NL Mvp | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NL Mvp

Alex44 said:
That doesnt answer the question

Who has he been valuable to this year? No-one, his team is losing

You shouldnt win MVP if you team isnt good at all, its not fair to the rest of the great players who actually help theirs win

but if there on a good team how r they the ones helping the team win look at Pujols the cardinals didnt run away with the division yet

Alex44 said:
That doesnt answer the question

Who has he been valuable to this year? No-one, his team is losing

You shouldnt win MVP if you team isnt good at all, its not fair to the rest of the great players who actually help theirs win

I'm sorry, but that just makes no sense. Soriano's play has been valuable, while the play of his teammates has been terrible. One player cannot control the play of his team. He most certainly can be valuable on a last place team. They could be much worse without Soriano.

What's not fair is someone getting the benefit of the doubt because he's blessed with being on a team with great pitching, or excellent surrounding talent. That surrounding talent is the real difference between the wins and losses of the teams battling for a playoff birth and those with no chance (see Nationals). If you want to disqualify a player from MVP status because his team isn't in contention, then you might as well argue that one person can overcome an absolute lack of team talent and force his team to win.

The measure of an MVP should be: How much worse would that player's team be without him? Being on a losing team doesn't disqualify you, but it does dampen the effect of an individual's play. That's why it will be so hard for Soriano. He will have to blow away the competition like ARod and Andre Dawson did in the past.

All that being said, I still believe Pujols will win, as Beltran and Wright steal votes from each other. Soriano will most likely end up 2nd or 3rd. I think Ryan Howard could make a late push too.

finswin56 said:
I'm sorry, but that just makes no sense. Soriano's play has been valuable, while the play of his teammates has been terrible. One player cannot control the play of his team. He most certainly can be valuable on a last place team. They could be much worse without Soriano.

What's not fair is someone getting the benefit of the doubt because he's blessed with being on a team with great pitching, or excellent surrounding talent. That surrounding talent is the real difference between the wins and losses of the teams battling for a playoff birth and those with no chance (see Nationals). If you want to disqualify a player from MVP status because his team isn't in contention, then you might as well argue that one person can overcome an absolute lack of team talent and force his team to win.

The measure of an MVP should be: How much worse would that player's team be without him? Being on a losing team doesn't disqualify you, but it does dampen the effect of an individual's play. That's why it will be so hard for Soriano. He will have to blow away the competition like ARod and Andre Dawson did in the past.

All that being said, I still believe Pujols will win, as Beltran and Wright steal votes from each other. Soriano will most likely end up 2nd or 3rd. I think Ryan Howard could make a late push too.

EXACTLY

If your on a terrible team they obviously cant be that worse off without you

MYP = Most VALUABLE player. How valuable can a player be if his team finishes in last place or does not make the playoffs? If you are going to give it to someone like that they should rename the award the most "outstanding" player. MVP should be just that, valuable to his team.

ganooch said:
MYP = Most VALUABLE player. How valuable can a player be if his team finishes in last place or does not make the playoffs?

So if the Red Sox don't make the playoffs, then Oriz can't win MVP. OK, nice logic. :shakeno:

MikeO said:
How do you NOT give the NL MVP award to Soriano?

How about the fact that he plays for Washington? What a terrible question..

Carlos Beltran deserves it..

FaninPatsyLand said:
How about the fact that he plays for Washington? What a terrible question..

Carlos Beltran deserves it..

internet tough guy is now following me around from thread to thread this morning looking to pick a fight with me! :lol:

I think he's got a MikeO man-crush!

MikeO said:
internet tough guy is now following me around from thread to thread this morning looking to pick a fight with me! :lol:

I think he's got a MikeO man-crush!

Hey I've been away for a week, it's not my fault that I'm behind on responding to asinine comments that just happened to come from your keyboard.

Here's a quick run down of what I've seen so far...

1) Let's give the MVP award to a player on the Washington Nationals, when you have comparable numbers from players on competitive teams.

2) Wang in the race for Cy Young.

MikeO said:
So if the Red Sox don't make the playoffs, then Oriz can't win MVP. OK, nice logic. :shakeno:
you are right. THe team should at least be in contention. The difference with big Papi is that he is clutch beyond belief. THe guy is money. He should have won the mvp last year over A-rod

FaninPatsyLand said:
Hey I've been away for a week, it's not my fault that I'm behind on responding to asinine comments that just happened to come from your keyboard.

Here's a quick run down of what I've seen so far...

1) Let's give the MVP award to a player on the Washington Nationals, when you have comparable numbers from players on competitive teams.

2) Wang in the race for Cy Young.

1) I never said GIVE the award for Soriano, I simply asked a question that its gonna be tough not to give it to him with the year he is having. I simply made the statement that he will go 40-40 most likely and that is a tough pill to swallow. And unless Pujlos steals aroudn 35+ bases in 7 weeks there numbers wont' be comparable. Soriano will go 40-40 and the number of guys who have done that in this league the past 100 years aren't many!

2) Wang IS in the race for Cy Young. He has better numbers than Santana and is on a better team. If YOU are going to throw Santana in the race (as you did in a previous post in another thread) then HOW IN THE WORLD CAN YOU LEAVE Wang out?????

ganooch said:
you are right. THe team should at least be in contention. The difference with big Papi is that he is clutch beyond belief. THe guy is money. He should have won the mvp last year over A-rod

AROD had better numbers and his team won the division. He had 1 more home runs, 22 stolen bases, batted .320 to Ortiz not batting over .300......and he played the field.

Your logic is all over the place and your anti-yankee feelings are coming out I think.

MikeO said:
AROD had better numbers and his team won the division. He had 1 more home runs, 22 stolen bases, batted .320 to Ortiz not batting over .300......and he played the field.

Your logic is all over the place and your anti-yankee feelings are coming out I think.
my point is that Imo Big Papi is more valuable to the Red sox than A-rod was to the Yankees. Numbers are not everything. The Yankees are loaded from top to bottom with offensive weapons. A-rod has always been a number guy. He is however one of the best to ever play the game. I do hate the Yankees but I can honestly say that Jeter is more valuable to the Yankees than A-rod is. Jeter can play for my team any day!

Here is another one for ya. In around 41 less at bats, Manny this year has only 8 less home runs. 20 less RBI. A batting average of .320 to .290 edge over Ortiz (including 1 less total hit in 41 less at bats with Manny ALSO having 7 more walks). AND he plays the field.

If there numbers end up similar, Manny will get votes over Ortiz because .........he plays DEFENSE!!!!!!!

MikeO said:
Here is another one for ya. In around 41 less at bats, Manny this year has only 8 less home runs. 20 less RBI. A batting average of .320 to .290 edge over Ortiz (including 1 less total hit in 41 less at bats with Manny ALSO having 7 more walks). AND he plays the field.

If there numbers end up similar, Manny will get votes over Ortiz because .........he plays DEFENSE!!!!!!!
you can't hold it against Ortiz that he is the DH. The American league has been using that ***** position for years. IT's like the NFL not recognizing punters for the hall of fame (except for Ray Guy).

Back
Top Bottom