**Official CBA Thread II - Update: Owners Approve CBA!** | Page 23 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

**Official CBA Thread II - Update: Owners Approve CBA!**

CrunchTime said:
PFT is no worse than the legitimate press who print contradictory stories time and time again and who base their stories on thinner stuff.
:yeahthat:

At least Florio owns up to what is fact/rumor/or his own opinion

Maybe they'll re-alighn the AFC & NFC into the SMC (Small Market Conference) & LMC (Large Market Conference). And have a SMC vs LMC Superbowl.

has there been any news if the owners like the deal and if not when are they supposed to announce something????

nopony said:
Ok, first the "how do I know"... I do have insight gleaned from research, but it is not "fact". Based on facts, absolutely, but I am not a team accountant.

Several ways to know...

1. Up to this point, no owner has lost money overall. In strict operating cost vs. direct revenue, accounting can show a loss (baseball teams and hollywood studios are famous for this) but NOT overall. they like to figure this out without counting number two on this list, for example.

2. Each team gets 100 million a year just to start with. That's higher than their player salaries already. And that doesn't count all the other forms of income.

3. The new tv deal starts this year which is worth 3.7 BILLION a year. Alone, that pretty much covers the salary cap for all teams. And merchandising is another huge cash cow, of course. And tickets, etc.

4. Owners talk about profit/loss and never, just like baseball owners, mention the skyrocketing value of their franchises. i don't begrudge them their investment paying off so handsomely one bit... but I do find it disingenuous to not count that when claiming the purses are tight.

And it is not insignifigant. Franchise values overall went up 12% just last year. No matter when you bought the team, you could already sell it for much more than you paid. Snyder bought the redskins for 750 million in 1999 and it is already worth 1.3 BILLION. The players would have to be asking for 80% to begin to cut into that kind of profit.

huzienga bought the Dolphins for 138 million in 1994... and now they are worth 856 million. Who could ask for a better 12 year return?

5. The player's percentage is based on revenue... so in the extremely unlikely even that revenue falls their take would fall, too. So it would have to be a nosedive to really take it below costs. It's not like they have to pay a fixed amount and have to panic about making that payroll.

6. This is not forever. For a long time, the NFL has had the worst deal for its players in all the big sports. By FAR. This absolutely had to be corrected.

They can correct in increments, like they are asking for now, or they can do it in an armageddon scenario that blows up the cap and non-guarantees.

In the extremely unlikely event that the NFL completely loses it's value, they can correct it in the next agreement. The owners have been printing money for years, nothing wrong with the players getting a bigger cut.

Let's see what else did you ask...

For info check out Forbes. They do a write up every year... a write up, buy the way, that does not include all income - and still shows massive profits.

And people fight like dogs over buying teams. Ovitz has been trying for years. It is an exclusive club that the owners control admittance to. No franchise could not find a buyer tomorrow if they wanted to.

Edit... it looks like I was late with some of this. Got called away mid-reply.

Couple extra things:

Forbes is good at franchise value, bad at franchise income. They have no way of knowing and are NOT considering all sources of revenue.

I don't know there history with the Dolphins, but I have been following it closely with the Mariners, a team I have a much better knowledge of their finances. Forbes can only be relied on for franchise values and things like public stadium deals, etc.

Edited to also add that Great Wade has a better idea of the Dolphins specific situation than any of us. A very specific perpective, but better concrete knowledge.

for 1) says who? What is this based on, do you mean, no owner has ever, in the history of professional football, bought a team and then later sold it for less, or do you mean they have never had a financial loss in a year. Prove it.

2) Each team GETS?? $100M/yr?? what are you talking about? From where?? for what?? says who?

3) ok, so what?

4) so if you own google the company, and spend more money than you make in your fiscal year, but the market value of the company goes up, you haven't lost money for that year. Tell ya what, how about I sell you a company, that increases in value every year by $4Million, but every year you lose $5million, what does that have to do with anything??

5) What are you saying?? Yes, if overall revenue goes down, then since the salary cap is a % of that, the salary cap goes down, but what if they cowboys revenue goes up by $10M, the bills revenue goes down by $2M, the cap still goes up, but the bills still lose money. Right?

6) says who and why?? what is so terrible about it. Don't talk to me about guaranteed contracts. the players can have them if they want them. some players have had them. Nothing in the CBA prevents it, so what is the rotten deal the players are getting??

how do you figure the owners are printing money. Prove it.

none of what you have here shows any credible info about NFL teams making money every year. so lets move on.

finfromthenorth said:
has there been any news if the owners like the deal and if not when are they supposed to announce something????

Mort said they met at two central time. Tag is presenting the proposal to the owners. This could carry over into tomorrow for a vote.

Nublar7 said:
I'm away from the TV right now. Please let me know what they say.

They will not vote today, still going through the proposal then will get into revenue sharing. There is no consensus in the sources Schefter's talked to, asked his gut feeling he said basically that there is too much to lose and he thinks they get it done. But no new info and there probably wont be any all day. An updated report at 10.

fins2923 said:
They will not vote today, still going through the proposal then will get into revenue sharing. There is no consensus in the sources Schefter's talked to, asked his gut feeling he said basically that there is too much to lose and he thinks they get it done. But no new info and there probably wont be any all day. An updated report at 10.
Cool thanks. Sounds kinda like what Mort was saying at 6 tonight. I heard that a final vote will probably happen sometime tomorrow night(around 7 or 8) and that there seems to be a little bit of optimisim from the owners. Sounds like Jerry Jones might be willing to vote for it now. I hope to God this gets done. :pray:

Back
Top Bottom