**Official CBA Thread II - Update: Owners Approve CBA!** | Page 24 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

**Official CBA Thread II - Update: Owners Approve CBA!**

Nublar7 said:
Cool thanks. Sounds kinda like what Mort was saying at 6 tonight. I heard that a final vote will probably happen sometime tomorrow night(around 7 or 8) and that there seems to be a little bit of optimisim from the owners. Sounds like Jerry Jones might be willing to vote for it now. I hope to God this gets done.

Coming to mind also, he said 2 other things: If no votes rule the day(tomorrow), then there will be no extention or further dealy. If accepted there remains a possibilty to delay the start of the league year till the weekend to allow players reps to agree over the weekend in Hawaii(which is obviously a formailty).

Geauxfins said:
for 1) says who? What is this based on, do you mean, no owner has ever, in the history of professional football, bought a team and then later sold it for less, or do you mean they have never had a financial loss in a year. Prove it.

2) Each team GETS?? $100M/yr?? what are you talking about? From where?? for what?? says who?

3) ok, so what?

4) so if you own google the company, and spend more money than you make in your fiscal year, but the market value of the company goes up, you haven't lost money for that year. Tell ya what, how about I sell you a company, that increases in value every year by $4Million, but every year you lose $5million, what does that have to do with anything??

5) What are you saying?? Yes, if overall revenue goes down, then since the salary cap is a % of that, the salary cap goes down, but what if they cowboys revenue goes up by $10M, the bills revenue goes down by $2M, the cap still goes up, but the bills still lose money. Right?

6) says who and why?? what is so terrible about it. Don't talk to me about guaranteed contracts. the players can have them if they want them. some players have had them. Nothing in the CBA prevents it, so what is the rotten deal the players are getting??

how do you figure the owners are printing money. Prove it.

:shakeno:

Just when it seems like you are starting to be reasonable...

1 - In the modern NFL no owner has taken an overall loss, because the revenue that they share comes close to covering all the annual costs.

2. Each team's portion of the broadcast rights, sponsorships and the about 40% of ticket revenue that goes to visitors came out to over 100 million per team... before counting any of their own profits.

And that number is going up, up, up. Next year the tv ALONE will give each team over 100 million right out of the gate.

And are you allergic to research or something? You keep demanding others teach you. Don't just ask people on here to prove it, dial up that google.com or go to the library and have a go at it.

3. "So what"... um, so it answered your question? How's that. :shakeno:

4. What does your "example", coupled with my facts about franchise value, tell you? That's right, it tells you that NFL franchises are healthy and robust and gaining value like crazy. Businesses don't go up in value because they are hemerroging money... and even if they did... sell. If Snyder is losing money, he can sell and make a tidy 600 million profit.

5. The minimum SHARED revenue from the nfl by itself is insurance enough to cover every team. That 3.7 isn't going anywhere until what, 2011? Then they work out a new labor deal if they like.

6. Guaranteed contracts in the NFl are extremely rare and usually very limited. They are the only big sport without the CBA protection of guaranteed contracts. Trying to wave it away by saying they can get if they want in a league which will almost never do so is disingenous and misleading.

none of what you have here shows any credible info about NFL teams making money every year. so lets move on.

:shakeno:

Yeah. Ok. believe what you like. Those teams are really struggling. Heck you could probably buy the Redskins by trading in your used Hundai.

That's why you have so much turnover in ownership. All of these guys are desperate to sell quick before they lose ALL their money! Panic in the streets! Sell! Sell!

so if it pushes into tomorrow night, sad to say, watch for FA to be pushed back to Friday, just a warning and a guess

Blade2000 said:
so if it pushes into tomorrow night, sad to say, watch for FA to be pushed back to Friday, just a warning and a guess
Yeah, that is what they are reporting. If a deal gets passed, FA will start Friday.

The owners will not even vote on the deal until Wednesday. They are at dinner now, and wehn they get back they are talking about large market clubs vs the small market clubs. They have to give an answer to Gene Upshaw by 8:00pm est tomorrow night one way or another. No more extensions to decide whether to except the deal. Free agency may get moved back a day or so. This was on NFL Network tonight. I have east coast channels so I got this on teh east coast show. Just thought I would share with the family!:wink:

NFL | Free agency could be pushed back once again
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 16:28:28 -0800
<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/9">ESPN.com's John Clayton reports there is some thought that if owners are still talking Wednesday night, March 8, free agency could be pushed back another 24 hours.

Update from KFFL:

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports there is some thought that if owners are still talking Wednesday night, March 8, free agency could be pushed back another 24 hours.

greatwade said:
1) Forbes is wrong 2) How would they possibly know, its a private Limited Partnership, not a public company 3) I know what 2004, and 2003, waiting for 2005 to hit my desk any day now.

You know what the numbers are for tax purposes, which has a lot to do with business decisions made with an eye toward what they will do for Wayne in any individual year. If he has a ton of gains from other ventures, it's a good time for the LLC that is the Dolphins to give him losses. If he has a ton of losses from other ventures, it's a good time for him to realize some gains.

I'll trust Forbes, thankyouverymuch.

Calvin Clean said:
Update from KFFL:

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports there is some thought that if owners are still talking Wednesday night, March 8, free agency could be pushed back another 24 hours.

whatever it takes.

jlfin said:
That's correct. Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder need to look at history.
When the USFL started out they had ambitious goals and wanted to compete with the NFL. They had a few high profile, big money egotistical owners like Donald Trump (NJ Generals) who threw a lot of money at some high profile college players and landed the likes of Jim kelly (Houston Gamblers), Steve Young (LA Express), Herschell Walker (NJ Generals) and Reggie White (?team).
In the end, however, they could not compete for the network deals or attain the popularity of the NFL because the NFL is steeped in tradition.
The big market owners need to stop thinking short term and start looking at what's best for the long term success of the entire league. It's in the best interest of the Cowboys, Redskins etc for the likes of the Packers, Chiefs etc. to succeed.

What is wrong with the small market owners thinking long term success and accept that they have lighter markets. I don't feel they have bad deals nor do the established markets. It is too bad the leverage is needed, I think it is damaging.

I have a bad feeling that no CBA will get done. After watching that Jerry Jones interview yesterday, and seeing how pissed he is about the new proposal, I really have a bad feeling that almost every owner in the league feels about the same.

Vertical Limit said:
I have a bad feeling that no CBA will get done. After watching that Jerry Jones interview yesterday, and seeing how pissed he is about the new proposal, I really have a bad feeling that almost every owner in the league feels about the same.
Jerry Jones did a 180 today. Today it sounded like he will probably vote for it.

Vertical Limit said:
Bro watch NFL Network tonight he is actually upbeat about getting this through. I saw the east coast time slot already today.:wink:

Jimmy James said:
You know what the numbers are for tax purposes, which has a lot to do with business decisions made with an eye toward what they will do for Wayne in any individual year. If he has a ton of gains from other ventures, it's a good time for the LLC that is the Dolphins to give him losses. If he has a ton of losses from other ventures, it's a good time for him to realize some gains.

I'll trust Forbes, thankyouverymuch.

the other unknown factor is whether or not Wayne is salaried by the Dolphins. Owners will often pay themselves from the company so the team takes it as a cost, when it's really just owner profits.

No idea if Wayne does that. I do know that others sports owners do. Sometimes for a lot of dough.

There are a ton of ways to make profit show up as loss. One really odd one is that players are an asset that they can use as a tax deduction.

This one is unique and is a very interesting look at the way the league works... players are treated not as workers, but as assets, like a tractor or a xerox machine, that can depreciate... so the owners are allowed to deduct some of that salary just like they would a machine that broke down.

Back
Top Bottom