Official 2006 Florida Marlins Offseason Thread | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 2006 Florida Marlins Offseason Thread

UCFinfan86 said:
For 1 year, and is the negative attention he is going to bring to the team through the media and in the clubhouse worth it longterm??

Thats a good point.

Bonds would pay for himself for obvious reasons.

Second, as far as him defensively, no, he's not going to win any more Gold Gloves (although many people forget he's one of the all-time leaders in total GGs), but the numbers say he's not as bad as his rep. He's not going to be able to handle 155 games out there, but he wouldn't be a disaster, either.

And negativity? Most teammates love the guy. He puts up numbers, pulls his weight, and minds his own business most of the time. He's not sweet and lovable, but you bet your bottom dollar these guys are sick of playing in front of a bunch of neon orange seats every night, and Bonds would solve that. Not to mention that the guy hasn't been around young, exuberant players in a long time. I'd wager that they rub off on him more than he rubs off on them.

All in all, I would say that the positives far outweigh the negatives. It's a one-year commitment no matter what, the guy is going to add attendance and make the Marlins an event (and we know how important that is in Event Town, USA), and the Marlins would become nationally relevant. Would there be boos? Yeah, sure, fine, they're pros, they can deal with it. After coming off surgery probably a little too early, the guy still hit 26 HR and drove in 77, and his OBP is still really high because of his rep. Perhaps most importantly, stick him behind Miggy and watch Cabrera go, because that's the best protection in the majors.

RWhitney014 said:
Bonds would pay for himself for obvious reasons.

Second, as far as him defensively, no, he's not going to win any more Gold Gloves (although many people forget he's one of the all-time leaders in total GGs), but the numbers say he's not as bad as his rep. He's not going to be able to handle 155 games out there, but he wouldn't be a disaster, either.

And negativity? Most teammates love the guy. He puts up numbers, pulls his weight, and minds his own business most of the time. He's not sweet and lovable, but you bet your bottom dollar these guys are sick of playing in front of a bunch of neon orange seats every night, and Bonds would solve that. Not to mention that the guy hasn't been around young, exuberant players in a long time. I'd wager that they rub off on him more than he rubs off on them.

All in all, I would say that the positives far outweigh the negatives. It's a one-year commitment no matter what, the guy is going to add attendance and make the Marlins an event (and we know how important that is in Event Town, USA), and the Marlins would become nationally relevant. Would there be boos? Yeah, sure, fine, they're pros, they can deal with it. After coming off surgery probably a little too early, the guy still hit 26 HR and drove in 77, and his OBP is still really high because of his rep. Perhaps most importantly, stick him behind Miggy and watch Cabrera go, because that's the best protection in the majors.

I agree with most of that. My one worry is that he gets injured and doesnt play very much at all.

It would be great for him to break the home run record in our ballpark, even though I never wanted him to break it...

Alex44 said:
I agree with most of that. My one worry is that he gets injured and doesnt play very much at all.

It would be great for him to break the home run record in our ballpark, even though I never wanted him to break it...

I'd figure that he'd break before he got the record.

Alex44 said:
:lol:

I just want some sort of Marlins news...anything....sign someone....anyone...

OK, they signed Mike Koplove to a minor-league deal along with about 15 other players. It's on the team website. Most of them are AAA filler, but Koplove's got some MLB success under his belt. Would be really nice if he could be effective again.

RWhitney014 said:
OK, they signed Mike Koplove to a minor-league deal along with about 15 other players. It's on the team website. Most of them are AAA filler, but Koplove's got some MLB success under his belt. Would be really nice if he could be effective again.

I need to check the site more often, I checked yesterday for the first time in what seemed like forever.

Anyway the guy I am most excited about for this year is *drumroll*

Scott Olsen. The kid can flat out dominate and is left handed, if he stays consistant he could easily be a 15 game winner this year and out of your #3 (Im assuming he will be the 3rd starter behind Dontrelle and Josh) thats amazing

The real wildcard this year is Dontrelle IMO will he be the 20 win Dontrelle or the Willis we saw last year (He still should have won more games but he got NO run support at all most nights)

We really need to get the centerfield situation sorted out as well.

