*Official 06-07 NHL Thread* | Page 37 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*Official 06-07 NHL Thread*

Never really watched Hockey but I decided Im going to give it a shot.

So what can someone here tell me about my Florida Panthers.

Alex44 said:

yea....they suck :D

ok heres a real analysis

yea got a good Captain in Olli Jokinen...you traded away your best player in Roberto Luongo for a goon Todd Bertuzzi who is, in my opinion way overrated. hes out with back problems. Jay Bouwmeester isa good young D man. Nathan Horton is good as well.. all in all youre a few years away from the playoffs

Panthers dominated the Sabres when they played the first time. That's something they can build upon. Although they get to play them again tonight.

Buffalo News reporting Henrik Tallinder is about 10-14 days away from being back in uniform. He's been cleared to stickhandle.

Alex44 said:

Your Panthers are in a transition right now.

Olli Jokinen is a VERY good player. He's your captain and the keystone to the franchise. He plays with an edge and he has touch.

It's a pretty young team with players that need to ascend into prominence if the team is to take a step into playoff contention. Players like Stephen Weiss, Nathan Horton, Mike Van Ryn, Rostislav Olesz and Greg Campbell are good young prospects and if things go right they could be the heart of a good team in a year or two.

Injuries have not helped them this year. Todd Bertuzzi CAN BE a dominant player. He's had a bad back for the better part of two years and had surgery. If he comes back to his form of three years ago he can once again be a great player in my opinion. He has a rare combo of size, speed and hands and if motivated is one of the most dominant players in the whole league.

Further down in the system the Panthers have Michael Frolik, Kenndal McArdle and Anthony Stewart, all forwards and players that are about 2 years away from the NHL.

The Panthers have a lot of depth throughout the organization at forward. Their issue is young defenseman. Jay Bouwmeester is a very good young D-man and they have the previosly mentioned Van Ryn and Bryan Allen, after that it is pretty thin.

I'd like to tell you more about your team but I honestly have only seen them once this year in action. Most of what I do know about their players I get from having watched them in junior hockey or reading prospect reports.

On the topic of you "giving the sport a shot". I can only say that hockey is not the same on T.V. as it is live. If you go to a game live I can almost promise you'll be hooked. The speed of the game live is night and day compared to the T.V. "experience".

Hockey is different then other sports with young players as well. You'll hear about a guy getting drafted and then not hear his name for three years in many circumstances. Most of the guys drafted are 17-18 year olds and they usually return to junior hockey or go to college before they attempt to make a jump to the NHL.

Give it a chance. I hope you do because hockey is the most under appreciated sport on Earth in my opinion.

unifiedtheory said:
Your Panthers are in a transition right now.

Olli Jokinen is a VERY good player. He's your captain and the keystone to the franchise. He plays with an edge and he has touch.

It's a pretty young team with players that need to ascend into prominence if the team is to take a step into playoff contention. Players like Stephen Weiss, Nathan Horton, Mike Van Ryn, Rostislav Olesz and Greg Campbell are good young prospects and if things go right they could be the heart of a good team in a year or two.

Injuries have not helped them this year. Todd Bertuzzi CAN BE a dominant player. He's had a bad back for the better part of two years and had surgery. If he comes back to his form of three years ago he can once again be a great player in my opinion. He has a rare combo of size, speed and hands and if motivated is one of the most dominant players in the whole league.

Further down in the system the Panthers have Michael Frolik, Kenndal McArdle and Anthony Stewart, all forwards and players that are about 2 years away from the NHL.

The Panthers have a lot of depth throughout the organization at forward. Their issue is young defenseman. Jay Bouwmeester is a very good young D-man and they have the previosly mentioned Van Ryn and Bryan Allen, after that it is pretty thin.

I'd like to tell you more about your team but I honestly have only seen them once this year in action. Most of what I do know about their players I get from having watched them in junior hockey or reading prospect reports.

On the topic of you "giving the sport a shot". I can only say that hockey is not the same on T.V. as it is live. If you go to a game live I can almost promise you'll be hooked. The speed of the game live is night and day compared to the T.V. "experience".

Hockey is different then other sports with young players as well. You'll hear about a guy getting drafted and then not hear his name for three years in many circumstances. Most of the guys drafted are 17-18 year olds and they usually return to junior hockey or go to college before they attempt to make a jump to the NHL.

Give it a chance. I hope you do because hockey is the most under appreciated sport on Earth in my opinion.

Thank you and Slappy both, Im going to find out when our next televised game is down here.

I like all other sports so I see no reason I shouldnt like Hockey

Alex44 said:
Thank you and Slappy both, Im going to find out when our next televised game is down here.

I like all other sports so I see no reason I shouldnt like Hockey

you have to go to a live game...nothing compares to it.

Ottawa has Buffalo's number this year. I'm not looking at the standings but about half of the Sabres losses have been to the Sens. Although they had the Sabres number going into the playoffs last year. Emery is 6-1 career vs Buffalo in the regular season which is pretty impressive.

Slappy8800 said:
you have to go to a live game...nothing compares to it.
Totally agree.

No sport translates worse to T.V. then hockey in my opinion. HD makes a huige difference but the live event is still the only way to watch the sport. You can really get a feeling how big and fast the players are by being there.

:( Live isn't what it used to be. I remember going to see Habs games at the old Forum with my grandfather when I was a lot younger. Still gives me chills to think about that '93 team.

Today if you go see a game, all you will get is power plays, loud and obnoxious music, clips and gimmicks. There are still some quality places like MSG and HSBC where the atmosphere can be something if they play a rival, but there are far fewer than 10, 15 years ago. It's a shame but that's the way it works.

unifiedtheory said:
Totally agree.

No sport translates worse to T.V. then hockey in my opinion. HD makes a huige difference but the live event is still the only way to watch the sport. You can really get a feeling how big and fast the players are by being there.

Hockey live is much better. People get to see the whole game rather than the few camera angles. Also getting to hear things that a television telecast would not pick up adds to the sport.

One thing about hockey players is that they're along with Nascar the most media friendly athletes. I remember Brindamour last year being interviewed on Rome and he basically said that people in Carolina have little knowledge of hockey. Though they were progressing. Football is king and it can't be touched in the USA but I can go out partying and know where a few hockey players are. Last year while out a friend of mine called Andrew Peters who then shows up with Daniel Briere and starts drinking beers with us. I've seen guys like Flutie out and around and the image they want to portray through the media is the opposite of what they are. While hockey players are not trying to send a fake image.

Back
Top Bottom