NFL Network: Miami Dolphins: Most underrated/overrated players of all-time | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Network: Miami Dolphins: Most underrated/overrated players of all-time

Bob's in the HOF were he belongs. How could he be underrated ?

I frequently hear people say stuff like "Griese got carried by a great team" and "Morrall quarterbacked most of the games in the 72 season."

Bob was a GREAT quarterback. I do think he is underrated both by Dolphins fans and NFL fans in general both because he never put up gaudy stats and because the next Hall of Fame QB we had after him did.

I don't believe Griese or Morris are overrated. As one of the analysts in the video mentioned, if you're going to put together a list of the best QBs of all time, Bob Griese probably won't be mentioned until the mid 30s or so. He was very cerebral and a great field general, but never put up huge gaudy stats. He just won.

And Mercury Morris was a very valuable part of the three headed monster known as Csonka/Kiick/Morris. Defenders would be so tired and beaten up from trying to take on Csonka and then Kiick, they were exhausted by the time they had to go chasing Morris.

My vote for most overrated Dolphin goes to Keith Sims. He benefited GREATLY playing next to Webb and never really stood out. You never really saw him get beat badly, but rarely did he just dominate his man.

It is sacrilege for a Dolphins fan to call Taylor overrated. SMH.

Griese never had to carry the team on his shoulders. The team was a machine. The proof is that there was no dropoff when he was replaced by Morrall. That does't mean Griese wasn't a great quarterback. It means Morrall was good enough to execute the pass plays within a system that worked.

yeah maybe but that was more about imo the dline letting centers get to him at the 2nd level...kevin mawae center for the jets ate our lunch getting to zach every time we played em...

plus i specifically remember screaming at the tv when we needed to get a sack or a stop to get off the field "jason taylor make a damn play if you're all you're cracked up to be" and him never getting anything but owned...but you'd play some also ran and he'd have like 3 sacks in a game you won by like 20...never showed up when we really needed him to...

anyone remember zach stoning bettis i think it was in the hole and by stoning i mean contact and bettis is flat on his rear end??? i used to love that rolling ball of butcher knives...

that said the whole damn defense let us down every time we needed em those years...they always fell off towards the tail end of the schedule...too much reading their own press clippings...

The zach hit I remember most was his rookie year where he demolished Shawn Jefferson. Trying to find a video.

Dan Marino overrated. Never there when it counted most. Great player but definitely overrated.

The entire Dolphins' defense from the late 90s through early 2000s was overrated as a unit. They get talked up as if they were on par with the 2000 Ravens, but they never performed anywhere close to that level when it counted. Hell, the Dolphins' defenses from the early 90s had better playoff performances.

Underrated: Tim Bowens, Tim Ruddy, Reggie Roby, Brock Marion, Ferrell Edmunds,

Overrated: Chris Chambers, Keith Jackson, Reggie Bush, Brian Cox, Joey Porter, Brandon Marshall, Bobby Humphrey

I'd say all those Post-Marino teams we had led by Jay Fiedler and a loaded defense could be considered overrated. It is true our defense always collapsed in big moments year after year, but by that same token we had ZERO offense to speak of during those years to support those defenses. We were overrated cause media always had us as Super Bowl favorites or a top 5 team every single season even though we'd always collapse. Our teams were overrated as a whole during that stretch.

yeah...you're screwed when the kiebler elf is signed to a long term contract as your starting qb...

Underrated: Tim Bowens, Tim Ruddy, Reggie Roby, Brock Marion, Ferrell Edmunds,

Overrated: Chris Chambers, Keith Jackson, Reggie Bush, Brian Cox, Joey Porter, Brandon Marshall, Bobby Humphrey

Tim Bowens is good underrated. If I'm not mistaken, he's the last Fin to win ROY.

CC I don't think was that overrated. Sure he only had 1 1,000 yard season with us but he got us 43 TDs with very little help. Hell he finished 3rd in the league in receiving TDs twice with his highest reception total being 82. I think people tend to sour on him because of the disappointing 2006 season (year after his Pro Bowl) and then we traded him during 2007. While he may never have developed into the elite WR we had wanted, he was far from overrated.

people hate hearing that about jason taylor but provided your old enough to remember every time there was a big moment in a season where we needed him to make a play against a high end team etc jason taylor went ghost...no where to be found

did most his damage against scrub competition...way overrated

You are way off here. I know you think its cool to be in the minority opinion an all, but what you said isn't an opinion, its just flat our incorrect. Many of JT's plays came in the fourth quarter against guys like Brady. He was always on the sidelines rallying the D during the 4th quarters. With all the close games we encountered playing Wannyball, this guy sealed many games. Maybe you are remembering his play the last 2 years in the league, but during his prime there's no way you could apply what you said to his game. No way.

Dan Marino overrated. Never there when it counted most. Great player but definitely overrated.

Marino never had much help, he elevated average teams to AFC contenders most of his career.

yeah...you're screwed when the kiebler elf is signed to a long term contract as your starting qb...

Obviously not a great QB but he was underrated by dolphin fans. You guys lost in those years b/c the D always came up small in big spots.

You are way off here. I know you think its cool to be in the minority opinion an all, but what you said isn't an opinion, its just flat our incorrect. Many of JT's plays came in the fourth quarter against guys like Brady. He was always on the sidelines rallying the D during the 4th quarters. With all the close games we encountered playing Wannyball, this guy sealed many games. Maybe you are remembering his play the last 2 years in the league, but during his prime there's no way you could apply what you said to his game. No way.

when is the lst time Miami played a meaningful game against NE? making plays late when the team is out of it doesn't really mean much, where was he late at NE in 2002? where was he in any playoff game? The man known for sacking the QB doesn't have a signle postseason sack despite playing 8 postseason games.

Those highly rated Ds always came up small in big spots and he was one of the leaders, taylor put up impressive #s in his career but he was highly overrated as much of the production came at non critical times.

I always struggled with Jason Taylor as well. Amazing player who made big plays in not so big moments. It would drive me nuts that he was incapable of bullrushing. Imagine if he had always been used the way Saban used him in 2006 when he was NFL Defensive MVP as an OLB. Hope we take that little morsel of knowledge and apply it to Dion Jordan

Back
Top Bottom