NL Mvp | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NL Mvp

ganooch said:
I do hate the Yankees but I can honestly say that Jeter is more valuable to the Yankees than A-rod is. Jeter can play for my team any day!

Anyone with a clear head who looks at the numbers finds that above statment idiotic on every level.

MikeO said:
Anyone with a clear head who looks at the numbers finds that above statment idiotic on every level.
again, all you look at is the numbers. Ask any Yankee fan (and I am surrounded by thousands) that Jeter is more valuable to the Yankees than A-rod is. the fact that you believe A-rod is more valuable than Jeter is in your own words "idiotic"

MikeO said:
1) I never said GIVE the award for Soriano, I simply asked a question that its gonna be tough not to give it to him with the year he is having. I simply made the statement that he will go 40-40 most likely and that is a tough pill to swallow. And unless Pujlos steals aroudn 35+ bases in 7 weeks there numbers wont' be comparable. Soriano will go 40-40 and the number of guys who have done that in this league the past 100 years aren't many!

I think you overrate SBs. Just my opinion, I'm not trying to start anything. Yes SBs are nice to have but I don't think they mean jack to the writers. The award is won on HRs and RBIs.

Again joining the 40/40 club is nice but only 1 player who did that won the MVP award.

MikeO said:
1) I never said GIVE the award for Soriano, I simply asked a question that its gonna be tough not to give it to him with the year he is having. I simply made the statement that he will go 40-40 most likely and that is a tough pill to swallow. And unless Pujlos steals aroudn 35+ bases in 7 weeks there numbers wont' be comparable. Soriano will go 40-40 and the number of guys who have done that in this league the past 100 years aren't many!

2) Wang IS in the race for Cy Young. He has better numbers than Santana and is on a better team. If YOU are going to throw Santana in the race (as you did in a previous post in another thread) then HOW IN THE WORLD CAN YOU LEAVE Wang out?????

Soriano shouldn't sniff an MVP award on the Washington Nationals when the numbers are comparable (which they will be) from other players on competitive teams. End of discussion, what a ridiculous notion.

2) I can leave Wang out because Santana has been flat out BETTER than Wang has. Take off your pinstriped glasses for a second and look at these numbers.

Santana
12-5
162.1 Innings Pitched
168 Strikeouts
3.22 ERA
1.07 WHIP
.218 OBA w/Bases Empty
.246 OBA w/Runners On
.197 OBA w/RISP
.197 OBA w/RISP and 2 Outs

Wang
13-4
156 Innings Pitched
48 Strikeouts
3.58 ERA
1.25 WHIP
.234 OBA w/Bases Empty
.316 OBA w/Runners On
.310 OBA w/RISP
.291 OBA w/RISP and 2 Outs

Aside from record, which isn't exactly the best indicator of how someone has pitched, there's no contest. And unlike good pitchers, Wang doesn't exactly get tougher to hit in big situations.

I don't think a DH should win MVP nor should Soriano. It's not an award for the best player. Soriano is a great player but if you take him off the Nationals they're a last place team and they're a last place team with him so how valuable is he?

MikeO said:

A-Rod gets dumped on because of his contract. The hatred for him is laughable. Especially since the Yankees are paying Jeter more a season than A-Rod.

In the recent issue of ESPN the mag I believe Dan LeBatard points out something that is very true about A-Rod/Jeter. Jeter hits a late inning homerun he's starting a rally; A-Rod does the same thing he's hitting another meaningless homerun.

Alex44 said:
EXACTLY

If your on a terrible team they obviously cant be that worse off without you
Well, I guess they could have 39 wins instead of 49.

Saying that a player can't be valuable if his team isn't in contention is manipulating the definition of valuable to meet your expectations. Like I said, he'll have to blow away the competition, but it's just blind to disqualify someone from the MVP award for being on a losing team.

