NL Mvp | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NL Mvp

MikeO said:
Manny's numbers aren't far off from Ortiz's and he has done it in 41 less at bats. Factor in the next 7 weeks and their numbers could end up being around equal with Manny doing it in less at bats. You can make a case Ortiz isn't the MVP of his team, Manny is if you go strictly by the numbers.

I understand what you're saying but anyone who watches the Red Sox play everyday would know that there is no case. Manny isn't the MVP of the Red Sox, it's Ortiz.

Papelbon is the only one that could make a serious case against Ortiz. Everyone else just isn't on the same field. Yes Manny has great numbers but Ortiz is the one putting everyone on his back and carrying the team.

Let's take the Pepsi Challenge with the NL MVP candidates, just looking at stats, not place in standings...

Player A: 99 G, .281 BA/.384 OBP/.619 SLG, 33 HR, 97 RBI, 14 SB, 84 R
Player B: 110 G, .290/.363/.598, 35 HR, 72 RBI, 28 SB, 83 R
Player C: 93 G, .326/.432/.689, 34 HR, 91 RBI, 5 SB, 82 R

Even if we assume that Player A is high in the running for a Gold Glove at his position, and Player B has been more valuable defensively than Player C, is there any possible way that Player C's stats don't carry the day? 70 points of slugging and 48 points of OBP on the next closest guy is just too much to ignore.

If I had a ballot, it would go 1. Pujols, 2. Beltran, 3. Soriano.

phunwin said:
Let's take the Pepsi Challenge with the NL MVP candidates, just looking at stats, not place in standings...

Player A: 99 G, .281 BA/.384 OBP/.619 SLG, 33 HR, 97 RBI, 14 SB, 84 R
Player B: 110 G, .290/.363/.598, 35 HR, 72 RBI, 28 SB, 83 R
Player C: 93 G, .326/.432/.689, 34 HR, 91 RBI, 5 SB, 82 R

Even if we assume that Player A is high in the running for a Gold Glove at his position, and Player B has been more valuable defensively than Player C, is there any possible way that Player C's stats don't carry the day? 70 points of slugging and 48 points of OBP on the next closest guy is just too much to ignore.

If I had a ballot, it would go 1. Pujols, 2. Beltran, 3. Soriano.

Player D: 101 G/ 325 BA/ 405 OBP/ 630 SLG/ 30 HR's/ 97 RBI's 1 SB/ 60 R

I think Berkman gets more votes then Soriano.

Boik14 said:
There's a huge difference between baseball and football; in baseball you play offense and defense. In football your virtually helpless if the other side of the ball is just inept. As far as the pitching its not his fault for an underachieving staff but he hasnt elevated the club either. I mean they were better record wise last year so theyve actually gotten worse...

There is a huge difference, but can you really tell me that you believe Soriano's performance this year is to blame for the Nat's season? That's what it sounds like.

Who's to say he hasn't already elevated that team to a level they wouldn't otherwise have realized? A lead off hitter with those numbers relative to his team's total production is clearly the spark plug of his team' offense. Soriano's defense will never win him a gold glove, and at most it's cost the Nat's a game (he's actually played much better in LF than anyone anticipated), while his offensive production has carried that team.

Like Phil points out, Pujols should be the clear favorite. Not only are his numbers superior, but he also clearly makes that team go, and they are in first place.

finswin56 said:
There is a huge difference, but can you really tell me that you believe Soriano's performance this year is to blame for the Nat's season? That's what it sounds like.

Who's to say he hasn't already elevated that team to a level they wouldn't otherwise have realized? A lead off hitter with those numbers relative to his team's total production is clearly the spark plug of his team' offense. Soriano's defense will never win him a gold glove, and at most it's cost the Nat's a game (he's actually played much better in LF than anyone anticipated), while his offensive production has carried that team.

Like Phil points out, Pujols should be the clear favorite. Not only are his numbers superior, but he also clearly makes that team go, and they are in first place.
Im not blaming sori for anything. Im also not giving him credit for an individual award when the teams play has actually regressed from the same point last year.

I concurred a long time ago in this thread that AP was the favorite but that beltran wright berkman utley howard and 1-2 others deserve some votes. Beltrans probaly the only guy with a chance at uprooting pujols because hes been the best player on the best team with close stats and thats what won the Cy young for Carpenter last year over Dontrelle. So the precedent has been set in that respect for Beltran to actually steal the award.

It would be great to have the MVP in NY. Would would have thought a year ago that we'd be talking about Carlos Beltran being a legit MVP candidate?

finswin56 said:
It would be great to have the MVP in NY. Would would have thought a year ago that we'd be talking about Carlos Beltran being a legit MVP candidate?
Im not going to say I did but we know he wasnt THAT bad. I mean even the biggest haters knew he was at minimum 25hr/25sb/90rbi/260 minimum or theyre just lying to themselves.

I will say I never thought of Beltran as a power hitter, but more a line drive/doubles hitter who hits some hrs, so the 45hr pace is surprising.

Boik14 said:
Im not going to say I did but we know he wasnt THAT bad. I mean even the biggest haters knew he was at minimum 25hr/25sb/90rbi/260 minimum or theyre just lying to themselves.

I will say I never thought of Beltran as a power hitter, but more a line drive/doubles hitter who hits some hrs, so the 45hr pace is surprising.

His postseason two seasons ago with Houston I think elevated expectations of him as a power hitter. He spent most of his time in KC on a awful team so i'll give him a mulligan on last year as he was adjusting to the city.

djfresh47 said:
His postseason two seasons ago with Houston I think elevated expectations of him as a power hitter. He spent most of his time in KC on a awful team so i'll give him a mulligan on last year as he was adjusting to the city.
and playing witha bum quad/2 fractured facial bones. Hes earned the mulligan with the year hes having this year but i hope he doesnt pull an arod next year and regress again

I don't see him regressing. Beltran seems to have adjusted to NY, and the fans are finally taking a likeing to him. He's in his prime years, and should be even more comfortable in NY next year.

This is the homer in me talking but if Joe Crede hits .300 with 30 Homeruns and 100 rbi's while playing a gold glove 3b shouldn't he be in the conversation for AL MVP? Especially if the White Sox make the playoffs and the BoSox fall out.

I think it's the homer in you. I have to think Konerko, Dye, and Thome still mean more to the White Sox.

djfresh47 said:
This is the homer in me talking but if Joe Crede hits .300 with 30 Homeruns and 100 rbi's while playing a gold glove 3b shouldn't he be in the conversation for AL MVP? Especially if the White Sox make the playoffs and the BoSox fall out.

To be truthfull, this is the first time I heard his name this year, that's why he won't win or get votes, nobody hears about him.

I do think Thome would get more votes then him.

someone I just thought about for the AL; Justin Morneau.

Since mid-June, he's lead the AL in average,HRs,slugging,obp,and RBIs. Last night he hit his 30th HR(First twin to do that since 1987), and batted in his 101st RBI. If The Twins make the playoffs, why not him?

ChambersWI said:
someone I just thought about for the AL; Justin Morneau.

Since mid-June, he's lead the AL in average,HRs,slugging,obp,and RBIs. Last night he hit his 30th HR(First twin to do that since 1987), and batted in his 101st RBI. If The Twins make the playoffs, why not him?
I do think he'll receive some votes, although probably no higher than 3rd or 4th. Still not bad still being quite young and this being his first full year.

Back
Top Bottom