Official Heat-Pistons Series Thread! | Page 33 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Heat-Pistons Series Thread!

TerryTate said:
The Pistons did a great job and played like champs down the stretch, that's a given. I'm just stating the facts that injuries caught up to the Heat, that's all. I never said that the Heat wouldve won games 6 and 7 with a healthy D-Wade, I just said we'll never know.

Face the facts, Detroit caught a huge break. They also ran with it. Carpe Diem.

Please remind me of those breaks again. The ones that don't include injuries to Heat players. I think Detriot saw thier destiny and embraced it.

Den54 here is an example for you since you are a laker fan, if Kobe were to get a freak rib injury in the middle of the Lakers-76ers NBA championship series and would be just as effective as D-Wade, including him taking a seat in game 6, would you have honestly said "no one wants to hear about injuries, Brian Shaw and Derek Fisher shouldve stepped up" as the Lakers blew a 3-2 lead to lose in game 7?

Puhlease :rolleyes:

Den54 said:
Please remind me of those breaks again. The ones that don't include injuries to Heat players. I think Detriot saw thier destiny and embraced it.

"Saw their Destiny"? Bill Walton is that you? That Destiny cliche is worthless...if anything that was them last year...the ultimate underdog. They were the favorite in this series in most of the picks I saw (in 7), so as far as I'm concerned...there's no destiny here.

TerryTate said:
Den54 here is an example for you since you are a laker fan, if Kobe were to get a freak rib injury in the middle of the Lakers-76ers NBA championship series and would be just as effective as D-Wade, including him taking a seat in game 6, would you have honestly said "no one wants to hear about injuries, Brian Shaw and Derek Fisher shouldve stepped up" as the Lakers blew a 3-2 lead to lose in game 7?

Puhlease :rolleyes:

First off you lose any credibility calling me a Laker fan. Please remember the TOS. As for the rest of your post, you're right the Heat have no bench. :lol:

TerryTate said:
"Saw their Destiny"? Bill Walton is that you? That Destiny cliche is worthless...if anything that was them last year...the ultimate underdog. They were the favorite in this series in most of the picks I saw (in 7), so as far as I'm concerned...there's no destiny here.

The more you bellyache the more you sound like Zo after getting beat down by the Knicks in the Playoffs. :cry:

TerryTate said:
How can you honestly say that the better team won this series? Shaq was at 40 percent and wade was lucky if he was 50 percent...

We wont know who the better team was...detroit caught a big break late that put them over the top.

Shaq at 40 & Wade at 50% is a little dramatic don't you think? Shaq wasn't healthy but he was healthy enough to be a factor. Wade was healthy for 5 of the games and detroit had won 2 of those, the teams were very evenly matched for the most part but the better team prevailed.

if Kobe were to get a freak rib injury in the middle of the Lakers-76ers NBA championship series and would be just as effective as D-Wade, including him taking a seat in game 6, would you have honestly said "no one wants to hear about injuries, Brian Shaw and Derek Fisher shouldve stepped up" as the Lakers blew a 3-2 lead to lose in game 7?

The lakers still would have found a way to beat Philly even if Kobe missed a game and was playing hurt in another. Bnefore the series I heard what a great bench you have and how Detroit has no bench, where were these "great" bench players stepping up?

I was feeling devestated from this loss, but being that you're a tragic fan trying to bring me down makes me feel so much better! :lol: You should've played along and pretended to be a Lakers fan.

But back on topic, I am objective. That's how I plan to be if I want to work in the sports industry covering teams. And I am not a coach...a coach is someone that says "there are no excuses, even if we dont have our star player we still expect to get the job done" because they wont say the alternative, which would sound something like "oh, he's not playing, we'll struggle tonight"...

yea, that will liven up the team he's coaching right? I'm not a member of the Heat organization. If I am a member of the team in some capacity and I say "we lost because of injuries", then that is an excuse. However looking from an objective standpoint (yea, i said standpoint), I believe the pistons caught a huge break because the injuries caught up to miami, especially with the injury sustained in game 5 by D-Wade...what is so hard to comprehend about this? The Pistons are an oustanding, well-coached basketball team (Van Gundy was outcoached in this one) and they are the worst possible team that you must play when battling injuries at the same time, because even at full-strength they have the ability to beat you.

Try looking up what every analyst said about this...

Ric Bucher said the following:
"The Pistons, collectively, have been here before.

They know how to prepare for, and function in, a Game 7 atmosphere. The tempo naturally will be slower, for both sides will try to limit their mistakes, which is to Detroit's liking.

All that, combined with neither Wade nor Shaq being 100 percent, will be enough to overcome the home-court advantage. Detroit wins. "

That echos my point.

Marc Stein said the following:
"Not that it takes too much arm-twisting to get me to re-endorse the Pistons, no matter what history says. As maddening as they've been all season, with their intermittent intensity and their conflicted coach, I can't see the defending champs melting down again against the banged-up hosts. "

Greg Anthony said the following:
"There are several mysteries as we head into Game 7:

Dwyane Wade's health. Will the strained rib cage heal enough to allow him to be what he's been – in a word, special – throughout the playoffs?

Shaq's stamina. He was much better in Game 6, but the quick, 48-hour turnaround could impact him. With that thigh injury, he's been far from his usual self in this series. "

Brian James, ESPN Insider:
"I believe Detroit is going to break through and finally win back-to-back games in this series and take Game 7.

If Dwyane Wade does play, just how effective can he be physically? The Heat showed in Game 6 that they have a hard time without a player like Wade who can create his own shot or one for his teammates. "

These arent excuses in the making Den, these are PAID analysts observing that the Heat will probably be a different basketball team without a healthy dwyane wade. And I, the unpaid analyst observed that the Heat clearly struggled without a 100 percent D-Wade. I was torn with this series deciding who would win in 7...it was a toss up for me, and I am a heat fan so this hurt.

I am not making excuses for my favorite basketball team, just observations.

nyjunc said:
Shaq at 40 & Wade at 50% is a little dramatic don't you think? Shaq wasn't healthy but he was healthy enough to be a factor. Wade was healthy for 5 of the games and detroit had won 2 of those, the teams were very evenly matched for the most part but the better team prevailed.

The lakers still would have found a way to beat Philly even if Kobe missed a game and was playing hurt in another. Bnefore the series I heard what a great bench you have and how Detroit has no bench, where were these "great" bench players stepping up?

I never said that they have no bench, so dont bring me into that argument.

TerryTate said:
I was feeling devestated from this loss, but being that you're a tragic fan trying to bring me down makes me feel so much better! :lol: You should've played along and pretended to be a Lakers fan.

But back on topic, I am objective. That's how I plan to be if I want to work in the sports industry covering teams. And I am not a coach...a coach is someone that says "there are no excuses, even if we dont have our star player we still expect to get the job done" because they wont say the alternative, which would sound something like "oh, he's not playing, we'll struggle tonight"...

yea, that will liven up the team he's coaching right? I'm not a member of the Heat organization. If I am a member of the team in some capacity and I say "we lost because of injuries", then that is an excuse. However looking from an objective standpoint (yea, i said standpoint), I believe the pistons caught a huge break because the injuries caught up to miami, especially with the injury sustained in game 5 by D-Wade...what is so hard to comprehend about this? The Pistons are an oustanding, well-coached basketball team (Van Gundy was outcoached in this one) and they are the worst possible team that you must play when battling injuries at the same time, because even at full-strength they have the ability to beat you.

Try looking up what every analyst said about this...

Ric Bucher said the following:
"The Pistons, collectively, have been here before.

They know how to prepare for, and function in, a Game 7 atmosphere. The tempo naturally will be slower, for both sides will try to limit their mistakes, which is to Detroit's liking.

All that, combined with neither Wade nor Shaq being 100 percent, will be enough to overcome the home-court advantage. Detroit wins. "

That echos my point.

