Official 2006 Florida Marlins Thread | Page 94 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 2006 Florida Marlins Thread

Girardi lobbies to stay as Marlins' manager

Joe Girardi took a seat at the end of the bench three hours before Tuesday's game, then lamented that an overhead fan cooling the dugout was pointed away from him.

Such is life on the hot seat.

Because of a rift with Florida Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria, Girardi's tenure as manager is expected to end after only one year. He's under contract through 2008, but a change is likely even though the young Marlins exceeded expectations by contending for a playoff berth before fading last week.

Girardi has said he won't resign, and before the start of a six-game homestand to end the regular season, he lobbied more strongly than ever to stay.

"I came here to do a job," he said. "I love what these kids have accomplished, and I'd like to see it through."

Loria was out of town Tuesday and unavailable for comment. He has said he'll assess the managerial situation after the season, and he has declined to endorse the job Girardi has done.

With the lowest payroll in the major leagues, the Marlins were widely projected to lose more than 100 games. They started 11-31, then became the first club in major league history to climb above .500 after being 20 games under.

A 3-10 skid over the past two weeks ended the Marlins' playoff hopes. They were eliminated from the NL wild-card race Tuesday with a 5-3 loss to Cincinnati, and they need a 5-0 finish to end the season at .500.

"These kids have fought as hard as anyone could fight," said Girardi, who has played 22 rookies. "No one thought we would be in this position with six days to go."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/09/26/marlins.girardi.ap/index.html

BAMAPHIN 22 said:
Girardi lobbies to stay as Marlins' manager

Joe Girardi took a seat at the end of the bench three hours before Tuesday's game, then lamented that an overhead fan cooling the dugout was pointed away from him.

Such is life on the hot seat.

Because of a rift with Florida Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria, Girardi's tenure as manager is expected to end after only one year. He's under contract through 2008, but a change is likely even though the young Marlins exceeded expectations by contending for a playoff berth before fading last week.

Girardi has said he won't resign, and before the start of a six-game homestand to end the regular season, he lobbied more strongly than ever to stay.

"I came here to do a job," he said. "I love what these kids have accomplished, and I'd like to see it through."

Loria was out of town Tuesday and unavailable for comment. He has said he'll assess the managerial situation after the season, and he has declined to endorse the job Girardi has done.

With the lowest payroll in the major leagues, the Marlins were widely projected to lose more than 100 games. They started 11-31, then became the first club in major league history to climb above .500 after being 20 games under.

A 3-10 skid over the past two weeks ended the Marlins' playoff hopes. They were eliminated from the NL wild-card race Tuesday with a 5-3 loss to Cincinnati, and they need a 5-0 finish to end the season at .500.

"These kids have fought as hard as anyone could fight," said Girardi, who has played 22 rookies. "No one thought we would be in this position with six days to go."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/09/26/marlins.girardi.ap/index.html

Just a PR move by Girardi trying to look good so when he gets fired he can say he always wanted to be in FL.

According to Jason Stark on WFAN today, Girardi is apparently the problem in FL not the owner or GM as Girardi thinks he's smarter and better than everyone else (which I found surprising). Apparently Girardi could have kept his job with the Marlins if he made nice with the GM and FO personal but he refused too.

Interesting story to say the least but if the report is true you can't kill Loria anymore because it seems that Girardi isn't working out. And Marlin fans shouldn't worry because if your team has talent (which it does) they can win no matter who's the manager (other examples see Phil Garner with Houston last year).

Ray Finkle said:
Just a PR move by Girardi trying to look good so when he gets fired he can say he always wanted to be in FL.

According to Jason Stark on WFAN today, Girardi is apparently the problem in FL not the owner or GM as Girardi thinks he's smarter and better than everyone else (which I found surprising). Apparently Girardi could have kept his job with the Marlins if he made nice with the GM and FO personal but he refused too.

Interesting story to say the least but if the report is true you can't kill Loria anymore because it seems that Girardi isn't working out. And Marlin fans shouldn't worry because if your team has talent (which it does) they can win no matter who's the manager (other examples see Phil Garner with Houston last year).

I already told you this, Ray. Now you believe me.

And Fredi Gonzalez will be great, thanks.

good season guys, if you don't agree with me read back at the first post in the thread

get 'em next season, this one was defenitly more exciting then last.

lets go marlins!

Team Leaders

AVG: M. Cabrera, .339

HR: D. Uggla, 27

RBI: M. Cabrera, 114

W: 3 tied with 12

ERA: A. Sanchez, 2.83

K: S. Olsen, 166
DSwL3C97-1.jpg

culpepper2chambers said:
rwhit

would the marlins take this deal?

soriano, jeremy reed, and jeff clement
d-train?

No. They would do Soriano, Reed, and Clement for 2 pitching prospects, maybe Nolasco and Petit. Substitute Jones in for Reed and they'd have to think about it. Still think they keep Willis, though. They would have to get wowed for him...like Crawford, Orvella, and Navarro from TB, which will never happen.

RWhitney014 said:
No. They would do Soriano, Reed, and Clement for 2 pitching prospects, maybe Nolasco and Petit. Substitute Jones in for Reed and they'd have to think about it. Still think they keep Willis, though. They would have to get wowed for him...like Crawford, Orvella, and Navarro from TB, which will never happen.
awww jones is gonna be good.....i like him

How long until Girardi is given the boot?

Week, 2 weeks, or a month?

Cubs just announced Dusty isn't coming back.

MikeO said:

Could be as early as tomorrow. I don't think the Marlins are going to wait around to fire him or seek compensation from another team wanting to hire him.

He must have really pissed the wrong people off.

MikeO said:

Loria is pretty cheap, so he will try to get something for him. Bet he has Beinfest working the phones right now.

Vertical Limit said:
Loria is pretty cheap, so he will try to get something for him. Bet he has Beinfest working the phones right now.

It's not a matter of being cheap. It's a matter of being expeditious. If someone wants what you have, no matter what your intentions are, you try to get something in return.

And it will likely be tomorrow, Mike, and they will hire Fredi Gonzalez soon thereafter.

Girardi is already gone.....2pm press conference on FSN. Probably to announce Freddi Gonzalez as new skipper

Back
Top Bottom