Boik14 said:
But players do have comprarable stats (Runs/HR/RBI/BA/SB/OPS):
Thome: (81/33/83/298/0/1.044)
Hafner: (81/33/94/306/0/1.071)
Ortiz: (83/39/108/290/1/1.022)
Jeter: (74/8/67/350/24/.911)
Manny: (68/31/89/310/0/1.054)
Morneau: (64/29/97/323/1/.983)

The only stat papi stands out in is rbi. His BA is the worst (though by no means bad) of any of the candidates. His OPS is middle of the pack.

Well I think a lot is going to depend on who makes the playoffs and who doesn't.

Personally I think these threads as to who should win an award right now are pointless. There's still a little less than 2 months left in the baseball season. A lot could happen and a player not even mentioned could carry his team into the playoffs in the last 2 weeks and win the award (ala Tejeda and Vlad a few years ago). The debate shouldn't really start until the middle of September.

djfresh47 said:
So I should just ignore everything in a close game until the 9th inning? Saying Ortiz wins games by himself is laughable really? He's had game winning hits late in a game but what's the difference between a game winning hit early in the game and late in the game? I looked at his late inning stats on MLB.com he's hitting slighly above his average at a little above .300 in late innings of close games. Since the all-star break he is hitting a ridiculous .538 in late innings of close games but I expect that will level off as more AB's come. If I needed a single hit i'd probably take Joe Mauer right now he is hitting 75 points higher than Ortiz. Also he has 5 homeruns in late innings of close games all vs right handed pitchers and he is hitting a modest .214 vs LH pitchers in late innings of close games.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_player_splits.jsp?playerID=120074&statType=1&splitSet=1&c_id=mlb&sitSplit1=lc

Cmon man, this your life we are talking about. Youd pick Ortiz in a heartbeat.
Probaly should start new thread here for the AL MVP keep the thread seperate from the NL MVP.

Ray Finkle said:
Well I think a lot is going to depend on who makes the playoffs and who doesn't.

Personally I think these threads as to who should win an award right now are pointless. There's still a little less than 2 months left in the baseball season. A lot could happen and a player not even mentioned could carry his team into the playoffs in the last 2 weeks and win the award (ala Tejeda and Vlad a few years ago). The debate shouldn't really start until the middle of September.
I agree the debate was started too early but as long as its around ill take the bait :D

Im just saying that if each continues said pace Papi neither sets himself apart statiscally and he doesnt play the field. My vote, if I had one right now, would be Jeter who's having a great season without some of the offensive support hes accustomed to. IMO Morneau wont win cause hes on a tiny market club. Thome/Hafner/Ortiz all have similar stats which leaves manny and jeets.

Question

If you cant give the MVP to a DH can you give it to a pitcher who pitches only every 5 games?

By your standard you should, Cy Young is the Pitching Award, Silver Slugger is the Hitters award. and the MVP should be the best of both right?

Boik14 said:
I agree the debate was started too early but as long as its around ill take the bait :D

Im just saying that if each continues said pace Pai neither sets himself apart statiscally and he doesnt play the field. My vote, if I had one right now, would be Jeter. IMO Morneau wont win cause hes on a tiny market club. Thome/Hafner/Ortiz all have similar stats which leaves manny and jeets.

But right now Ortiz leads the MLB in HRs and RBIs and is 2nd in the AL (5 or 6 overall I believe) in runs scored. He's a run producing machine. Like you said if everyone continues the pace it will be hard for the voters to vote against a guy who leads possibly both leagues (but most likely the AL) in HRs and RBIs.

Alex44 said:
Question

If you cant give the MVP to a DH can you give it to a pitcher who pitches only every 5 games?

By your standard you should, Cy Young is the Pitching Award, Silver Slugger is the Hitters award. and the MVP should be the best of both right?
No, I wouldnt give it to a pitcher. It would have to be a season like Gibson in 68/pedro in 99/Gooden in 85 for me to even consider it and the only reason I would is because pitching is so bad now its insane. And the hitting is so good because the pitching is so bad. And yeah, im a big fan of raising the mound height back to where it was in the 60's.

Alex44 said:
Question

In my opinion, the MVP award can go to anyone no matter what position they play, including DH or pitcher. MVP stands for most valueble player. If a pitcher happens to be that, then so be it. Ditto for a DH.

Cy Young obvious goes to a pitcher for obvious reasons.

Silver Slugger award goes to the top players at position on the field (just like a gold glove).

Ray Finkle said:
Hey it's your life on the line not mine. :lol:
shoot wrights got 4 or 5 gw hits this year. Ill take my chances. I know my hero wont fail me :cooldude:

Boik14 said:
No, I wouldnt give it to a pitcher. It would have to be a season like Gibson in 68/pedro in 99/Gooden in 85 for me to even consider it and the only reason I would is because pitching is so bad now its insane. And the hitting is so good because the pitching is so bad. And yeah, im a big fan of raising the mound height back to where it was in the 60's.

So pitcher who pitches great cant get it in a time when pitching great is harder, and neither can a DH because he doesnt play the field?

I dont like giving it to a pitcher either BTW

Ray Finkle said:
But right now Ortiz leads the MLB in HRs and RBIs and is 2nd in the AL (5 or 6 overall I believe) in runs scored. He's a run producing machine. Like you said if everyone continues the pace it will be hard for the voters to vote against a guy who leads possibly both leagues (but most likely the AL) in HRs and RBIs.
Thing is he has 4-5 guys within striking distance on the hrs and 3-4 guys close in runs. So he really has to do more then maintain his pace. He has to set himself further apart.

Ray Finkle said:
In my opinion, the MVP award can go to anyone no matter what position they play, including DH or pitcher. MVP stands for most valueble player. If a pitcher happens to be that, then so be it. Ditto for a DH.

Cy Young obvious goes to a pitcher for obvious reasons.

Silver Slugger award goes to the top players at position on the field (just like a gold glove).

Exactly, my point is if a pitcher cant win it because its a hitters award then a DH should be able to win it based on his hitting thats all

If a pitcher has a monster season I have no problem giving it to him....he would have to win 23 games and have a sub 2.30 era though :lol:

Boik14 said:
Thing is he has 4-5 guys within striking distance on the hrs and 3-4 guys close in runs. So he really has to do more then maintain his pace. He has to set himself further apart.

I agree, Ortiz must have numbers head above everyone else to win it.

I think we're getting mixed up and forgetting what each other is saying because we've been on this topic for a while now. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom