Official Game Thread: Japan vs Australia | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Game Thread: Japan vs Australia

Whitedolphin54 said:
When you watch US films and TV programmes you see more and more soccer being featured in them. Perhaps it is just creeping up on us without us knowing?.

This is true? Not saying it isn't since I haven't paid attention, but do you have a few good examples?

I agree a little on the Soccer growing. I wouldn't say it is growing by leaps and bounds but it is creeping. MLS just added 2 new teams not too long ago. US has high(er) expectations than It usually does because more people are interested. etc.

Actually yes. A sitcom about two teenage twin girls. The kids watched it. It was based around a soccer tourney for kids in the USA. Also seen another about womens football. The geezer with the long beard that played for you made a guest appearance. Do you see what my kids put me through:lol:

Prime Time said:
I agree a little on the Soccer growing. I wouldn't say it is growing by leaps and bounds but it is creeping. MLS just added 2 new teams not too long ago. US has high(er) expectations than It usually does because more people are interested. etc.

I actually thought that after you hosted the WC it would be massive over there. Just didn't happen :confused: . Is it because Americans like high scoring games like Basketball do you think? Perhaps we should award 5pts for a goal :eek:

What's interesting about the perception of soccer in the US is that there are many "soccer-bashers" in the press that keep stating Americans aren't interested in soccer: been there, tried that. While that alone doesn't seem so extraordinary, it is once you notice they do that ONLY for soccer and no other sports!!!!

Also, ESPN's management structure works against popularizing soccer in the US. ESPN Sportscenter is more or less independent with regards to what they decide to show. So, you've got all these replays of baseball stuff because all the Sportscenter guys either openly hate soccer or simply don't care.

Whitedolphin54 said:
I actually thought that after you hosted the WC it would be massive over there. Just didn't happen :confused: . Is it because Americans like high scoring games like Basketball do you think? Perhaps we should award 5pts for a goal :eek:

Those who have this theory can't explain why many 1-0 baseball games are considered exciting by many (Hockey isn't that high scoring either).

I'll tell you what I think. You all saw how popular the WC '94 was here, and you see the stadiums sold out when top Euro clubs play here. When the NY Cosmos were still around (with top stars, though a bit past their prime), Giants stadium was full. So, I think it's because the best players in the world don't play for MLS.

Whitedolphin54 said:

I think that probably contributes to the cause...

ckb2001 said:
What's interesting about the perception of soccer in the US is that there are many "soccer-bashers" in the press that keep stating Americans aren't interested in soccer: been there, tried that. While that alone doesn't seem so extraordinary, it is once you notice they do that ONLY for soccer and no other sports!!!!

Also, ESPN's management structure works against popularizing soccer in the US. ESPN Sportscenter is more or less independent with regards to what they decide to show. So, you've got all these replays of baseball stuff because all the Sportscenter guys either openly hate soccer or simply don't care.

Like Jim Rome...I can't stand that POS

Back
Top Bottom