If Dontrelle continues his career pattern, 2007 will be a huge year for him. Not to mention his defense behind will be improved at least somewhat with everyone having another year of experience.

BTW, Borowski not offered arby, so we can't recoup a first rounder if/when he signs elsewhere. Disappointing. Bonds wasn't either, so we wouldn't have to give ours up should we sign him.

RWhitney014 said:
If Dontrelle continues his career pattern, 2007 will be a huge year for him. Not to mention his defense behind will be improved at least somewhat with everyone having another year of experience.

BTW, Borowski not offered arby, so we can't recoup a first rounder if/when he signs elsewhere. Disappointing. Bonds wasn't either, so we wouldn't have to give ours up should we sign him.

I was reading the article on the team website

The risk the Marlins faced in offering Borowski salary arbitration is if Borowski decided to take it. Based on his experience and the fact he had a career-high 36 saves in 2006, Borowski could have earned more than $3 million.

Im guessing that the last line means he could have gotten around 3 mil in arbitration, and I dont know if anyone is gonna offer a 36 year old relief pitcher that really doesnt have 'dominating' stuff more than 3 mil. So we would just have been overpaying

Just something to think about with Willis. He pitched in the WBC last year. So did Peavy, who also had a bad year. It could have had something to do with it because both guys weren't used to pitching so hard so early in the season. That could explain a lot. I think both pitchers will have rebound years.

Ray Finkle said:
Just something to think about with Willis. He pitched in the WBC last year. So did Peavy, who also had a bad year. It could have had something to do with it because both guys weren't used to pitching so hard so early in the season. That could explain a lot. I think both pitchers will have rebound years.

I really hope so.

Even at that Dontrelle should have won more games, there were a number of them he lost 1-0, 2-1 3-2 etc. His ERA was a little misleadingly high because there were a couple games he really got pounded.

Anyway Im really excited about this rotation you have 3 potential 15 game winners (Willis, Johnson and Olsen) a guy who is kind of an unknown but should get between 10-15 wins (Sanchez) and a guy Im not very high on but still would be a good #3 starter some places (Nolasco) who should get 12 wins and have at least an even record

Alex44 said:
I really hope so.

Even at that Dontrelle should have won more games, there were a number of them he lost 1-0, 2-1 3-2 etc. His ERA was a little misleadingly high because there were a couple games he really got pounded.

Anyway Im really excited about this rotation you have 3 potential 15 game winners (Willis, Johnson and Olsen) a guy who is kind of an unknown but should get between 10-15 wins (Sanchez) and a guy Im not very high on but still would be a good #3 starter some places (Nolasco) who should get 12 wins and have at least an even record

You do realize Anibal won 10 games in 13 starts or something like that this year, right?

As far as I'm concerned, Willis, Sanchez, and Olsen all have the stuff to win 20 games. I'm not saying they all will or that even one will, but I wouldn't be surprised if any of them reached it. If Carl Pavano can go 18-8 with a 3.00 ERA...

RWhitney014 said:
You do realize Anibal won 10 games in 13 starts or something like that this year, right?

As far as I'm concerned, Willis, Sanchez, and Olsen all have the stuff to win 20 games. I'm not saying they all will or that even one will, but I wouldn't be surprised if any of them reached it. If Carl Pavano can go 18-8 with a 3.00 ERA...

Willis Sanchez Olson...and Johnson...what happened to him...Carl will neer have that type of sucess even in a small market team....and to add my two cents in the bonds talk...it would be nice if he breaks the record in a marlin uniform....he will always be a giant but he broke the record in Marlin colors....BUT we have J Will and Hermeda and a host of other kids that would eb able to step up in the outfield....so besides breaking the record in our colors i'd pass on bonds

RWhitney014 said:

Yeah but I dont want to get my hopes to high for all of them. The top four all have potential for 15 to 20 wins but that is setting the bar very high and I would rather be pleasantly suprised. Some guys really regress after their first year and Im just hoping none of them do.

Back
Top Bottom