Official 2006 Florida Marlins Offseason Thread | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 2006 Florida Marlins Offseason Thread

PhinSoldia said:
Willis Sanchez Olson...and Johnson...what happened to him...Carl will neer have that type of sucess even in a small market team....and to add my two cents in the bonds talk...it would be nice if he breaks the record in a marlin uniform....he will always be a giant but he broke the record in Marlin colors....BUT we have J Will and Hermeda and a host of other kids that would eb able to step up in the outfield....so besides breaking the record in our colors i'd pass on bonds

Pavano went 18-8 with a 3.00 ERA in 2004 for the Marlins.

The only way Bonds is here is if Jacobs is traded somewhere and Hammer moves to first, creating the need for a LF.

We'll investigate all avenues. If Larry sees a chance to bring him in for an affordable price, he'll at least put a feeler out there.

I should have worded that better.

Do you think we will make a respectable and competitive offer in terms of what other teams would offer? Because if he can stay healthy that would be HUGE for us

RWhitney014 said:
Pavano went 18-8 with a 3.00 ERA in 2004 for the Marlins.

The only way Bonds is here is if Jacobs is traded somewhere and Hammer moves to first, creating the need for a LF.

i know that and this prompted his move to New York..but im saying he wont ever have that success AGAIN....

PhinSoldia said:
i know that and this prompted his move to New York..but im saying he wont ever have that success AGAIN....

Not in the AL and not injured of course not. Maybe in the NL in a pitchers ballpark with a good defense, if he was 100% healthy

Marlins Mailbag

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061209&content_id=1758653&vkey=news_fla&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla

Lots of different little questions and answers.

Regarding our centerfield situation:

Actually, Crisp made $2.75 million in 2006, which is steep for what the Marlins are willing to pay at this time. He played just 105 games and had surgery on his left index finger, so there are health concerns. When he's in the lineup, he batted .264 and didn't live up to the expectations in Boston. So, I'm not sure he's viewed as the answer. Crisp is still part of the Red Sox's plans, so Florida is looking in another direction. At the Winter Meetings, the Rays' Rocco Baldelli's name was circulated around, but if there was any steam to make a move for him, it quickly fizzled out before the general managers left Orlando on Thursday. Keep an eye on a couple of other Tampa Bay products -- B.J. Upton and possibly Elijah Dukes -- as possible candidates.

B.J. Upton is the name I would watch. He fits our profile, and the Rays, the dumb Rays, have no place to play him. He's very young, club-controlled, profiles out to be a .290-20-70-.340-.480 hitter with 40+ SB at a strong SB/CS rate. He needs to learn the outfielder because he's an awful infielder, but his infield throwing problems won't be an issue in the outfield. A rumor is circulating that he could start with Nolasco and finish with two more, possibly with Seth McClung (yech) going the Marlins' way. Nolasco, Petit, and West, I'll do. I don't touch Sanchez, Olsen, Johnson, Tankersley, Volstad, and preferably not Pinto.

RWhitney014 said:
B.J. Upton is the name I would watch. He fits our profile, and the Rays, the dumb Rays, have no place to play him. He's very young, club-controlled, profiles out to be a .290-20-70-.340-.480 hitter with 40+ SB at a strong SB/CS rate. He needs to learn the outfielder because he's an awful infielder, but his infield throwing problems won't be an issue in the outfield. A rumor is circulating that he could start with Nolasco and finish with two more, possibly with Seth McClung (yech) going the Marlins' way. Nolasco, Petit, and West, I'll do. I don't touch Sanchez, Olsen, Johnson, Tankersley, Volstad, and preferably not Pinto.

Nolasco is one guy I dont mind parting with, especially to fill a bigger hole. Then the question becomes who takes his spot in the rotation?

Season keeps getting closer and closer, Im pretty excited about this year.

Willis, Johnson, Olsen, Sanchez could all put up 15+ wins this year, Im not a big fan of Nolasco he strikes me as a guy that will pitch around .500 for the year. Though he did have a few stretches where he looked very good.

Hanley, Uggla, Cabrera should be potent, Hanley should be much improved and more consistant making him a huge threat.

The one thing I think we need to do better is play defense. We made a lot of 'great' plays last year, but there were to many easy ones we let go that cost us games.

Cant wait for the season to start....still a long way to go, but closer everyday.

I am curious to see if the young hitters keep it up. I don't think Uggla will be able to get the numbers he had last year, but thats not saying he will have bad numbers, i just feel he was way in over his head last season. I hope Hermida and Willingham can bounce back because they are proably my 2 favorite marlins.

I am curious to see if the young hitters keep it up. I don't think Uggla will be able to get the numbers he had last year, but thats not saying he will have bad numbers, i just feel he was way in over his head last season. I hope Hermida and Willingham can bounce back because they are proably my 2 favorite marlins.

Well if Ugla hits #2 he has some good protection in Cabrera behind him, someone who will probably get on base in front of him in Hanley.

I expect Jacobs to step up big time, so if Uggla slides a little but still produces we should be okay. I'm not sure he was playing over his head, because there was never any question of whether he could hit, even as a minor leaguer. He just never played defense very well.

Back
Top Bottom