NL Mvp | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NL Mvp

finswin56 said:
Well, I guess they could have 39 wins instead of 49.

Saying that a player can't be valuable if his team isn't in contention is manipulating the definition of valuable to meet your expectations. Like I said, he'll have to blow away the competition, but it's just blind to disqualify someone from the MVP award for being on a losing team.
No, I beg to differ brother Joe. Saying a player on a last place shouldnt win MVP is just an opinion that makes sense. If a player plays for a last place team they technically speaking, cant be that much worse. He may have great stats but the MVP is reserved for a great player, and great players elevate their club out of the cellar. Heck Id give it to Howard or Utley, Berkman or even Andruw Jones before Soriano. Theyve had strong seasons and their teams are at or around 500.

finfansince72 said:
Ortiz is the MVP of the AL, anyone that doesnt vote for him should have their privledges taken away. There is no more valuable player in the AL, his team is in playoff contention and his numbers are as good or better than anyone is. What seperates him is the clutch hitting, he has singlehandedly won more games over the last couple of years than any other player. This idiotic the DH can't win stuff is crap. There is absolutely no rule against it, just this idiotic notion that some stupid writers came up with and fans with no sense believe. Its total, complete and utter BS that Ortiz gets an asterisk near his name in consideration for MVP, he is the MVP of the AL.

I agree 100%.

Again I ask if a DH can't win an MVP award than how come Ortiz won the ALCS MVP award in 2004? And don't say its different it's not.

Ray Finkle said:
I agree 100%.

Again I ask if a DH can't win an MVP award than how come Ortiz won the ALCS MVP award in 2004? And don't say its different it's not.

7 games compard to 162........its different!!!

Ray Finkle said:
I agree 100%.

You can make a lot more impact in 7 games then over the course of 162 just hitting or just pitching. Think about it. If player x is a Dh and slumping hes actually detracting from the team but if he's slumping and playing good defense (see for reference Wright's game saving dive 08/05/06) youre still contributing. Plus all those extra hours sitting instead of getting fatigued physically and mentally in the elements well you should have good stats. Its like sayin a part time player should be MVP since a dh only plays 50% of the time.

MikeO said:
7 games compard to 162........its different!!!

Yeah because in a 7 game series Ortiz can't nearly win as many games with his bat than playing in 162 games. :wink:

Boik14 said:
You can make a lot more impact in 7 games then over the course of 162 just hitting or just pitching. Think about it. If player x is a Dh and slumping hes actually detracting from the team but if he's slumping and playing good defense (see for reference Wright's game saving dive 08/05/06) youre still contributing. Plus all those extra hours sitting instead of getting fatigued physically and mentally in the elements well you should have good stats. Its like sayin a part time player should be MVP since a dh only plays 50% of the time.

See the problem I have is that everyone thinks DHing is easy to do. It's not. A lot of players hate to DH because it does take a certain type of player to be able to sit on the bench and have to come to the plate cold.

I admit that playing the field and hitting is a lot harder because of the wear and tear on the body especially in the dog days of summer. But like I said DHing isn't an easy thing to do either.

finfansince72 said:
Ortiz is the MVP of the AL, anyone that doesnt vote for him should have their privledges taken away. There is no more valuable player in the AL, his team is in playoff contention and his numbers are as good or better than anyone is. What seperates him is the clutch hitting, he has singlehandedly won more games over the last couple of years than any other player. This idiotic the DH can't win stuff is crap. There is absolutely no rule against it, just this idiotic notion that some stupid writers came up with and fans with no sense believe. Its total, complete and utter BS that Ortiz gets an asterisk near his name in consideration for MVP, he is the MVP of the AL.

Clutch is the most overrated word associated with sports. I don't think a guy who plays half the game should be MVP. He's had game winning hits but other guys on the team contribute. Hypothetically if the Red Sox win a game 7-6 and Ortiz hits a two run homerun to win it does it make the other runs scored meaningless? We focus on offense in baseball and ignore defense because as fans we like to see teams score which is why Ortiz probably will win MVP.

djfresh47 said:
Clutch is the most overrated word associated with sports. I don't think a guy who plays half the game should be MVP. He's had game winning hits but other guys on the team contribute. Hypothetically if the Red Sox win a game 7-6 and Ortiz hits a two run homerun to win it does it make the other runs scored meaningless? We focus on offense in baseball and ignore defense because as fans we like to see teams score which is why Ortiz probably will win MVP.

Clutch is overrated? Im sure every single coach or player in the league would disagree with you. Ortiz silenced everyone this year, he wins it this year because its just undeniable that he is the most valuable player in the league. If your life was on the line and you needed someone to get a hit who would you pick? If you say anyone other than Ortiz you are a liar straight up.

djfresh47 said:

The MVP award is all about offense as the Gold Glove is about defense. I've never heard a sports writer or announcer or anyone say "Well this year was a tight race between Player A and Player B but in the end Player B had a better fielding % so the award went to him".

On the flip side, some players playing defense are actually hurting their teams by being on the field and killing grass. Just look at Bonds the last few years when he won the award. He didn't win the MVP for playing his heart out on the field. He stood there and let ball after ball drop in front of him because he didn't want to risk driving and hurting himself.

