NL Mvp | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NL Mvp

finswin56 said:
I think it's the homer in you. I have to think Konerko, Dye, and Thome still mean more to the White Sox.

He is their best defensive player and his numbers are compareable. His RBI's are lower because he generally hits in the 6-7 hole. If fans don't think a DH should get the award which I believe shouldn't we also consider defense rather than just a guy who plays the field?

Crede's D shouldn't be overlooked, but it will be. No one's defense will make up for such a gap in offensive production.

People look down at DH's for MVP because they don't play the whole game, and only contribute on offense. Whereas a position player's defense, if great, will not amount to much more than a compensating factor.
Basically, he would have to be on par with the other candidates offensively for the defense to come in to play. Like ARod and Ortiz last year. Maybe it should mean more, but it doesn't... numbers always rule.

On Crede, no. He's not the best player on his own team, and he's not the most valuable, either. He might not even be in the top three. Guy finally came into his own and is having a great season, but he's not an MVP.

Back to the NL. Right now, he's not a candidate, but if he goes on a HR binge and his team makes the playoffs, let's consider this player's current line:

.336-17-76, .430 OBP, .554 SLG (.984 OPS), and doing it without a Rolen, Delgado, Thome support system in his lineup. Yes, I'm talking about Miguel Cabrera. In a lineup like his, he wasn't supposed to get pitches to hit, so instead of focusing on jacking balls out of the yard, he's merely a top candidate to win the batting title. If - big if - he gets to the 30 HR-110 RBI plateau without the other numbers dropping, and - bigger if - the Marlins make a serious run at the Wild Card, Cabrera has to be a big, big candidate, because his team sure wouldn't be anywhere near where they are without him.

How terrible is the National league when under .500 teams have a shot at the playoffs where in the AL teams that are 20 games over are competing for the WC.

Back
Top Bottom