Official Josh Norman is a Free Agent – Miami Rumors Super Thread | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Josh Norman is a Free Agent – Miami Rumors Super Thread

He had one good season on a very good defense. I'm from Charlotte and never really heard of him until this year. Not enough sample size to throw the kind of money he wants at him. Pass.

His one good season is better than any current CB on the roster. He may not be worth the amount he's looking for but if Miami signed him it'd be a gigantic problem solved.

Question for people with actually some knowledge about this, rather than wild speculators.

What would the knock-on implications be for your nickel/safety formation if you played press on one boundary and off or zone on the other?

It's ideal schematically to have both CBs performing the same role in the system obviously. But if we don't find a good press guy or we felt Norman/Hargreaves/AN Other were worth it anyway, how might the scheme be twisted to fit an uneven boundary system?

I am indifferent to bringing him in.

But make no mistake, the cap is not the issue. Can easily be structured in there. Not to mention 15 million tied up just between Dion Jordan and Cam Wake.

I would feel better about this if I knew we were certain to draft great this year and next year.

You can compete this year if you do it (and of course stay healthy at key positions). . . And that intrigues me.

I would sign Norman then draft a first round corner.

Perhaps ... but thus far his performance has been solidly a bust. He is still very raw ... and while I like the tools and attitude ... raw is unacceptable. He needs to turn it on this year or become a backup and push through next offseason ... or he simply may not be re-signed.

nah

His one good season is better than any current CB on the roster. He may not be worth the amount he's looking for but if Miami signed him it'd be a gigantic problem solved.

"Better than any current CB on roster".....not much of a point considering who's on the roster. But I think its clear he is for real and thats not the real question. The question is should we tie up all that money in him considering that money could free us up to be more aggressive in the future FA battles and add possibly several players of quality down the road. We're not one or two players away and also have a good shot of picking up a good CB at 13 next week....Just a thought, truthfully I can go either way just think passing the better alternative.

I would like to sign Norman and then Ragland becomes a nice target in the first. Improve both pass def and run def.

Question for people with actually some knowledge about this, rather than wild speculators.

What would the knock-on implications be for your nickel/safety formation if you played press on one boundary and off or zone on the other?

It's ideal schematically to have both CBs performing the same role in the system obviously. But if we don't find a good press guy or we felt Norman/Hargreaves/AN Other were worth it anyway, how might the scheme be twisted to fit an uneven boundary system?

Concepts like these are sometimes employed in defensive sub packages vs 3x1 or Trips formations where you might have the field or read side in Quarters and the boundary or away side in Cover 2 man, but more often than not the typical scheme will have CB's in coverage that mirror each other.

Mirror coverage holds especially true for us at the moment where we are saying to playing split safeties since we do not currently have a true FS at this time on the roster.

VJ was only the DB coach and not the DC in Cincy (obviously) but the Bengals Cover 2 was often used to disguised Cover 3 where in "Sky" coverage the 2 CB and safety share 1/3 deep responsibilities. Meaning again, mirror type coverage on the outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps ... but thus far his performance has been solidly a bust. He is still very raw ... and while I like the tools and attitude ... raw is unacceptable. He needs to turn it on this year or become a backup and push through next offseason ... or he simply may not be re-signed.

I like Billy Turner, but this is spot on. The training wheels are off. Time to make a major step forward or else he's a backup.

What a Weird Season

We actually don't know how any of this is going to work out. Is Max a bust or Boon, same with Alonso. OL healthy are guys able to fill new rolls....What about RB Ajayi #1?...Damn even Ryan is a question mark. Sure wish we had a few more legitimate answers before we tie up all this money, because we also could be needing a lot more than we think if things don't work out properly and the extra cap huge..

Sean Smith got 10 a year, he can easily get 15 a year, thats too rich for us, can we cut and restructure some more bodies? sure

I think Abramson said that we are 47 million under the cap next year as it currently stands and it will go up, SO, if we can go big on year 2 or 3 but 10 Mill this year? it can get done

Concepts like these are sometimes employed in defensive sub packages vs 3x1 or Trips formations where you might have the field or read side in Quarters and the boundary or away side in Cover 2 man, but more often than not the typical scheme will have CB's in coverage that mirror each other.

yeah cause you are just asking for a lot of miscommunication and confusion...and Miami hasn't has a stellar communicator in terms of secondary coverage calls etc since renaldo hill

so if we are trying to match Maxwell we need to be about getting a press ideal corner fit on the boundary at least

From what I saw of Norman, he's the real deal. Some players are a flash in the pan due to factors (a flurry of easy matchups, maybe getting confidence and on a roll) but its illusory.

Not Norman, he plays tough now. I think you get a good player for 4 years (ages 28-32). 4 years at $64 million with some good guarantees seems appropriate.

You can screw around with guarantees and make the cap number work. This is a need that could be solved with a gift falling out of the sky. Similar to Chad Pennington in '08.

I'd rather the Dolphins draft two CB's.

this is a deep CB draft and it would make tons of sense to go this way, cheaper and ONE of those rookie CB's will pop if not both....BUT Norman solidifies the defensive Backfield, helps ALL positions on the field and along with Jones, it will certainly take pressure off of Max,

this make sense for all reasons

yeah cause you are just asking for a lot of miscommunication and confusion...and Miami hasn't has a stellar communicator in terms of secondary coverage calls etc since renaldo hill

so if we are trying to match Maxwell we need to be about getting a press ideal corner fit

Yep. And unless Quddus proves he can play with the range and smarts at the FS position (played SS in Detriot) we still lack a field general in the secondary.

Back
Top Bottom