*Official 06-07 NHL Thread* | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*Official 06-07 NHL Thread*

RWhitney014 said:
Re: the defensemen, we've been looking for big guys who will sweep the ice for years...now that we have some, they fit well because they will each be on the ice with a "new NHL" d-man in Bouw and Ryno.

Our veterans all had good years last year. 15-25 goals and relatively few healthy scratches from all of them is what we need. I wouldn't be criticizing Kolnik, either...as the guy we acquired in the vaunted Sven Butenschon deal, I'd say he's been a great pickup for the fourth line. Weiss is poised to break out this year. Apparently he's had a fantastic summer with conditioning and the like. I'm excited to see the product on the ice. Take a look at the stories in the Sun-Sentinel today. There's a tone in the players' statements about making the playoffs that have been absent for a long time.

The big guys that sweep the ice such as Bryan Allen don't belong on the ice anymore. Most of them end up in the penalty box and are more a liability than anything. Chara and Prongs have adjusted their game to become complete defensemen but apart from that you'll see more and more the smaller, more skillfull d-men taking over games (See Liles tonight). Kolnik has been bouncing around the AHL for years. Weiss has been poised to break out for a long time. This might be the year but I don't pay much attention to press clippings. It's the same charades every October, players talking about how they'll compete for the playoffs or Stanley. I do admire your optimism though, especially as a Cats fan. :wink:

Pink_Dove said:
The big guys that sweep the ice such as Bryan Allen don't belong on the ice anymore. Most of them end up in the penalty box and are more a liability than anything. Chara and Prongs have adjusted their game to become complete defensemen but apart from that you'll see more and more the smaller, more skillfull d-men taking over games (See Liles tonight). Kolnik has been bouncing around the AHL for years. Weiss has been poised to break out for a long time. This might be the year but I don't pay much attention to press clippings. It's the same charades every October, players talking about how they'll compete for the playoffs or Stanley. I do admire your optimism though, especially as a Cats fan. :wink:

Thanks.

I just have a different feeling about them this season. They have been mired in mediocrity for so long, and a lot of times the only way to fix that is to move the face and try to create a new one. For instance, while at the time it would have been very unpopular, the Royals could have gotten a lot for Mike Sweeney, and since he's had 3 or 4 very expensive, unproductive seasons, they're probably kicking themselves for not biting when they had the chance.

I think Luongo is a comparison worth making. He's a very good goalie. Not a great goalie - yet - but a very good one nonetheless. Yet he's never faced anything like the media and public firestorm he will will face the first time he lets a rebound in on an easy goal like he did plenty of times here. The Panthers, for all their talent, never went anywhere with Luongo, and this is now totally Olli Jokinen's team. He's got the big contract, the gaudy stats, and the C on his chest. I feel like a rudderless ship has finally set course. By no means are they the best team in the East going in, but they will be putting as much talent on the ice as anyone. And you only need to look at the 2006 Tigers and Marlins to see what can happen when raw talent is in play.

We'll have to see, but if we play like we did from December to April while avoiding our November last season, we'll get in. At least I hope so.

Ryan Miller and Cam Ward both were outstanding tonight. I thought Vanek played well for Buffalo and they need him to forget the postseason last year and be a major contributor. Both teams were sloppy but I think that can be expected right now from every team. I was shocked to see Afinogenov on the penalty kill. It seemed that every minute somebody was on the PP. The Sabres PP wasn't impressive they failed to score on a 5-3 with over a minute. Jiri Novotny who was subbing for Connolly I thought played a decent game.

Wow did the Av's crap the bend tonight.

They should have BURIED the Stars early but Turco stood on his head and then made a great play in overtime to hit Sydor coming out of the box to win the game.

Good game though.

Pens 4 Flyers 0??? :confused:

Esche has to go.....11 shots on Esche and 4 go through. You smell Esche. Whaddayothink Nizzo? If we don't get a goaltender it will be a very long year. :tantrum:

At least we are not the Ottawa Senaturds. :lol:

Roman529 said:

Esche has to go.....11 shots on Esche and 4 go through. You smell Esche. Whaddayothink Nizzo? If we don't get a goaltender it will be a very long year. :tantrum:

:lol:

hey where's Dom?

Roman529 said:

Who saw this coming?...

Oh wait...

Crisis said:
And you still have no goalies.

Another first round exit for Philly.

unifiedtheory said:
Roberto Luongo is already paying off for the 'Nucks.

He was excellent tonight and the 'Nucks get a 3 - 1 win in Detroit.

I think that move has been overlooked. I think Loungo is the best goaltender in the league. A case can be made for Kiprusoff but I think Loungo is better and if he's not he's in the top 2. The season has just started but for a team to succeed in the playoffs they have to have to be good in net. During the regular season guys can be average and the team can be very good but when it comes down to a 7 game series I think goaltending is more often than not the deciding factor. Look at the Ottawa Senators the past few seasons. An interesting to watch and this is getting WAY ahead of myself is whether Anaheim or Buffalo will trade one of their goalies this year. If the Sabres want any chance at re-signing Briere they gotta unload Biron's salary but I don't think Darcy is going to make a dumb deal to a team in the East that could potentially hurt the team in the playoffs. I'd go as far to say that they wouldn't trade him to a team that has any chance of the playoffs if they do trade him.

How stupid is it that the NHL does not have every team play a game on opening night?

The B's don't play until Friday. The NHL schedule bothers me...just thought I'd rant for a moment...LOL.

unifiedtheory said:
How stupid is it that the NHL does not have every team play a game on opening night?

The B's don't play until Friday. The NHL schedule bothers me...just thought I'd rant for a moment...LOL.

I think the Sabres/Canes game was supposed to be the opening game. Although I think that having them play wednesday and then having everybody else start thurday would isolate that game in what was a marquee matchup.

unifiedtheory said:
They should be...they are a very good team. They are in a damn tough division though.

Yeah I like the Rags a lot. Jagr is my favourite player and Shanahan is going to be big on that team teaching the ropes to the younger guys. He is good for 30 every year. Funny, a couple years ago all they had was Brian Leetch. Now they have everything else but a Leetch type defenseman. They're top 3 with Carolina and Buffalo in the East.

unifiedtheory said:

Nobody does. The Fins and Steelers played on the Thursday night. MLB teams start on different days. NBA teams do, too. Even the Hurricanes and Seminoles played on Labor Day to kick the season off the week before pretty much everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom