**Official CBA Thread II - Update: Owners Approve CBA!** | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

**Official CBA Thread II - Update: Owners Approve CBA!**

Well, everybody..The owners were supposed to start their meeting at 3pm. It's now 3:43..Hopefully by quitting time we'll be hearing some good news. Wonder how long it takes them to look over the proposal and decide if it's good or not.

DrAstroZoom said:
Extremely unlikely, since the owners are the only one talking.

Gee...you're right...so...than this is what I should have said...

"The owners got together sat down and got up less than 5 minutes into the meeting and left because they did not agree on revenue sharing."

How's that?

Go Fins!!!

nopony said:
Fair enough. I think we can either get back to the specific example of player's salaries increasing ticket prices or let it go.

re: your revenue sharing post...

Yess, I think that's about right. I didn't trace the math, and I am not privy to the exact proposals, but your understanding is similiar to mine.

The only difference is that I think the example, while logical, is a little misleading. 56% or 60%, no owner is in danger of actually losing money. Not after their cut of the tv deal. So the argument is more that Buffalo would make less money than Dallas and have their profit margin unfairly deflated by basing player's salary on the whole pie without compensating owners from the same whole pie.

And I think that's exactly what you said.

But honestly, Wilson isn't in any danger of losing money overall from anything on the table.

Ok, thanks, without having to try to go through and follow all of my convoluted math, can you explain why you think there is no way a team can lose money.....do you have insight into where the breakpoint is on how much they can pay the players(56% of total revenue, 60% of total revenue, 94% of total revenue?) before the lose money? or is it different (as I would guess) for all of teams, if so, can you just give me whoever is close to losing money and what their break point is?)And if it's just a guess or based on fact (somewhere in one of these threads someone pointed out the Dolphins lost a few million last year and made a few the year before, but I have no idea of the legitimacy of those numbers), can you point out the link or whatever where the facts come from. Also, if everyone really believes there is no way for a team to lose money, why doesn't everyone buy as much stock in the packers as they can (or did I hear it is limited somewhere). And if you can't lose money, why doesn't everyone that can afford it buy a team?

Geauxfins said:
I could use some help understanding the reveune sharing issue...Here is my cut on the problem, please tell me where I have this screwed up.

If I understand the problem, the deal from the union is that the players want 59.5% of the total revenue the teams bring in as the salary cap. Not necessairly a bad thing at all...right?? However, the teams only get the reveune they produce, plus some bit of revenue sharing. So if the total NFL revenue is $100/yr, the players get $59.50 of that in their contracts, so if we assume there are 30 teams (to make my math simpler), Buffalo pays out $2.00 in salary to stay even with the rest of the teams (30X$2.00=a little over the cap of $59.50, but keep it simple for me)...but the problem in Buffalo is that their owner's revenue is only $1.00 out of the total $100 that is counted to determine the cap. So then Ralph Wilson says share 30% of the revenue eually amongst the teams....Jeffy Jones doesn't like it, cause his revenue is $4.00/yr. But they end upsharing the 30% of the total, so now each team gets their piece of that, so the Bills total revenue is $1.00-.30 (for rev sharing)+$1.00 (the distribution of revenue sharing) which gives them a total revenue of $1.70/yr, but they have to pay the players $2.00/yr....therefore the Stinkin bills lose money....right??? Meanwhile, because Dallas brings in $4.00 (bigger market, luxury boxes, local TV, etc, none of which are options in Buffalo), they give up their 30%, so they end up with $4.00-$1.20(revenue sharing out)+$1.00 (distribution of rev sharing) for a total of $3.80...so Jerry Jones makes money, but not as much as he thinks he should, so he doesn't like it either?? Right? or way, way off??

Yes, the big revenue teams consider the extra revenue they make should be all theres because they are better buisnessmen and to give money to smaller markets is "welfare" as Jones stated. The small revenue teams believe it's because of smaller markets, especally smaller corporate markets. But this isn't a standard free market case such as when Jones made his money in oil. Sort of like if Jones drilling rig is somehow completely dependent on 31 other drilling rigs running for his rig to work at all. And when they all work some won't produce as much oil as his and make much smaller profits or may be in danger of not being able to run very good at all. And without those rigs running Jones gets no oil at all. So it is in his best interest to make sure those other rigs stay running even if he has to share some of the profit from his bigger producing oil rig.