I don't think Big Papi will win the AL MVP just because voters will not give the award to a DH. The one thing he does have going for him is that the position players aren't having years close to him. The 3 best offensive players in the AL have been Papi,Thome, and Hafner(all DH's), the only 2 field players I can think of that are even having MVP type years are Jeter and Dye

ChambersWI said:
I don't think Big Papi will win the AL MVP just because voters will not give the award to a DH. The one thing he does have going for him is that the position players aren't having years close to him. The 3 best offensive players in the AL have been Papi,Thome, and Hafner(all DH's), the only 2 field players I can think of that are even having MVP type years are Jeter and Dye

Manny also. His numbers aren't that far off from Ortiz especially since he has 41 less at bats

If Jeter wins MVP over Papi then the writers who vote on it would have successfully made a mockery of the award process.

Ortiz is the MVP of the AL, anyone that doesnt vote for him should have their privledges taken away. There is no more valuable player in the AL, his team is in playoff contention and his numbers are as good or better than anyone is. What seperates him is the clutch hitting, he has singlehandedly won more games over the last couple of years than any other player. This idiotic the DH can't win stuff is crap. There is absolutely no rule against it, just this idiotic notion that some stupid writers came up with and fans with no sense believe. Its total, complete and utter BS that Ortiz gets an asterisk near his name in consideration for MVP, he is the MVP of the AL.

MikeO said:
Wright is 10 home runs off the pace of Soriano, Beltran, and Pujlos.

Beltran's AVG is only .280 while Soriano and Pujlos are at or near .300.

Beltran is a clear 3rd in the running behind Soriano and Pujlos.
Beltran has more rbi by far which means he gets his rs with runners on. hes got a better ops as well. The hr's beltran was ahead a few days ago.

You seem to be the only one who cant see that sori has no business in the mvp discussion. Must be an arod fan as well. :rolleyes:

Players on last place teams/teams well under 500 arent MVP winners. the worst that can happen is that those teams are even worse and there isnt a heck of a lot of room for washington to be worse then they are.

Perfect23 said:
look at the team he is on the nationals Livan hernandez not the best year of his carrer there bbullpen isnt very good and he is the only reason they have wins nick johnson not that good jose vidro used to be good and there outfield he is the only good outfielder out there he is leading the majors in outfield assists but yet is value has been losing dont blame him blame the nats.
Exactly; look at the team he is on and check what hes done to make the team better. theyre in last place with him and theyd be in last without him.

MikeO said:
Numbers only mean so much. The last time the Yanks had a losing record during the jeter era? Never. Arod and his awesome fantasy stats didnt equate to wins in texas and while it wasnt entirely his fault dont tell me a team that was in the top 5 in runs seemingly every year didnt give him support. Arod is less valuabkle in real life then jeter any day of the week. Any real Yank fan knows it. Jeter is ridiculous in big spots and thats how you win games, not hitting insurance homers when its 11-4 already.

FaninPatsyLand said:
Soriano shouldn't sniff an MVP award on the Washington Nationals when the numbers are comparable (which they will be) from other players on competitive teams. End of discussion, what a ridiculous notion.

2) I can leave Wang out because Santana has been flat out BETTER than Wang has. Take off your pinstriped glasses for a second and look at these numbers.

Santana
12-5
162.1 Innings Pitched
168 Strikeouts
3.22 ERA
1.07 WHIP
.218 OBA w/Bases Empty
.246 OBA w/Runners On
.197 OBA w/RISP
.197 OBA w/RISP and 2 Outs

Wang
13-4
156 Innings Pitched
48 Strikeouts
3.58 ERA
1.25 WHIP
.234 OBA w/Bases Empty
.316 OBA w/Runners On
.310 OBA w/RISP
.291 OBA w/RISP and 2 Outs

Aside from record, which isn't exactly the best indicator of how someone has pitched, there's no contest. And unlike good pitchers, Wang doesn't exactly get tougher to hit in big situations.
you have to excuse yank fans; they think they know everything....:cooldude:

Back
Top Bottom