goods.

but, he isnt making the team. if they had ANY plans for him, he would have been getting in the game earlier than he has with a lot more oportunities and plays where he is the go to guy on the play.

isnt happening. its obvious they are not looking to develope him and are size enamoured witht the 6,2" wr's we have, even though they have never cracked our lineup and are easily covered one on one.

and if they do practice squad him, the pats or one of our other division rivals will be snapping him up.

its almost looking like once agaithat we have a staff that is stuck in the "this guy has more experiance" over "this guy shows big talent" tread mill our staffs have been on for a dozen years now. i hope i am dead wrong and hogan comes out with the starters this week or isn in ALL of the 3 and 4 wide sets, but, i dont see it. we should have seen it this past week if he was on their "we gotta get this kid in the game now and see if he is a legit starter" list.

and personally, i dont give a nats sack if our wr's have 50 years "experiance". out side of bess, none have anything anywhere, nanee, pruitt, wallace, none can seprerate and have been run from other teams so why arethey getting all this attention over hogan who has burned every db on our roster and been open in the pre games so far with our qb's not looking at him and missing plays.

so the mentality is those three are big wr's and have been in the nfl for a few years. not accomplishing ANYTHING, but been on the pine and chucked a few balls at in 5 wide sets.

to me, the guys that were here before are just as new as anyone else we brought in as f/a's or draft pics. none of the "experinace" guys we have were in this system or the staff before. so why the big leg up over the wallaces, nannes and pruits?

right now, as far as production and nack for big plays and showing the little "something, my top 4 wides are bess, hogan, marlon moore and mathews.

as i said, the competition should be equal as this is a brand new system and staff, all should be given the same chance. and shouldn that decision be based on PRODUCTION? outside of bess, NONE of thesd guys have been ANYTHING in gthe nfl so far so dont see them as having any legit leg up as a starter over guys who have less experiance, or are smaller. PRODUCTION and SPARK is what i want to see and so far, hogan, mathews and moore are those guys.

all you can do is evaluate what you see in camp and go from there be it wallace or hogan or pointdexter goombah. you NEVER know untill the regular season starts and these guys go up agaisnt big time db's and and are in a game plan situation. there is a lot of this, well, its camp, he has only been here for a short time, etc... you cant pencil him in on what wwe have seen so far in camp.
r
eally? why? thats how the staff can evaluate ANY of them, wallace or pruitt. its a new scheme and staff. PRODUCTION SHOULD BE THE ONLY CRITERIA.
r
eward that. and, if it doesnt work out in the games, make a change, but trotting guys out who still dont get open and have been career bench warmers doesnt send a good message and stunts the growth of the promising player.

i hope i am dead wrong and this staff gets hogan in and we see him in some regular season games.

Dead wrong imo. He'll make the 53, as he should. If they try to stash him he's gone. Pruitt was getting some reps in the slot as of a few weeks ago, which made me stop and think a bit. I think that Hogan will start getting more reps in practice and the games. This kid is talented, on a WR corps starved for talent. Why would they risk him? For some scrub like Moore or Wallace? Ain't gonna happen.

If we dont take him New England will and we will regret it everday after

While this is a great "feel-good" story, it concerns me that the coaching staff have only put him in during backup times against backup players. Beyond lack of experience, there has to be red flags that worry the coaching staff. Challenge him against top level CB's and see if he still can get open. If so, then you have a potential great player. If not, then you just have a story on HK that got everyone talking about the kid for a couple weeks.

Even Drew (Sports Final - WSVN) said he is a keeper...duh!

Back
Top Bottom