Eshlemon said:
Yes, the big revenue teams consider the extra revenue they make should be all theres because they are better buisnessmen and to give money to smaller markets is "welfare" as Jones stated. The small revenue teams believe it's because of smaller markets, especally smaller corporate markets. But this isn't a standard free market case such as when Jones made his money in oil. Sort of like if Jones drilling rig is somehow completely dependent on 31 other drilling rigs running for his rig to work at all. And when they all work some won't produce as much oil as his and make much smaller profits or may be in danger of not being able to run very good at all. And without those rigs running Jones gets no oil at all. So it is in his best interest to make sure those other rigs stay running even if he has to share some of the profit from his bigger producing oil rig.

so the question for Jones becomes, how much do you give up, to keep the stinkin bills viable?? and of course the stinkin bills want to be more than just viable, but they probably even want to make a profit. So Jones says, just share enough to keep Buffalo even (or maybe even a little less), and Buffalo, says give us to make some profit......and that is what they have to settle on, how much the stinkin cowboys have to give the stinkin bills in order for our Phins to dominate them all??

Sal Lisitano said:
Gee...you're right...so...than this is what I should have said...

"The owners got together sat down and got up less than 5 minutes into the meeting and left because they did not agree on revenue sharing."

How's that?

Go Fins!!!
Sorry for giving you a hard time, but this meeting is going to have a different tone, I think.

BringBackShula said:
Well, everybody..The owners were supposed to start their meeting at 3pm. It's now 3:43..Hopefully by quitting time we'll be hearing some good news. Wonder how long it takes them to look over the proposal and decide if it's good or not.

Disappointed to hear it was starting that late. I was thinking it would start this morning, and that no news was good news.

DrAstroZoom said:
Sorry for giving you a hard time, but this meeting is going to have a different tone, I think.

yeah...i hope there is an agreement...and we move forward so the Fins could spend some $$$ in free agency!!!!!!

Go Fins!!!

Geauxfins said:
Ok, thanks, without having to try to go through and follow all of my convoluted math, can you explain why you think there is no way a team can lose money.....do you have insight into where the breakpoint is on how much they can pay the players(56% of total revenue, 60% of total revenue, 94% of total revenue? before the lose money? And if it's just a guess or based on fact (somewhere in one of these threads someone pointed out the Dolphins lost a few million last year and made a few the year before, but I have no idea of the legitimacy of those numbers), can you point out the link or whatever where the facts come from. Also, if everyone really believes there is no way for a team to lose money, why doesn't everyone buy as much stock in the packers as they can (or did I hear it is limited somewhere). And if you can't lose money, why doesn't everyone that can afford it buy a team?

Hope this helps some, info I posted on the other CBA thread from Forbes:

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?p=2113142#post2113142

Forbes articles posted in 2004 & 2005 list the Dolphins making 32.1 million & 15.8 million the previous year. Unfortuantely could not find any information posted yet in 2006 (for 2005).

Here's a look at the financials for the Packers.

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/LaB/reports/Green%20Bay%20Packers.pdf

It has some interesting numbers that compare it to the rest of the league. It might provide a hint as to where the breakeven target is for the NFL teams.

I don't have the time or inclination to go through the excercise of finding the breakeven point myself, but I'm sure some of you could take a crack at it.

Regards

Eshlemon said:
Hope this helps some, info I posted on the other CBA thread from Forbes:

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?p=2113142#post2113142

Forbes articles posted in 2004 & 2005 list the Dolphins making 32.1 million & 15.8 million the previous year. Unfortuantely could not find any information posted yet in 2006.

1) Forbes is wrong 2) How would they possibly know, its a private Limited Partnership, not a public company 3) I know what 2004, and 2003, waiting for 2005 to hit my desk any day now.

greatwade said:
1) Forbes is wrong 2) How would they possibly know, its a private Limited Partnership, not a public company 3) I know what 2004, and 2003, waiting for 2005 to hit my desk any day now.

What is your source?

Edit: And if Forbes can't get the information, how do you?

I hate sitting around and waiting one what is going to happen with this CBA. I dont have high expectations for what is going on today. I dont think that its going to be good for us. We really really need to get Brees this offseason, that should be our #1 concern. It would be great to be able to pick up a good OL and a good CB.

Hopefully the CBA gets passed though and we can be very active in FA. Heck you could almost build a starting D in FA this year.

canuckfinfreak said:
There were alot more stupier ones, its just a thread, it could hypothetically happen, but like someone said earlier, the branch out would die about as quick as the XFL

Not if the branch out league had the Phins babeeeeeeeeeeeee

Of course that was a joke because I highly doubt any of that would happen!

Back
Top Bottom