**Official CBA Thread II - Update: Owners Approve CBA!** | Page 22 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

**Official CBA Thread II - Update: Owners Approve CBA!**

phinphan11 said:
I just read on http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/ the following:

Dire Straits for the NFL
The NFL's 13 years of labor peace are over. Or so it seems after owners needed only 57 minutes Thursday to affirm their standoff with the players union.

Dude, sorry...that's older than Junior Seau.
That was talking about last week.

BTW...Did you know today is Tuesday?

ok, so according to the forbes thing, and assuming it is right, in 2004 the Dolphins had $16M in operating income (5Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) and revenue of 190M, so if their interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization, come out to be as much as 10% (seems low right?), they lost money?? And that was based on the old cap right??

phinphan11 said:
Tuesday?!? Schnizzle! :o

:lol:

Besides, from all that has been coming from the media, it doesn't look like it'll get resolved today anyway.

That's why they moved the deadline back to midnight tomorrow.

Well, I gotta tell ya, no matter which source we look at it, it sure seems to me it will be easy for these teams to lose money. Lots of teams apparently are NOT making money hand over fist, they can lose money, and, oddly enough the owners don't want to lose money....so either they have to figure out other ways to make money off of owning an NFL franchise (there are lots of ways), or just suck it up, and lose money for the sake of getting to be an owner.....is that what we are hoping for as part of this CBA....seems pretty dire....

Geauxfins said:
Ok, thanks, without having to try to go through and follow all of my convoluted math, can you explain why you think there is no way a team can lose money.....do you have insight into where the breakpoint is on how much they can pay the players(56% of total revenue, 60% of total revenue, 94% of total revenue? before the lose money? And if it's just a guess or based on fact (somewhere in one of these threads someone pointed out the Dolphins lost a few million last year and made a few the year before, but I have no idea of the legitimacy of those numbers), can you point out the link or whatever where the facts come from. Also, if everyone really believes there is no way for a team to lose money, why doesn't everyone buy as much stock in the packers as they can (or did I hear it is limited somewhere). And if you can't lose money, why doesn't everyone that can afford it buy a team?

Ok, first the "how do I know"... I do have insight gleaned from research, but it is not "fact". Based on facts, absolutely, but I am not a team accountant.

Several ways to know...

1. Up to this point, no owner has lost money overall. In strict operating cost vs. direct revenue, accounting can show a loss (baseball teams and hollywood studios are famous for this) but NOT overall. they like to figure this out without counting number two on this list, for example.

2. Each team gets 100 million a year just to start with. That's higher than their player salaries already. And that doesn't count all the other forms of income.

3. The new tv deal starts this year which is worth 3.7 BILLION a year. Alone, that pretty much covers the salary cap for all teams. And merchandising is another huge cash cow, of course. And tickets, etc.

4. Owners talk about profit/loss and never, just like baseball owners, mention the skyrocketing value of their franchises. i don't begrudge them their investment paying off so handsomely one bit... but I do find it disingenuous to not count that when claiming the purses are tight.

And it is not insignifigant. Franchise values overall went up 12% just last year. No matter when you bought the team, you could already sell it for much more than you paid. Snyder bought the redskins for 750 million in 1999 and it is already worth 1.3 BILLION. The players would have to be asking for 80% to begin to cut into that kind of profit.

huzienga bought the Dolphins for 138 million in 1994... and now they are worth 856 million. Who could ask for a better 12 year return?

5. The player's percentage is based on revenue... so in the extremely unlikely even that revenue falls their take would fall, too. So it would have to be a nosedive to really take it below costs. It's not like they have to pay a fixed amount and have to panic about making that payroll.

6. This is not forever. For a long time, the NFL has had the worst deal for its players in all the big sports. By FAR. This absolutely had to be corrected.

They can correct in increments, like they are asking for now, or they can do it in an armageddon scenario that blows up the cap and non-guarantees.

In the extremely unlikely event that the NFL completely loses it's value, they can correct it in the next agreement. The owners have been printing money for years, nothing wrong with the players getting a bigger cut.

Let's see what else did you ask...

For info check out Forbes. They do a write up every year... a write up, buy the way, that does not include all income - and still shows massive profits.

And people fight like dogs over buying teams. Ovitz has been trying for years. It is an exclusive club that the owners control admittance to. No franchise could not find a buyer tomorrow if they wanted to.

Edit... it looks like I was late with some of this. Got called away mid-reply.

Couple extra things:

Forbes is good at franchise value, bad at franchise income. They have no way of knowing and are NOT considering all sources of revenue.

