No home field advantage because of schedule | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

No home field advantage because of schedule

The best home field advantage we can have is a good team. Yes I know there are things that can help but at the end of the day if your team is good then it can win anytime and anywhere. If you have a bad thing then you're going to lose more times than not.

Ozzy rules!!

Stop being wimps. Football is a COLD WEATHER sport. It's not meant to be a HOT AND HUMID sport. If we can't play in the cold then we may as well quit the NFL.

The shame of these London "home" games is it screws the ticket holders who, unless they feel like shelling out the thousands required to go / take family to the U.K., miss out on a game. Why do we always play as the "home" team there? Roger Goodell is a douche.

New league rule. If you want to host a Super Bowl, you have to give up a home game for London...at least until the league moves Jacksonville there permanently.

Stop being wimps. Football is a COLD WEATHER sport. It's not meant to be a HOT AND HUMID sport. If we can't play in the cold then we may as well quit the NFL.

Says who? Funny that you root for a football team that plays in a warm and humid climate. Lol

zJN4e_s-200x150.gif

Miami doesn't play Pittsburgh this year. They play in NE on Thanksgiving weekend so I doubt it snows. They're at Buffalo in December so that's a valid concern. They play the Jets in Week 3 (9/24) so the weather won't be cold enough to snow.

Oops, sorry. Thanks for pointing that out Duderino. The other game I was thinking of was @Kansas City on December 24th. One of the loudest places in the NFL, open air stadium, and it gets quite cold there around Christmas. Very possibly a snow game.

We're gonna have no home field advantage because of the literal field at this rate.... looks terrible out there tonight

Lol I know other teams' fanbases that know they have to play in Miami hurry up and scan the schedule once it's released hoping to see it's not scheduled in September. I know I do the same hoping the Dolphins aren't in Buffalo in December.

I could be over exaggerating but it appears New England usually gets 3 home games in a row every other year, their Thursday night game at home, no London games as the home team, and they usually seem to always play in Buffalo when it's nice and sunny in September or October but they usually get Miami and buffalo at home in December or January in blizzard conditions lol

The Saints also go to LA to play the Rams so they're in the same boat as Miami (though they do play LA later in the season than Miami does).

Actually, I disagree. IMHO, we're in a worse situation than the Saints. It's not just the London game. Look at all of the Cross-Continental or Trans-Atlantic stuff we have in our schedule:

1. Week 2, we fly from the East to West - Miami to Los Angeles
2. Week 3, we fly from the West to East - Los Angeles to New York
3. Week 4, we fly Trans-Atlantic - New York to London
4. Week 5, we fly Trans-Atlantic - London to Miami
5. Week 16, we fly East to West - Buffalo to Kansas City
6. Week 17, we fly West to East - Kansas City to Buffalo

That's a lot of long flights. IMHO, it's not just the flight to London, or even the flights to and from London, its the fact that we play 16 games and have extremely long flights before 6 of them. Now in a typical season, we'd have 8 away games, but 3 of those would be East Coast teams in our division (New York City, Buffalo and Boston). Considering that this year our matchup games are Tennessee and Baltimore, two relatively close cities, it's very strange that the NFL managed to give us 6 extremely long flights.

Add that to the fact that we're probably the team with the most extreme advantage at home during the first month of the season, and they only scheduled one game in Miami among the first four games ... and that is against a local team just up the road in the center of FLORIDA! That blows. So the fact that from November 26th onward we're made to play @New England, @Buffalo and @Kansas City is ... well ... not at all balanced.

I get it. We were awarded the Super Bowl. Grats to Ross for the money and prestige that brings. And thanks to Ross for throwing so much of his own money into making our stadium better. But on the field, we're paying a high price for having that bone thrown our way. Fortunately, this is happening during the season we lost Tannehill ... so our expectations are not really as high.

From a scheduling standpoint, we play probably 3 long flight games more than most teams. We also play 2 more seasonally disadvantaged games more than we receive. Those are games where the odds are stacked against us, and we probably have 5 more of those than most teams. IMHO, that's a big deal schedule-wise. Can we win those games? Sure, we have a shot at each one. But even before Tannehill's injury those are games we're probably going to be expected to lose.

Let's face it, the NFL schedule makers have been hating on Miami for quite some time but it appears this year takes the cake.

Actually, I disagree. IMHO, we're in a worse situation than the Saints. It's not just the London game. Look at all of the Cross-Continental or Trans-Atlantic stuff we have in our schedule:

1. Week 2, we fly from the East to West - Miami to Los Angeles
2. Week 3, we fly from the West to East - Los Angeles to New York
3. Week 4, we fly Trans-Atlantic - New York to London
4. Week 5, we fly Trans-Atlantic - London to Miami
5. Week 16, we fly East to West - Buffalo to Kansas City
6. Week 17, we fly West to East - Kansas City to Buffalo

That's a lot of long flights. IMHO, it's not just the flight to London, or even the flights to and from London, its the fact that we play 16 games and have extremely long flights before 6 of them. Now in a typical season, we'd have 8 away games, but 3 of those would be East Coast teams in our division (New York City, Buffalo and Boston). Considering that this year our matchup games are Tennessee and Baltimore, two relatively close cities, it's very strange that the NFL managed to give us 6 extremely long flights.

Add that to the fact that we're probably the team with the most extreme advantage at home during the first month of the season, and they only scheduled one game in Miami among the first four games ... and that is against a local team just up the road in the center of FLORIDA! That blows. So the fact that from November 26th onward we're made to play @New England, @Buffalo and @Kansas City is ... well ... not at all balanced.

I get it. We were awarded the Super Bowl. Grats to Ross for the money and prestige that brings. And thanks to Ross for throwing so much of his own money into making our stadium better. But on the field, we're paying a high price for having that bone thrown our way. Fortunately, this is happening during the season we lost Tannehill ... so our expectations are not really as high.

From a scheduling standpoint, we play probably 3 long flight games more than most teams. We also play 2 more seasonally disadvantaged games more than we receive. Those are games where the odds are stacked against us, and we probably have 5 more of those than most teams. IMHO, that's a big deal schedule-wise. Can we win those games? Sure, we have a shot at each one. But even before Tannehill's injury those are games we're probably going to be expected to lose.

Flying to play the division games isn't a big deal at all. Same east coast time and at most what 3.5 hours in the air? They do it annually.

KC isn't far.

LA is a trip because it's across all the time zones so I'll give you that. London is longer too but the Giants beat Miami there and what about Oakland? They had the killer flight that year they played Miami overseas.

Oops, sorry. Thanks for pointing that out Duderino. The other game I was thinking of was @Kansas City on December 24th. One of the loudest places in the NFL, open air stadium, and it gets quite cold there around Christmas. Very possibly a snow game.

Gotta win in those environments in the playoffs anyway. Real men would at least.

We are always the at the top of list of most traveled teams. That's one of the disadvantages of our location. I think Seattle is usually at the top too.

Back
Top Bottom