And no offense but if you saw Ortiz play everyday you'd have a lot of respect for him and the word clutch. The guy is amazing and carries his team.

Ray Finkle said:
See the problem I have is that everyone thinks DHing is easy to do. It's not. A lot of players hate to DH because it does take a certain type of player to be able to sit on the bench and have to come to the plate cold.

I admit that playing the field and hitting is a lot harder because of the wear and tear on the body especially in the dog days of summer. But like I said DHing isn't an easy thing to do either.
Bro, Dh'ing is like doing part of your job and leaving the rest to the rest of your team. The only reasons it even exists is cause fans like runs and the DH helps generate that. Runs put ***** in seats which owners like. And the owners, since the players union whips their tail everytime, cant get rid of the DH so they pay them and make the best of it. Its a part time job. Part timers dont get rewards the full timers deserve.

Is ortiz sick? yeah he can mash as well as anyone. But he'd lose value if you ask him to play first base where hes got limited range. Thome is a similar story; except with Thome his back almost forces him to Dh.

Dhing isnt easy because hitting a baseball that changes directions and speeds is never easy. But hitting after you played the field is even harder. So why should the guy doing the least get the games highest individual honor? He shouldnt.

djfresh47 said:
I agree. But clutch isnt overrated, its overused. A lot of people (announcers and fans) cant accurately determine what is clutch and what isnt so you hear every person who talks sports say so and so is so clutch after getting a hit w/risp in an 11-4 game (not a dig at arod).

Ray Finkle said:
The MVP award is all about offense as the Gold Glove is about defense. I've never heard a sports writer or announcer or anyone say "Well this year was a tight race between Player A and Player B but in the end Player B had a better fielding % so the award went to him".

On the flip side, some players playing defense are actually hurting their teams by being on the field and killing grass. Just look at Bonds the last few years when he won the award. He didn't win the MVP for playing his heart out on the field. He stood there and let ball after ball drop in front of him because he didn't want to risk driving and hurting himself.

And no offense but if you saw Ortiz play everyday you'd have a lot of respect for him and the word clutch. The guy is amazing and carries his team.
But if the MVP is about offense then whats the silver slugger for? MVP is for all around play.

finfansince72 said:
Clutch is overrated? Im sure every single coach or player in the league would disagree with you. Ortiz silenced everyone this year, he wins it this year because its just undeniable that he is the most valuable player in the league. If your life was on the line and you needed someone to get a hit who would you pick? If you say anyone other than Ortiz you are a liar straight up.

So I should just ignore everything in a close game until the 9th inning? Saying Ortiz wins games by himself is laughable really? He's had game winning hits late in a game but what's the difference between a game winning hit early in the game and late in the game? I looked at his late inning stats on MLB.com he's hitting slighly above his average at a little above .300 in late innings of close games. Since the all-star break he is hitting a ridiculous .538 in late innings of close games but I expect that will level off as more AB's come. If I needed a single hit i'd probably take Joe Mauer right now he is hitting 75 points higher than Ortiz. Also he has 5 homeruns in late innings of close games all vs right handed pitchers and he is hitting a modest .214 vs LH pitchers in late innings of close games.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_player_splits.jsp?playerID=120074&statType=1&splitSet=1&c_id=mlb&sitSplit1=lc

Boik14 said:
Bro, Dh'ing is like doing part of your job and leaving the rest to the rest of your team. The only reasons it even exists is cause fans like runs and the DH helps generate that. Runs put ***** in seats which owners like. And the owners, since the players union whips their tail everytime, cant get rid of the DH so they pay them and make the best of it. Its a part time job. Part timers dont get rewards the full timers deserve.

Is ortiz sick? yeah he can mash as well as anyone. But he'd lose value if you ask him to play first base where hes got limited range. Thome is a similar story; except with Thome his back almost forces him to Dh.

Dhing isnt easy because hitting a baseball that changes directions and speeds is never easy. But hitting after you played the field is even harder. So why should the guy doing the least get the games highest individual honor? He shouldnt.

So because there's a DH, Ortiz should be punished because of it? It's not like Ortiz is the only DH in the AL.

Sorry but I disagree with you about hitting while being a DH or hitting when playing the field. It is much harder to hitting when you're DHing because you're cold and your body relaxes while sitting on the bench. When you're in the field you still have your body going and are warm in the game. You have to have focus to be able to hit and have you ever tried to hit a ball after sitting on your butt for 45 minutes? It's not as easy as it would be if you were moving around. That's why you stretch out before you lift or work out (same logic).

And numerous players have said they don't like to DH because it's too hard for them to focus while sitting on the bench and then trying to get themselves pumped up to try and hit. Chipper Jones, Jason Giambi, Manny Ramirez, and even Frank Thomas who is a full time DH.

Boik14 said:
But if the MVP is about offense then whats the silver slugger for? MVP is for all around play.

Sorry but the award is based all about offense. I doubt the voters even look at fielding %, put outs, assists, etc when voting.

Back
Top Bottom