I don't know there history with the Dolphins, but I have been following it closely with the Mariners, a team I have a much better knowledge of their finances. Forbes can only be relied on for franchise values and things like public stadium deals, etc.

Edited to also add that Great Wade has a better idea of the Dolphins specific situation than any of us. A very specific perpective, but better concrete knowledge.

Geauxfins said:
ok, so according to the forbes thing, and assuming it is right, in 2004 the Dolphins had $16M in operating income (5Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) and revenue of 190M, so if their interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization, come out to be as much as 10% (seems low right?), they lost money?? And that was based on the old cap right??

I'm not a CPA, but don't debt payments count as an expense before income is calculated? And Wayne's total debt was listed as $197 million (23%) in 2005, is that high or low for a buisness worth 856 million and 190 milion revenue?

Eshlemon said:
What is your source?

Edit: And if Forbes can't get the information, how do you?

Kinda what I was thinking. They have some pretty good researchers.

The EBITDA line only tells so much. I would think the Ammortization and Depreciation could be huge for an NFL owner.

Samphin said:
It would never work and never happen. Whatever league kept the NFL brand would succeed, the branch out league would not. Just the way it is.

That's correct. Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder need to look at history.
When the USFL started out they had ambitious goals and wanted to compete with the NFL. They had a few high profile, big money egotistical owners like Donald Trump (NJ Generals) who threw a lot of money at some high profile college players and landed the likes of Jim kelly (Houston Gamblers), Steve Young (LA Express), Herschell Walker (NJ Generals) and Reggie White (?team).
In the end, however, they could not compete for the network deals or attain the popularity of the NFL because the NFL is steeped in tradition.
The big market owners need to stop thinking short term and start looking at what's best for the long term success of the entire league. It's in the best interest of the Cowboys, Redskins etc for the likes of the Packers, Chiefs etc. to succeed.

BringBackShula said:
Well, everybody..The owners were supposed to start their meeting at 3pm. It's now 3:43..Hopefully by quitting time we'll be hearing some good news. Wonder how long it takes them to look over the proposal and decide if it's good or not.
Hopefully not long. I just have a bad feeling about it. Maybe that is from all of the crap so far. I hope I am wrong. I hope...I hope...I hope.

never will happen just a rumor since everyone is so hyped up about the cba

nopony said:
No. That's not what I mean. Good gravy, this is very simple. Why is it so hard to understand? Or do you understand and are just being difficult?

Costs do not set price. Ok so far? It doesn't matter what your widget costs, the price point is determined by the market.

However, if the market will only pay $2.50 for your widget, you have two choices, lower your costs or find a new widget... because raising the price because of your cost does. not. work. The market will pay what it will pay, regardless.

The market determines price. Your costs determine your profits or loss.

Bad example market sets the price to a point what dont YOU get? Yes there is only a certain market for a product. But I am sorry but you cannot ignore costs in pricing. You ignore bottom line in that. So you are telling me as a CPA who has done accounting and auditing, for over 13 years doesnt know what I am talking about. Coat management accounting classes sure were a waste. :shakeno: You are obviously a finace/econ guy. I took both subjects, tho not to the extent you have, but I guarentee between my degree and experience I know accounting. Pricing, contribution margins, break even points are duties of a Comptroller or a Controller. You start with direct costs (labor and materials) and in your overhead based on volume and add your markup, consider the market and then set your pricing. Like I said before you factor in other revenues and the like to adjust pricing.

Geauxfins said:
Well, I gotta tell ya, no matter which source we look at it, it sure seems to me it will be easy for these teams to lose money. Lots of teams apparently are NOT making money hand over fist, they can lose money, and, oddly enough the owners don't want to lose money....so either they have to figure out other ways to make money off of owning an NFL franchise (there are lots of ways), or just suck it up, and lose money for the sake of getting to be an owner.....is that what we are hoping for as part of this CBA....seems pretty dire....

That's why Upshaw said from the beginning said this is going to be decided on by revenue sharing for the owners. Because he didn't feel the players should be penalized when the total of all NFL owners were making 16% in 2004 and 17% in 2005. That 4% increase would be balance the field somewhat with the NBA (2nd highest owner making pro sport) making 6.5% & 7.0%. And also try to balance the percentage of money the players don't receive because the cap is a maximum amount. He stated the players have only received 59% total revenue of the 65% players total maximum designated gross revenue in the past CBA. Didn't think this could be right and looked up the info from last year and the players received 61% of the designated 65% maximum so it could be right.

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?p=2120775#post2120775

It's just my opinion, but think the players would accept the 56% if the full amount could be guaranteed somehow.

Back
Top Bottom