Marc Stein said the following:
"Not that it takes too much arm-twisting to get me to re-endorse the Pistons, no matter what history says. As maddening as they've been all season, with their intermittent intensity and their conflicted coach, I can't see the defending champs melting down again against the banged-up hosts. "

Greg Anthony said the following:
"There are several mysteries as we head into Game 7:

Dwyane Wade's health. Will the strained rib cage heal enough to allow him to be what he's been – in a word, special – throughout the playoffs?

Shaq's stamina. He was much better in Game 6, but the quick, 48-hour turnaround could impact him. With that thigh injury, he's been far from his usual self in this series. "

Brian James, ESPN Insider:
"I believe Detroit is going to break through and finally win back-to-back games in this series and take Game 7.

If Dwyane Wade does play, just how effective can he be physically? The Heat showed in Game 6 that they have a hard time without a player like Wade who can create his own shot or one for his teammates. "

These arent excuses in the making Den, these are PAID analysts observing that the Heat will probably be a different basketball team without a healthy dwyane wade. And I, the unpaid analyst observed that the Heat clearly struggled without a 100 percent D-Wade. I was torn with this series deciding who would win in 7...it was a toss up for me, and I am a heat fan so this hurt.

I am not making excuses for my favorite basketball team, just observations.

Subjective obervations I agree. Would've should've could've but did'nt.
But if that helps you with that hole in your heart. Rosie Greer proved you never to big to cry. :cry: :D

TerryTate said:
I never said that they have no bench, so dont bring me into that argument.

You brought yourself into it with your injury argument. If you had a bench they did'nt step up .

Den54 said:
You brought yourself into it with your injury argument. If you had a bench they did'nt step up .

asking the bench to fill in for a very hurt dwyane wade, a hurt shaquille O'Neal, and horrible play by Damon Jones is a lot to ask...don't you think? There's no Nazr Mohammed and Manu Ginobili (in select games) coming off the bench for this team.

Den54 said:
Subjective obervations I agree. Would've should've could've but did'nt.
But if that helps you with that hole in your heart. Rosie Greer proved you never to big to cry. :cry: :D

Translation: You're absolutely right TerryTate....these are observations, not excuses.

What you should do now is stop pooping on a team that you envy, you being a tragic fan...and should go on your merry way :www:

With a healthy Wade and a healthy Shaq, does Miami win this series? Probably. That said, Detroit's frustrating habits of playing down to the level of their opponents and not playing hard until their backs are to the wall definitely didn't help matters. The game 3 implosion was particularly embarassing.

And the thing I'd note about a "healthy Shaq" is this (I've made this point before, and think it bears repeating): if you bet your season on a 33 year old center (going on 36, given all the extra games he's played over the years) with a lengthy injury history and who's played the previous five seasons between 50 and 80 pounds overweight, you're often going to be disappointed. I couldn't believe the amount of bellyaching about Shaq being healthy, personally. Why would you expect him to be healthy? He's missed about 20 games a season over the last 5. It's like me counting on Rasheed Wallace NOT to get a technical foul at the worst possible time. The timing sucks, from your POV, but in betting on Shaq being healthy, they took a big risk and it backfired. Shaq's mediocre rebounding was a huge reason Miami lost this series.

Wade's injury was unfortunate, and he ran out of gas at the wrong time. That's a legitimate gripe, I think. If it had become apparent early on that he couldn't go, maybe Keyon Dooling could have stepped up and gotten into the flow of things. As it was, Wade played some excellent ball on offense in the third, but burned his reserves and was a complete liability at both ends by the fourth quarter, and the Champs took advantage. I'd note that Wade also did a poor job of creating shots in this one; 3 assists for your primary ballhandler is not a good sign, injured or no. They needed a "Jordan with the flu" game from him and didn't get it. Not his fault; he did the best he could, but like the "next MJs" before him, he's got a long way to go.

BTW, for the record, Detroit doesn't have a bench. They have Antonio McDyess and three deeply flawed players. Hunter is effective for short spurts, but that's all. Arroyo is a good player but Larry Brown hates him, so he doesn't play. Campbell's only value was in the six fouls he had to give Shaq; he'll be stapled to the bench for the Finals.

Back
Top Bottom