Official 2006 Florida Marlins Thread | Page 93 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 2006 Florida Marlins Thread

off to the game, LETS GO MARLINS! i might take some pictures, so if i do ill post them here

ok cya

UCFinfan86 said:
i know you obviously know that. But everyone team in baseball knows that he will be canned so why would they give up a top prospect for him when they can just wait until he is boughout and get him for free?

Why trade a 6th round draft pick for a guy who will certainly be cut?

If the Cubs "trade" for Girardi, they are guaranteed to land him. Everyone assumes he would go to the Cubs if given the option, but what if Joe Torre suddenly decides to retire this offseason and Steinbrenner offers him $5 million a year to manage? Simple as that, and if there's any glimmer of a possibility that the Marlins can get something for Girardi, they will do it.

miamikid92 said:
goin to the game tommorow....nolasco and hamels on the mound..

one last hoorah
:boohoo:

I gotta root for Cole Hamels and my Phils. :tongue: We have the best chance of knocking off the Mets in postseason.

RWhitney014 said:

If the Cubs "trade" for Girardi, they are guaranteed to land him. Everyone assumes he would go to the Cubs if given the option, but what if Joe Torre suddenly decides to retire this offseason and Steinbrenner offers him $5 million a year to manage? Simple as that, and if there's any glimmer of a possibility that the Marlins can get something for Girardi, they will do it.

Tru dat.

RWhitney014 said:

Trading a 6th round football draft pick(little value) and a top prospect is a big difference

UCFinfan86 said:
Trading a 6th round football draft pick(little value) and a top prospect is a big difference

That's because there are different going rates in each sport for what trades are. In football, you rarely see players traded for players, especially big-name players. In baseball, draft picks are not allowed to be traded, so prospects become the equivalent of a draft pick, and if a team so desperately wants someone, you milk them.

You start with Pie. They say no, you go down to the next guy you want, maybe Michael Wuertz and Sean Gallagher or a young catcher. They say no, you move on down the line until it's no longer profitable to pursue the trade. But you investigate all ways to get players in your system, and this is one of them.

RWhitney014 said:
That's because there are different going rates in each sport for what trades are. In football, you rarely see players traded for players, especially big-name players. In baseball, draft picks are not allowed to be traded, so prospects become the equivalent of a draft pick, and if a team so desperately wants someone, you milk them.

You start with Pie. They say no, you go down to the next guy you want, maybe Michael Wuertz and Sean Gallagher or a young catcher. They say no, you move on down the line until it's no longer profitable to pursue the trade. But you investigate all ways to get players in your system, and this is one of them.

I think they could get a ok prospect, i don't disagree with you on that. I only disagreed with the part they could get felix pie.

UCFinfan86 said:
I think they could get a ok prospect, i don't disagree with you on that. I only disagreed with the part they could get felix pie.

Seattle got Randy Winn for Lou Piniella.

And you can't get Pie if you don't ask.

RWhitney014 said:
Seattle got Randy Winn for Lou Piniella.

And you can't get Pie if you don't ask.

And if Piniella went to the Mets then Seattle would have gotten Jose Reyes.

Ray Finkle said:
And if Piniella went to the Mets then Seattle would have gotten Jose Reyes.

Right. And that means Steve Phillips would have traded away a stud LHP in Kazmir and a perennial All-Star SS, two of the most valuable commodities in baseball today.

There's precedent for this. And I trust Beinfest to get the best he can with what he has.

And if we land Pie, we will have a Pie, a Hanley, and an Uggla in our everyday lineup. We'd need Pokey back, I guess, and we could trade for Coco Crisp and Milton Bradley.

RWhitney014 said:
Right. And that means Steve Phillips would have traded away a stud LHP in Kazmir and a perennial All-Star SS, two of the most valuable commodities in baseball today.

There's precedent for this. And I trust Beinfest to get the best he can with what he has.

And if we land Pie, we will have a Pie, a Hanley, and an Uggla in our everyday lineup. We'd need Pokey back, I guess, and we could trade for Coco Crisp and Milton Bradley.

Phillips didn't trade Kazmir, Jim Duquette did. He was fired already by that time.

Pokey back? Pokey Reese? I wouldn't want Milton Bradley on the Marlins, he's too much of a head case for a young ball club. He'd have a negative effect on the team and younger guys.

Ray Finkle said:
Phillips didn't trade Kazmir, Jim Duquette did. He was fired already by that time.

Pokey back? Pokey Reese? I wouldn't want Milton Bradley on the Marlins, he's too much of a head case for a young ball club. He'd have a negative effect on the team and younger guys.

My bad on Phillips/Duquette.

And I was just going for the all-name team with Pokey and Bradley.

Back
Top Bottom