Official 2006 Florida Marlins Thread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 2006 Florida Marlins Thread

I hope they find a way to get a stadium here...please!

SMadison29 said:
With that offense, it's very much a reality. The starters are Dontrelle, Moehler, Mitre, ???, & ???. Plus the Braves, Phillies, Nationals, & Mets are all good.

The offense isn't going to be the problem. Don't let last season's average stats blind you; this offense would score 2 runs every day for a week and explode for 12 on Sunday. They couldn't hit late in games, they couldn't hit with RISP, and they virtually all underperformed except for Cabrera, Delgado, and Encarnacion.

Cabrera is back and is likely to absolutely explode this season. And before you use the whole protection argument, it hasn't stopped Bonds from setting records and it never stopped guys like Richie Sexson in Milwaukee from producing big numbers. Not only that, but he will have protection, namely in early Rookie of the Year candidate Jeremy Hermida, a right fielder replacing Encarnacion who is the second- or third-best prospect in all of baseball (Delmon Young, Brandon Wood, Francisco Liriano are probably the only ones who measure up). Then there's Mike Jacobs, who was the Eastern League MVP last year and did hit 11 homers in 100 ABs, albeit against diluted pitching. He can still hit .280-25-90, which is plenty good. Josh Willingham has hit at every level in the pros except for the majors, where he will be getting his first chance. In AAA last season, an a broken forearm incurred in BP in TB with the big club sat him from July to September, but he still hit .324-19-54-.455 (OBP) in just 219 ABs. That's a very solid 2-3-4-5 or 3-4-5-6. The rest of the lineup is very iffy, but it would be helped tremendously by the acquisition of a leadoff hitter that can get on base, something the Marlins sorely lack right now. The ballyhooed acquisition of Joey Gathright would help in a big way. There are still questions about left, center, and second, as long as Ham is catching (he could end up playing LF if Miguel Olivo, who was very solid offensively in San Diego last year after a putrid experience in Seattle), with light-hitting Chris Aguila and Eric Reed and Rule V pickup Dan Uggla slotted to play those positions. The SS position will belong to either super-prospect Hanley Ramirez or Robert Andino, another young player with a slick glove and a weak stick, and Pokey Reese will also show up in the lineup fairly regularly at one of the middle infield positions. Of the quartet, Uggla has the most pop - he hit .297-21-87-.378 last year in the pitching-rich Southern League, very strong for a 2B.

I'm not going to go into the pitching here because there's way too much to talk about for one post, but while the Fish have their growing pains to experience, they will have a lot of talent on the field in 2006. It's only getting better from here, of course, and I don't consider the dismantling of a consecutive 83-win team that drew 21,000 a night to be the huge deal that 1998 was, at least on the field. Emotionally it was very tough, but emotions don't win World Series; they win 3rd place.

RWhitney014 said:
The offense isn't going to be the problem. Don't let last season's average stats blind you; this offense would score 2 runs every day for a week and explode for 12 on Sunday. They couldn't hit late in games, they couldn't hit with RISP, and they virtually all underperformed except for Cabrera, Delgado, and Encarnacion.

Cabrera is back and is likely to absolutely explode this season. And before you use the whole protection argument, it hasn't stopped Bonds from setting records and it never stopped guys like Richie Sexson in Milwaukee from producing big numbers. Not only that, but he will have protection, namely in early Rookie of the Year candidate Jeremy Hermida, a right fielder replacing Encarnacion who is the second- or third-best prospect in all of baseball (Delmon Young, Brandon Wood, Francisco Liriano are probably the only ones who measure up). Then there's Mike Jacobs, who was the Eastern League MVP last year and did hit 11 homers in 100 ABs, albeit against diluted pitching. He can still hit .280-25-90, which is plenty good. Josh Willingham has hit at every level in the pros except for the majors, where he will be getting his first chance. In AAA last season, an a broken forearm incurred in BP in TB with the big club sat him from July to September, but he still hit .324-19-54-.455 (OBP) in just 219 ABs. That's a very solid 2-3-4-5 or 3-4-5-6. The rest of the lineup is very iffy, but it would be helped tremendously by the acquisition of a leadoff hitter that can get on base, something the Marlins sorely lack right now. The ballyhooed acquisition of Joey Gathright would help in a big way. There are still questions about left, center, and second, as long as Ham is catching (he could end up playing LF if Miguel Olivo, who was very solid offensively in San Diego last year after a putrid experience in Seattle), with light-hitting Chris Aguila and Eric Reed and Rule V pickup Dan Uggla slotted to play those positions. The SS position will belong to either super-prospect Hanley Ramirez or Robert Andino, another young player with a slick glove and a weak stick, and Pokey Reese will also show up in the lineup fairly regularly at one of the middle infield positions. Of the quartet, Uggla has the most pop - he hit .297-21-87-.378 last year in the pitching-rich Southern League, very strong for a 2B.

I'm not going to go into the pitching here because there's way too much to talk about for one post, but while the Fish have their growing pains to experience, they will have a lot of talent on the field in 2006. It's only getting better from here, of course, and I don't consider the dismantling of a consecutive 83-win team that drew 21,000 a night to be the huge deal that 1998 was, at least on the field. Emotionally it was very tough, but emotions don't win World Series; they win 3rd place.

good post

do you guys agree with the no facial hair rule?

I just found out what you are talkin' about and it is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I didn't even know NY implemented this. This is very ******ed. Let players have their own personal styles, It doesn't bother you.

Prime Time said:
I just found out what you are talkin' about and it is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I didn't even know NY implemented this. This is very ******ed. Let players have their own personal styles, It doesn't bother you.

yeah i think its ******ed too, although i don't know about any marlins who would have facial hair with these knew players but jason stokes

The facial hair thing has nothing to do with stubble and everything to do with showing who's the boss. As you will hopefully read in my next column, which needs to be approved (hint hint, admins! Step up, new guys! Posted it a whole 4 minutes ago!), it's worth it to let the players know who has control. As they mature and form cohesion, it will probably be relaxed to allow for goatees and such. But it's a matter of professionalism. Just like you wouldn't show up to the office with a two-day scruff, it's not professional to show up to the park that way.

RWhitney014 said:
The facial hair thing has nothing to do with stubble and everything to do with showing who's the boss. As you will hopefully read in my next column, which needs to be approved (hint hint, admins! Step up, new guys! Posted it a whole 4 minutes ago!), it's worth it to let the players know who has control. As they mature and form cohesion, it will probably be relaxed to allow for goatees and such. But it's a matter of professionalism. Just like you wouldn't show up to the office with a two-day scruff, it's not professional to show up to the park that way.

Okay but the office isn't entertainment. Baseball is. This is complete BS. If I was on the Marlins, I'd be pretty upset about this. Just let me play my game, and let me look how I want to look.

Also...If its about showing them who's boss. Why not do something like be at TC on time or you will be held out of playing that day or something? This is rediculous...

i agree with the facial hair, i have a job and im not allowed to have any facial hair, this is their job, their bosses make the rules just like any other business

Back
Top Bottom